The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The lego is very fitting...  ;D

There are copper pins that hold them together.  Pull them out and the drivers open up.  Watch out for the front stator wire which is very easy to break. 

Yup, 1600$ isn't bad at all. 

Edit:  As for the sound, I still like it a lot.  I know I'll have to change the springs and move the earpads to the Mk1 position eventually but I'm digging the extra harmonics in the bass region.  It's easy enough to move press the cups towards the head to hear how they should sound. 

Thanks Spritzer, I did tug vaguely at those pins but they didn't seem overly willing to come out. Now I know they're the key I'm pull with more confidence.

Cheers

You can easily fix the imbalance issues assuming the mylar membrane has seen too much sun light resulting in a complete sag like the pictures I posted Duffer quoted.

To remove the 4 bronze pins don't use a flat head screw driver you`re going to be putting to much pressure and may end up cracking the plastic housing. Use a thin, sturdy but sharp Stanley or kitchen cutting knife and carefully pry it open with the sharp side in between the head of the pin and the plastic housing.

trying out my 009 with Marc's bh and a vintage analog research segue dac. I like what I'm hearing, not perceiving as much brightness as I remember

That smacks of wickedness....I'm jealous.  KGST should land shortly as it's now in TX and I'll see what she brings.

;D

HS

more like I need to stop looking at the self price quote so I don't end up buying it

Birgir can you comment on the build issues? Are there any which may affect the longevity a la mk1 cable strain relief?

No build issues I can see.  Stax have learned their lessons on the older 007's.  

That smacks of wickedness....I'm jealous.  KGST should land shortly as it's now in TX and I'll see what she brings.

;D

HS

To quote an email I got this morning:

On the SR-009 and the KGSSHV, it sounds very nice, but the emotion and energy just don’t get through. But when the 009 is paired with the KGST, I just want to dance on my desk again! The instruments have regained some meat, and that diffuseness is mostly gone.

A lush 009, it’s a miracle! ;)

'nuff said.  :)

• Like 1

You can easily fix the imbalance issues assuming the mylar membrane has seen too much sun light resulting in a complete sag like the pictures I posted Duffer quoted.

To remove the 4 bronze pins don't use a flat head screw driver you`re going to be putting to much pressure and may end up cracking the plastic housing. Use a thin, sturdy but sharp Stanley or kitchen cutting knife and carefully pry it open with the sharp side in between the head of the pin and the plastic housing.

Thanks Spritzer for all your advice. The job's now done and my SR3s are sounding beautifully balanced and as wonderfully clear as ever they were.

Much appreciated.

The 4 bronze pins are small screws on SR-X, right ?

First, cup opening, then unscrew those 4 ones which are inside the plastic housing of the driver...and what's next ? I assume I have to remove the metal-ringed dust cover (ear-side), but don't know how  ???

Edit : forget it, understood now. Carefully disassembled, driver is fine, carefully re-assembled, sound is still the same (with imbalance), I've made no mistakes. Gonna get some antistatic solution tomorrow for recoating.

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha

Yeah make sure when you're applying the antistatic goop don't apply too much pressure this stretches out the mylar (which you can re-tension using a heat gun but not back to Stax spec's). Use the least amount of pressure possible and evenly spread it out, let it dry then install the spacer back in otherwise the surface is still wet and sticks to the stator. You need to coat both sides.

Yeah make sure when you're applying the antistatic goop don't apply too much pressure this stretches out the mylar (which you can re-tension using a heat gun but not back to Stax spec's). Use the least amount of pressure possible and evenly spread it out, let it dry then install the spacer back in otherwise the surface is still wet and sticks to the stator. You need to coat both sides.

Any antistatic spray / gel will do ? I'll be unable to find the floor cleaner Wachara uses..I'm not in Thailand  ^-^

Ali

Any antistatic spray / gel will do ? I'll be unable to find the floor cleaner Wachara uses..I'm not in Thailand  ^-^

Ali

Any computer screen/lcd cleaner gel. I don't use the spray only the gel which stays on forever. Or you can buy some Staticide liquid solution which will be a permanent fix.

Glad it worked out for you.

Looks like celebrations might have been a bit too precipitous. After leaving the SR3's on for 24hrs they reverted back to their old state after 10mins of listening this afternoon. They were fine to begin with. Was it a big mistake to use anti-static liquid instead of gel do you suppose, or might something more fundamental be amiss.

D

SR-3 pads will work but the SR-1 never shipped with those pads.  I used the Brainwavez HM5 pads on mine as they are close to the original  shape. 

Well, do you think that I should get Brainwavez HM5 earpad?

Or is it OK to use SR-3 pad?

I also am thinking about get a SR-3 to replace some parts of SR-1, so how do you think about it?

Looks like celebrations might have been a bit too precipitous. After leaving the SR3's on for 24hrs they reverted back to their old state after 10mins of listening this afternoon. They were fine to begin with. Was it a big mistake to use anti-static liquid instead of gel do you suppose, or might something more fundamental be amiss.

D

My try with monster iClean antistatic (got it at work for free) is also a failure, no temporary improvement. I'll try something else. ;D

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha

Well, do you think that I should get Brainwavez HM5 earpad?

Or is it OK to use SR-3 pad?

I also am thinking about get a SR-3 to replace some parts of SR-1, so how do you think about it?

I'd like the pads to be a bit higher and thicker but for the price, you can't go wrong.  If it is a late SR-1 then the SR-3 pads will work. 

Most of the parts of the late SR-1's are the same as on the SR-3's.  Not so much for the early ones.