The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

A few of us have heard the older Stax...  ::)

I remember being impressed by the SR-5NB (A.k.a. SR-5 Gold) when i last heard them.  Same drivers as the SR-X mk.3.  Slightly newer than the SR-3, but excellent nonethtless.

I heard also the SR-5 Gold and the SR-X mk3, but i´m more impressed with the performance of the older SR-3 New. ;D

if you read the French forum, the manufacturer has already decided

that 1:5 transformers cause all sorts of grief, and now they are making

1:14 and 1:20 transformers.

As far as I understand, there are several transformers in this box : one transformer with 1:5 ratio, to be plugged on a OTL headphones amp with "medium" voltage output (around 100V, what the RKV claims), and another one (in beetween 1:14 and 1:20) to be plugged on a regular speaker amp, as for these brave old SRD boxes.

I may be french, but there are simply too much words in some posts on this french forum to extract the exact meaning of all this  ;D

Ali

Yes the SR3 was my very first set of Stax when they were launched back the and I've had most models since then! There is not much else that compares even today  :dan:   

How is the quality of the other very old Stax models and there are any other experience with this nice SR-3 New?

so alex released his latest $4700 piece of crud

http://cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=morestuff&stuffId=13

notice the LDR volume attenuator.

notice the distortion of the LDR

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/80194-lightspeed-attenuator-new-passive-preamp-134.html#post1520243

notice the pile of soldered in jumpers tying the 3 boards together making it absolutely

impossible to ever fix the thing.

at least the load for the tubes/mosfet is now more rational on a single heatsink

kind of feel sorry for all those llmk1 and llmk2 owners whose amps are now worth nothing...

The depreciation of the LLmk2 I was just offered is in excess of 60% is less than a year so people have to be bonkers to buy this crap. 

I truly love the use of the 6S4A as a gain device and not the output tube.  Let's not use the component that is perfect for that role, nope let's use some high capacitance mosfets instead.  The LDR  is also too stupid to fathom and that on top of the drv134 distortion means pure win. 

I thought Lightning never strikes twice!  :indra:

Yeh lots and lots of LL's for sale on various forums besides HF but don't sell

so alex released his latest $4700 piece of crud

http://cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=morestuff&stuffId=13

notice the LDR volume attenuator.

notice the distortion of the LDR

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/80194-lightspeed-attenuator-new-passive-preamp-134.html#post1520243

notice the pile of soldered in jumpers tying the 3 boards together making it absolutely

impossible to ever fix the thing.

at least the load for the tubes/mosfet is now more rational on a single heatsink

kind of feel sorry for all those llmk1 and llmk2 owners whose amps are now worth nothing...

• Like 1

so remember ZENITH...

The quality goes in before the name goes on.

(ok you have to be at least my age to remember this)

(and between 1965 and about 1980 compared to everything else it was actually true)

well cavalli is the reverse of that

The quality never goes in, but sure is a pretty box

It would have been so much easier to add terminal blocks on one end of each board

On impulse I snatched up a SR-202.  At first listen it is very apparent the Lambda Nova Signature is superior as they have a significantly richer midrange and are perfect in the bass.  The 202 on the other hand is more neutral and not quite enough bass, I also think they are noticeably brighter.  The ear-side foam is rotted out on the 202's so that foam is 90% not present; not sure if these are keepers to bother with the cleanup yet!

Is alcohol ok to clean a diaphragm? I've got 2 more SR-3/New SR-3 with imbalance and no sound output problem, the diaphragm from one of them was kind of dirty but I re-coated it anyway. Sound output ok but kind of distorts on the low end if I put the volume up to high. Remember reading from the esl thread on the other site wachara mentioned cleaning with acetone or alcohol. 

@spritzer, I've got a SRM-3 heading my way and the board it uses is basically my Xh, what do I have to do to give it balanced input like you did with your Xh with lemo connectors?

Since the SRM-3 has space and using a better ps then the wallwart can it be rebuilt to provide a higher output power (think its 250-300v stock)?

Edited by DefQon

My first post here.  A question to the Stax experts.  

I recently purchased a used but in pristine condition Stax SR-007 Mk1.  It sounds and looks great.

Whenever it is biased though, the slightest pressure on the ear cup will generate this scratchy noise.  By slightest pressure, I mean sometimes even moving my head, the cable weight exerting the pressure might trigger the noise.  The manual warns of this and I have heard of it online, but I just wanted to know if it is normally that sensitive.  Do I have to worry that I have deteriorated transducers?  Thanks for your input.