The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Nope, but on high bias, any dust in the drivers makes a great deal more noise. If you don't mind taking the drivers apart, you could clean the stators with sticky tape and very carefully blow any dust on the membrane off.

Thanks for the replies :)

I have now let the lambda pro plugged in for a couple of hours, which helped a lot about the crackling. Then I opened the frames and discovered gaffa tape around the connectors which touched the stator. There is a resistor soldered to the connectors on each side, too. There wasn't really much dirt, I just removed the gaffa tape. 

There is still light crackling and squeaking but that may be related to my head and ears moving and touching the inside of the cups.

The squeal in left driver of my 009s is back and worse than ever so as of this afternoon they are on their way to Accutech for repair. The driver squeal wasn't the only issue I was having and they probably needed to go in for servicing at any rate. Most notably the leather headpad has all but torn loose from the rest of the headphone assembly and is going to need to be replaced as well.

I sure hope it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Hmmm.... I'm having an odd issue with these Gamma pro drivers I'm trying to repair, the balance is randomly swaying between left and right when running on pro bias (had some swaying at normal bias too, but it stops after a while). Could it be that I have assembled the drivers wrong and the drivers are drawing more current off the bias than they should? I also noticed that plugging these phones in causes mini brown-outs for my DAC/usb converter too.

Something is very wrong here.  How on earth are the phones affecting the source? 

In a way that is similar to what happens when I unplug a fan etc. I think its just that my source is more sensitive to it than other things.

Upon closer inspection, it sounds like its just one channel whose levels are fluctuating... I'm going to see if putting the spacer on the other side of the diaphragm does anything.

Update: Found the problem, its the bias connection.

Edited by Tachikoma

I heard some rumors about the SR -009 being changed. I'll welcome that because I always thought it to be too bright.

Now I found some measurements on Tylls site that look to me like a prove of that claim.

Old Version:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...009SZ91278.pdf

New Version?:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...Z92251KGSS.pdf

Tyll made a second measurement of the 009 because Spritzer gave him a KGSS to use as a reference, not because he had two different 009s. The measurements are also almost identical.

The two links you meant to post are:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/more-stax-measurements-sr-009-sr-007-sr-507-sr-404-ltd-sr-404-and-sr-003

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/stax-mafia-makes-unrefusable-offer-and-i-begin-electrostatic-headphone-measurement-program

Just received an SR-Gamma Pro. And I wonder how to change the headpad, since its a bit stiff, stiffer than today's pads and also plastic-framed vintage pads.

There aren't any screws on the mounting parts, only plastic chips...and I don't want to break anything. 

Did anyone already performed this ?

Thanks.

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha