The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

There's too much mysticism surrounding Stax drivers.  It didn't sound like your problem would ever result in "a bad diaphragm that needs replacing".  Open them up in as clean an environment as you can manage and get the dust/hair off the membrane.  You have buzzing so there's something small creating an arc...if you had channel imbalance that'd be a different story. 

There's too much mysticism surrounding Stax drivers.  It didn't sound like your problem would ever result in "a bad diaphragm that needs replacing".  Open them up in as clean an environment as you can manage and get the dust/hair off the membrane.  You have buzzing so there's something small creating an arc...if you had channel imbalance that'd be a different story. 

good luck TMoney!

Pardon me but my head is ringing, If I read that correctly, you spent for example $3k for a 009 which developed a high pitch noise, you sent it to Yama's for repair. Yama has gotten back and quoted $2950 for a repair or you can buy a new pair straight from them for $3250? So original 009 + new/repaired 009 = nearly $6k?

$2000 for a pair of drivers bit excessive me thinks :/

Edited by DefQon

Thanks for all the advice, gang.

I emailed Yama's back to see if they can't be a little more flexible on the prices they sent me. I will have to ask them about the possibility cleaning the damaged driver as well. Given that they communicate at the speed of a carrier pigeon, I hope to hear back from them in the next 2-4 weeks.

It was good to take a night to sleep on it. When I first got the email I was ready to throw something across the room.

• Like 1

Very. My loudly squealing drivers were dead silent after I went through them with some sticky tape. I washed my membranes in water and recoated them before, though.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend washing and recoating the 009 membranes. it took me a great number of tries before I could get them balanced, and now the drivers are normal bias only. Re:cleaning the diaphragm. I did have good results from lightly wiping the membranes with my finger, but again, probably not a good idea with a 009 :P

Edited by Tachikoma

I'd never, ever touch the diaphragm with my bare fingers.  Nothing good can come of that. 

The tape can leave residue which can arc the drivers.  You need something that is sticky but takes next to no force to remove. 

It was an utterly fubar set of drivers, so I had no qualms doing that - it did solve the problem though. My thinking was that fingers leave no residue (other than a little oil), aren't overly abrasive and are sensitive to boot. There was a surprising amount of dust stuck on the membrane, which I could feel with my finger, that simply would not come off any other way, besides sticking it under running water.

Yeah, tapes that leave as little residue as possible would be good.

I'd never, ever touch the diaphragm with my bare fingers.  Nothing good can come of that. 

The tape can leave residue which can arc the drivers.  You need something that is sticky but takes next to no force to remove.

How about one of those washable reusable sticky rollers that you run over an album (LP) to get the dust out of the grooves?

Sorry to disappoint everyone who wanted to see the 009s dissected, but I'm going to take the easy way out.

Yama's ended up negotiating the trade-in price for a new pair down to a number I could stomach. It will be below what a new pair would have cost from PJ, but my wallet is still going to be absolutely crushed for the foreseeable future. Heres hoping for an X-mas bonus at work.

post-its work well but I somehow ended up messing up the left and right channel imbalance, a good 6db difference between the two. I was thinking the dust covers around the driver might be sticking together or something, is this possible? When I press the cups against my head I can hear the balance fixing itself momentarily.

Sorry if this sounds a bit repost-y, this is the original condition in which I received the headphones.