The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Worth it - he uses a really nice Amphenol (?) silver contact plug - it is a committment, but he also puts the other side as well so the stinking HEV70 _can_ still be used. Not sure why you would ever go back, but, just in case.

So I'm guessing it's the Amphenol 86CP5.

I should try doing this myself:

gilmore4_9.jpg

So I'm guessing it's the Amphenol 86CP5.

I should try doing this myself:

Try option #4 http://apuresound.com/images/cables/hhe60.html on this page - I believe that is mine, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. The adapter is waste in comparison, sound wise.

Oh, and I think there is (or was) an error on that link from Headwize... specifics escape me.

The best wiring guide is in the HE90 service manual as they use the same color code. You can find it here http://www.audiogeek.net/files/he90.pdf. The wires are pretty thin and also have strings amongst them for support but its pretty easy separate the two.

The WPI plug is something like 3$ and does look ok but the Amphenols are a bit harder to find and you might need to do a bit of work on them. They are microphone connectors and that has the pins surrounded by a collar while the socket is exposed so you need to remove the collar.

The HE60s I sent to Alex turned out to be full of dust. It seems many that owned this fine headphone were more interested in conspicuous display (or ignorance) than they were in properly storing a known dust magnet. Given the investment (and now my only high end can), the fee for cleaning and addition of the Stax plug was to me well worth the cost. I certainly do not yet have the noive to open mine up for self-cleaning.

An added benefit (subjective as hell statement) is that the HEV70-Stax pigtail allows the use of the HEV70 with an easier to drive Stax phone. I tested the HEV70 and SR-003s and thought it suitable for a bedside solution, where you?ll soon be asleep anyway. Really though, it did not sound completely terrible and if it were not for an inbound srm-252, I?d consider the HEV and SR-003 for work and fishing camp.

Hey gang, good to be here.

Nanoha - Good move on the retermination decision. This will make every pro-biased Stax amp your new best friend. I'm using a KGSS as well and do not find the highs too bright at all, nor do I find the bass rolled off (by most standards). The HE60 with this amp just does so many things so well; a real pleasure to listen to.

the name n_Maher actually translates as licks burnt solder flux in a DIY language not even Head-Case would permit.

Nanoha - Good move on the retermination decision. This will make every pro-biased Stax amp your new best friend. I'm using a KGSS as well and do not find the highs too bright at all, nor do I find the bass rolled off (by most standards). The HE60 with this amp just does so many things so well; a real pleasure to listen to.

Cool. :D By the way, drp, I remember you had an Omega II as well (not 100% sure). If so, what is your opinion of the OII vs the HE60 out of the KGSS?

Cool. :D By the way, drp, I remember you had an Omega II as well (not 100% sure). If so, what is your opinion of the OII vs the HE60 out of the KGSS?

I haven't spent much time with the KGSS recently but these are very different phones with a clear nod to the O2's in over all SQ but the HE60 is just so much fun. It's this combination of a really fast sound with the detail retrieval of a 1um film under enormous tension. They are lacking in bass the same way as the 4070 is but it's not all that rolled off as the information is there but it is pretty subdued. Just be careful to have the He60 under a dustcover at all times as they do not like dust...

I only have a KGSS and SRM-T1W. Both the HE60 and O2 sound very good with the KGSS.

With the SRM-T1W, they are more laid-back, softer-sounding, less detailed and less refined. This works better with the HE60 than the O2, I think the O2 needs a more energetic and powerful amp behind it.

The HE60 is great with fast-paced pop or electronica. It is bright and fast, with plenty of treble details and crispness. The O2 can seem dark and a bit slow in comparison. But the O2 is ultimately more refined, and overall details are equal or better than the HE60. The HE60 can seem thin, lacking in body and lacking bass impact and texture in comparison.

Both the HE60 and O2 are superb. I prefer the O2 over the HE60. But listening to the HE60 is always an exciting experience.

My ranking of electrostats:

1. HE90

2/3. SR-Omega and SR-007

4. HE60

5. 4070

6. SR-SC1

The SR-Omega vs. SR-007 is difficult to decide. I don't have enough listening time with the SR-Omega yet, but based on my preference for a brighter and more open/airy sound, the SR-Omega might edge out the O2.

It's been quite some time since the rumors of the O3 coming out. I guess that is as likely as a Senn HD700/750/800whatever coming out next year. But probably more likely than Sennheiser doing another electrostatic can.

I think the Omega2 MK II is out. You guys can check moon-audio for more information.