The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

He provides only the best amplification and source for those precious cans!

Couldn't have said it better.  He also thinks the HV is bad with the 009's, he should try that SRM-323S... 

I also love his response about age.  Sure, being younger will often lead to better hearing but experience is the key here.  Well that and not being an idiot. 

• Like 1

lol ^

Sounds to me like he can't afford a BHSE, KGSSHV or SR-009, so he shits on them to make himself feel better. Maybe he'd prefer the crappy Cavalli Liquid Crap or EC Electra to warm (read "muddy") them up?

Sounds to me he hasn't even heard a KGSSHV, BHSE or 009's at all or even in the same room or combination. But oh wait I do recall him posting about his impressions on the mediocre findings he found with the KGSSHV he heard at a meet, like meet impressions even mean anything, a great way to trying new gear yes, but not the last thing you'd rely on when somebody else asks you "ohh how is amp x, y and z" because you spent 10 minutes with said amp's in a noisy environment listening to the demo Lady Gaga cd.  ::)

The other funny thing I've noticed is since he sold his HE60 and buying the Omega, his posts almost sound like "ohh I've heard and own the Omega now and I can rip on things I haven't heard or owned".

Those people at head-fi drive me nuts. They are so full of s**t they stink the whole place. :dinny: 

Yes indeed but I'm more spewing about my profile being banned which has led to me being unable to view PM's on a whole and I have received 6 new PM's since being banned, one of those PM could be my promotion to being an official head-fi Moderator or Administrator.

>:D 

Yes indeed but I'm more spewing about my profile being banned which has led to me being unable to view PM's on a whole and I have received 6 new PM's since being banned, one of those PM could be my promotion to being an official head-fi Moderator or Administrator.

>:D

Are you permanently persona non grata or just temporarily? Edited by eggil

Are you permanently persona non grata or just temporarily?

The former it seems. But from what I've heard from other members first time is 6 months then permanently on the next occurrence. Personally I don't give a shit not being able to post but I'd really like it if they could restore read and write access to PM's whilst banned then I can tell certain people to go pound sand without a nosy mod or admin up my ass.

Edited by DefQon

I was banned by Anakchan. After he cleaned up my response to the post mentioned in the above link, I was being chased by him via PM's for 3 weeks up until the April Fools Astell and Kern K480 $5k DAP thread, 3 weeks before he posted a link to the head-fi posting guidelines which he said if I agreed or not but I never responded then up until I made a few posts in the Astell and Kern thread he sent me a PM threatening me that he would lock me out of all threads on Head-fi from posting if I didn't agree to the link he sent me. I told him straight up that he was making a threat and that Jude runs the forum not him but the catch is I never agreed or disagreed to anything so I was coming from a neutral position. Few minutes later I received a new from him which I didn't get to view and couldn't because I was banned. KG asked me about it and mentioned I should take it up with Jude, but what's the point?

Edited by DefQon

Indeed so here is something Stax related.  This one has been discussed before:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36525626565

Well I did some digging and found some pretty poor internal pics but I'm 99% sure that this is indeed a KGSS.  Certainly uses Kevin's BH power supply and the layout matches so we've naturally ordered one...  :)

I just need to delete all my recordings with treble and find out what everybody else plays at meets :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure we can find a far more elegant solution to that.  ;D  *Goes off to design a low pass filter for Stax*...

Since you have a KGSSHV now, does it make you want to rip out your ears with the 009?  I'm a year older than you so clearly half deaf by now... 

Well, now I'm back down to an O2 Mk1, HE-60, and LNS with KGBH or HEV-70 to drive them (and a half built hybrid eXTatA).

No more SR-009 and KGSS for now.  

Despite what some say, I thought the SR-009 was a slightly warmer and punchier sounding version of the HE-60, but with the KGBH amp the HE-60 are MUCH better than other amps.

Don't look know, but Mr. Plankton Moron has made an appearance...he's the one that likes the muddy/slow Cavalli flavor.

Well naturally since somebody could possibly have dissed that piece of shit 45 amp that he's peddling for Eddie Current.  You know the one that screams at you when you power it on.  Pure quality there...

One aspect of that whole discussion is the ludicrous concept of how Stax "voice" the headphones.  It's quite clear that Stax have just one goal when designing transducers and that's to make them better, something which doesn't always work out.  Ever since day one in 1959 it's been about getting better diaphragms which then in turn means the structure is the issue which then needs to be redone and then the cycle repeats.  There have been a few exceptions from this rule such as the SR-Omega but that in turn lead to the 007 which ticked both boxes so not a whole lot of difference.  Then the 007 SZ2 which fixed some issues for a better product but generated a whole lot of other problems which the SZ3 set out to fix.  Then they dropped in the new diaphragm which made everything even worse... 

In terms of amp design this could be compared to increasing feedback, it will yield some better specs but over all you are getting something that sounds progressively worse.  Not magic to this, it's just that THD is pretty meaningless as the sole basis of amp design.  I also know full well that Stax believe each new version is an improvement and in some aspects they are, but some do miss the point a bit.  The LNS was a bit too mellow for some people so the SR-404 spiced things up a bit which didn't work too well.  They also introduced new earpads then which didn't work all that well either. 

If only the HF thread didn't de-evolve into monkeys throwing poop at each other.  Thank god for the "search this thread" tool though!!

I'm basically reading: It's not the headphone fault... it's the amp.  The amp needs to be shitter!

I did like the 009 in the time I had with them at least.  Now they are simply too far out of my reach... meh.

Also Stax related.  I ordered a second set of Lambda pads from Amazon USA this time and kinda got screwed but not too bad at least at $49.  I ordered for the 404LE and did not get the black leather pads but rather the 407 brown pads after 3 weeks :(  Smarter to go through Amazon.co.jp and use forwarding service if you want the 404LE/507 pads.

Edited by Mr.Sneis

Indeed so here is something Stax related.  This one has been discussed before:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36525626565

Well I did some digging and found some pretty poor internal pics but I'm 99% sure that this is indeed a KGSS.  Certainly uses Kevin's BH power supply and the layout matches so we've naturally ordered one...  :)

Let us know if it turns out to be a good design or not and whether or not it can be fixed easily if it's bad, did a currency conversion and a $600 KGSS is a pretty bargain.

Edited by DefQon

Well naturally since somebody could possibly have dissed that piece of shit 45 amp that he's peddling for Eddie Current.  You know the one that screams at you when you power it on.  Pure quality there...

One aspect of that whole discussion is the ludicrous concept of how Stax "voice" the headphones.  It's quite clear that Stax have just one goal when designing transducers and that's to make them better, something which doesn't always work out.  Ever since day one in 1959 it's been about getting better diaphragms which then in turn means the structure is the issue which then needs to be redone and then the cycle repeats.  There have been a few exceptions from this rule such as the SR-Omega but that in turn lead to the 007 which ticked both boxes so not a whole lot of difference.  Then the 007 SZ2 which fixed some issues for a better product but generated a whole lot of other problems which the SZ3 set out to fix.  Then they dropped in the new diaphragm which made everything even worse... 

In terms of amp design this could be compared to increasing feedback, it will yield some better specs but over all you are getting something that sounds progressively worse.  Not magic to this, it's just that THD is pretty meaningless as the sole basis of amp design.  I also know full well that Stax believe each new version is an improvement and in some aspects they are, but some do miss the point a bit.  The LNS was a bit too mellow for some people so the SR-404 spiced things up a bit which didn't work too well.  They also introduced new earpads then which didn't work all that well either. 

You mean that loud start up sound isn't a good thing?  ;D I found it quite funny actually...what other manufacturer comes to market with a product like that and says: "we meant to do that"?