The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Sennheiser celebrates its 70th in May 2015 so there will be a new high end model.  By that I mean high end, the 009 is dirt cheap compared to it. 

Actually, isn't the cup with a smaller diameter hole a helmholtz resonator to achieve eq target? The inner neoprene ring would be for setting the Q factor of the resonance (I assume it's tuned at 3-4kHz). The outer neoprene seals the edge of the driver against the cup, doesn't it?
Arnaud

With the SR-Omega the external screen is clearly there to add a bit of reverb and thus EQ.  Here it's just that they want to make the more expensive H3 sound better with the more open area.  They showed with the H1 that the dispersion pattern of electrostatics isn't something they truly comprehend as dumping this much backwave back through the driver will never sound good. 

5K for the headphones then the amp could be something to think about, but 50K seems way too expensive for a headphones rig.

didnt it take sennheiser >10 years to sell 300 sets of the Orpheus at $15k retail?

i bet at $50k they can sell them twice as fast now that headphones are hot

Sennheiser probably looked at that idiot from Poland's ebay Orpheus ads for $40k and went by that...

Oh you mean wiktor? He has had trouble selling some of his sets over the past 4 years at the prices he is asking.

You know I may shoot him a message and ask what's the deal with him owning like multiple pairs of all the most high end headphones ever made.

I prefer it if the next gen Orpheus be priced at $20k, at least something I can afford straightaway unless I get hitched then shit buh-bye headphones.

The other question is, how many will Justin grab onto as stock? And will there be an Aristeus 2 if the bias is different and demand for it.

The only difference between the he60 and the he90 headphones is the stator material.

the he60 uses fairly standard fr4, and the he90 uses some kind of plated glass. But

otherwise identical in every way. Same size and shape stators, same diaphrams,

same distances etc...

The drivers are actually very different in size with the HE90 having a surface area that's roughly 50% larger.  The HE60 uses some kind of plastic for the drivers which is then painted with the same gold paint as they used on the HE90 drivers to make them conductive. 

Don't agree that the HE60 > HE90 in any way.  I much, much prefer the HE90.  The HE60 sounds like a less veiled version of the HD600 but still pretty dry.  The HE90 has a much bigger soundstage, is more resolving, has cleaner and harder hitting bass, etc.  Best headphone ever IMO.

The only difference between the he60 and the he90 headphones is the stator material.

the he60 uses fairly standard fr4, and the he90 uses some kind of plated glass. But

same distances etc...

This isn't true...I've looked inside both and they're quite different.  I have all the measurements down for the HE90 but didn't really bother to do the same for the HE60 because the drivers on them are pretty small.  Even the hole shape on the HE90 stators is different and pretty damn clever.

Edited by n3rdling

Don't second user Orpheus with amp rigs go for $30k or so now?

No? The only person selling used Orpheus systems for $25k+ is wiktor. 

The drivers are actually very different in size with the HE90 having a surface area that's roughly 50% larger.  

Sounds about right, remember that thread wiktor made on h-fi when he made a custom baffle to secure a transplanted HE60 driver into his spare HE90 enclosure? I was surprised the driver assembly was held down to the baffle by 4 rods and 1 big elastic rubber.

Edited by DefQon
  • Like 1

same distances etc...

But it feels a bit lighter on the head, and the soundstage is much bigger.