The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Has anyone of us own them? Wonder what they sound like? What kind of issues anyway?

The fart is mostly gone and the bass has been altered with the new earpads so unlike the Mk1 which boomed away totally uncontrolled on a table the Mk2's have no bass unless they make a good seal on the head. This is similar to the 4070 and the owner of the working unit said it has even more bass punch then the Mk1. The acoustical loading of the drivers has changed so they might be slightly easier to drive but not by much. I'm still waiting on the Japanese street price for a SR-007A before I buy one though I'd really like an export model.

The fart is mostly gone and the bass has been altered with the new earpads so unlike the Mk1 which boomed away totally uncontrolled on a table the Mk2's have no bass unless they make a good seal on the head. This is similar to the 4070 and the owner of the working unit said it has even more bass punch then the Mk1. The acoustical loading of the drivers has changed so they might be slightly easier to drive but not by much. I'm still waiting on the Japanese street price for a SR-007A before I buy one though I'd really like an export model.

spritzer do you have the link for the ebay auction with the black Omega 2?

By the way, does anyone have an idea of how many watts the HE60 needs via SRD-7 to sound good? :P

It's not that much so 5w should be plenty. Dumping huge amounts of power into a SRD-7 is a moot point as speaker amps deliver much more current while the voltage stays pretty much the same and stats need voltage.

I'll probably be buying the black Stax Omega II to make the rounds at meets next year :kitty:

Way to go preaching the gospel :dance:

It's not that much so 5w should be plenty. Dumping huge amounts of power into a SRD-7 is a moot point as speaker amps deliver much more current while the voltage stays pretty much the same and stats need voltage.

Haha I see. What would you think is a better choice: getting a SRM-T1 (modded) or a nice tube power amp (low power) to SRD-7?

Haha I see. What would you think is a better choice: getting a SRM-T1 (modded) or a nice tube power amp (low power) to SRD-7?

Depend really on what you are looking for as it is a toss up between the extra dynamic sound or the intimacy and detail retrieval of an OTL amp. I prefer the amps but you could get a used T1 cheap so that might be the better choice.

Depend really on what you are looking for as it is a toss up between the extra dynamic sound or the intimacy and detail retrieval of an OTL amp. I prefer the amps but you could get a used T1 cheap so that might be the better choice.

Sorry, I think I just confused myself. Which one is which? :P

It's probably because I haven't slept yet in more than a day, but I'm still confused. :D

Okay, let's try this again.

Transformers = more dynamic sound = srd-7

Amps = more detail = OTL amp = you prefer = srm-t1

I probably got it totally wrong. Gahhhh.

I can't read and I can't think. So sorry. :dance:

Hey Staxenheads:

I have the SRD-7. What exactly is the pro-bias equivalent of this called, i.e. one that can be used with the Omega Deuce? The SRD-7 Pro?

I'm thinking about keeping my eyes open for one of these, thanks.

SRD-7 MKII - One normal jack, one pro jack

SRD-7 MKII Pro - Two pro jacks

Good luck on the hunt. ;)

Hey Staxenheads:

I have the SRD-7. What exactly is the pro-bias equivalent of this called, i.e. one that can be used with the Omega Deuce? The SRD-7 Pro?

I'm thinking about keeping my eyes open for one of these, thanks.

You are looking for the SRD7 Pro or SRD 7 MkII.The latter provides either "Pro" and the older six pin "Normal" bias jacks.There are also the socalled SB variants.SB means self biased and is inferior IMO.

You probably won't get the Stax Pro transformer boxes for cheap nowadays anymore.$200 is quite normal nowadays.

You are looking for the SRD7 Pro or SRD 7 MkII.The latter provides either "Pro" and the older six pin "Normal" bias jacks.There are also the socalled SB variants.SB means self biased and is inferior IMO.

Just as a side note, I believe the SB has two normal jacks. (That is the one Posty has.)

You probably won't get the Stax Pro transformer boxes for cheap nowadays anymore.$200 is quite normal nowadays.

Hmm, yeah, Head-Fiers seem to have been recently selling them for around $200 on eBay. My hunt for one turned out slightly better.

I regret selling my SRD-7/MKII Pro adapter. *slaps self*