The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

These are very hard to work on so I wouldn't attempt a DIY repair and have Stax do it. The cable might still work but it's a very old Mk1 so the cable is doomed regardless...

Also check for dust in the drivers as that's one of the reasons the housing was changed. All the early Mk1 drivers I have here were removed due to dust issues.

I see that the cable on this old pair of O2, mk1 headphones looks different than on more recent models. Are these old cables inherently inferior and prone to issues?

When you say the drivers were removed, do you mean: (1) removed, cleaned, and reinstalled, or (2) removed and replaced with new drivers?

Thanks for your input, Birgir.

Yup, all Mk1 cables will die at some point.  The problem is the strain relief or rather that it is purely there for decoration.  On the SR-Omega it bends and that is also the case with the 007Mk2/009 but on the Mk1 it's just too stiff. 

Stax never clean drivers or attempt any repairs.  They are simply replaced with what ever is in current production at the time. 

So let's say you have a 007 Mk1 that you bought from KuboTen hell knows how long. Let's also say that it's going intermittent every once in a while in the right channel. What do you do as far as repairing it? Are Stax willing to work on a headphone like that? Last time I tried to get them to do something they told me to go to the local distributor, which in turn told me to go straight to Stax, and in the end nothing got done.

So let's say you have a 007 Mk1 that you bought from KuboTen hell knows how long. Let's also say that it's going intermittent every once in a while in the right channel. What do you do as far as repairing it? Are Stax willing to work on a headphone like that? Last time I tried to get them to do something they told me to go to the local distributor, which in turn told me to go straight to Stax, and in the end nothing got done.

The UK service center will do it no questions asked.  They also reply to emails which is always a welcome thing... 

I grabbed those 007A's.  I did very little research before hand.  What is to be done to make this model as good as it can be?  Is there a port to be modded, cable replaced, driver housing doped with craft foam, etc,?

The port needs to be filled and the spring inside the earpads expanded in size and flattened so that the pads can be used as if on the Mk1.  Then you adjust the arcs over the head, bending them into the right position for the most comfortable setting.  The right amount of pressure and angle. 

The port needs to be filled and the spring inside the earpads expanded in size and flattened so that the pads can be used as if on the Mk1.  Then you adjust the arcs over the head, bending them into the right position for the most comfortable setting.  The right amount of pressure and angle. 

Check.  I look forward to it.  Thanks, Birgir.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find an active discussion on diy stat phones so posted here. Finally some well deserved recognition for the master chef of stat diys: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/extraordinary-diy-electrostatic-headphones-chinsettawong . Wachara, the usage of car audio speaker grills turned out quite nice didn't it!

congrats again,

arnaud

• Like 1

Phenomenal post, and a truly amazing effort by Chinsettawong.  Very, very cool.  I had a friend over tonight, and I was explaining that I had the Sr-007A (with Birgir's mods) and the HD800 in house, which represented what I believe to be the best Electrostat and the best Dynamic headphones ever made.  He said "Sure, expect for the guy who built some better pair in his basement".  he may have been more right than he knew.

Edited by Sherwood