The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'd like the pads to be a bit higher and thicker but for the price, you can't go wrong.  If it is a late SR-1 then the SR-3 pads will work. 

Most of the parts of the late SR-1's are the same as on the SR-3's.  Not so much for the early ones. 

I do not have information if this is late version or early version.

However, considering this one is working with SRM-X PRO, I think that it's later version.

Also, I do not have any SR-3 or SR-5 right now, can you figure out if this one is late version or early version?

This is picture of the SR-1 I have. (Link)

Sorry for the link, I have problems uploading photo on this thread.

Nice ! Did the Megatron an sort of mix of the warmer sound of KGST and the controls of KGSSHV ?

The KGST and the HV are pretty much the same circuit but the Megatron is very different so the same parallels can't be drawn.  This more like a high power version of the SRX

I do not have information if this is late version or early version.

However, considering this one is working with SRM-X PRO, I think that it's later version.

Also, I do not have any SR-3 or SR-5 right now, can you figure out if this one is late version or early version?

This is picture of the SR-1 I have. (Link)

Sorry for the link, I have problems uploading photo on this thread.

That is not the last version but one of the later ones.  Here is what a super old one looks like:

mqQsmBth.jpg

It was about 2 weeks ago when i finally heard the Stax 009 driven By the SRM-007TII (an unimpressive electrostatic amp apparently, it certainly didnt feel that way) in singapore. It was my first time listening to a proper electrostatic rig, and i've never had anything blow everything else i've heard out of the water as completely as that setup. HD800, Audeze's and whatever, all turned to shit. I remember borderline crapping myself and chanting "Im there, Im there, i'm fucking there", Norah Jones is in a bar singing, and im in the fucking front row.

The result of it is that i have lost most of my passion towards head-fi. I've sold of most of my gear as "Nothing compares, nothing compares, to you~~~". Every other bloody earphone and headphone i hear only seems to remind me how much im missing out. Right now, I honestly dont understand how people can was money on other shit if you have not gotten your stax system sorted yet. Its just such an insane pity that the sr-009 to bhse combo is so insanely far out of my budget and league.

I know the stax mafia hates these questions, but is there any setup you know of, that can come close to that combo for USD4k (im pushing it already) or less? 

Thanks.

Edited by Rotijon

I agree with Justin. I have not calculated the price, but if you have some diy skills you could get the 009 and a 007tll and do the 6s4a mod. I guess this way it should be similiar to a KGST which I think is a great amp for the 009. 

Furthermore, if you are comfortable with it, buy a 009 and build a KGST yourself. I think that might just fit the budget.

Edited by insanity

It was about 2 weeks ago when i finally heard the Stax 009 driven By the SRM-007TII ...  and i've never had anything blow everything else i've heard out of the water as completely as that setup ... Right now, I honestly dont understand how people can was money on other shit if you have not gotten your stax system sorted yet.

That was my exact reaction, to a 307/SRM-323S! Hasn't changed one jot since, just that I appreciate more deeply how good these are as I listen to more recordings. 

I'm a classical only guy (musician), why bother with anything else? Placed an order for the BHSE shortly thereafter to save a spot in line. 

Hi all, first post here. I've had the STAX bug for the last year and a half or so, I have the SR-202 with 507 pads and SRM-212 plus an original SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB.

I saw this on Head-fi, and although I was looking back over the past few pages and people were talking about Sigmas, isn't $330 a little high for what is basically a half-working set? http://www.head-fi.org/t/758880/stax-sr-sigma-headphones-one-side-no-sound

I heard the Sigmas (along with a few other lambdas) that a friend has and really liked them, but considering I think he paid about $500 for a set with the box and manual and everything from Japan, this price seems a bit steep.

Also on my SR-lambdas that I bought about 9 months ago, if I move the left channel cable where it enters the enclosure, it cuts out the sound and sort of makes a "static" sound. I haven't had the guts to open them yet but I assume it's an issue with the wiring? The cable on this set has definitely seen better days but I haven't been able to find a 6 pin replacement cable anywhere online so I've just been dealing with it. 

How hard would you guys say it is to open the lambda frame and find/solve the problem of the sound cutting out intermittently? I'm pretty experienced with taking apart other electronics and soldering stuff but I don't want to break these lambdas, I paid $200 for the set which I think was a bit too much given their condition but I still wanted them anyway given they sounded much better to my ears than the other, much better condition set the seller was selling with what I think was an SRD-6/SB.

Is head-fi down again?

Sorry man, the head-fi habits die hard. Ill go back to lurking around here. Don't think i have much to contribute in terms of electrostatics.

I must say, having heard the Stax, i kind of understand why this forum post so little in terms of other headphones other than diy. There is really no need to talk about sound anymore after the stax, you are just there.With the stax, you are now free to pursue other hobbies.

Thanks for the suggestion, i dont have any diy experience, so i think ill just put down a deposit for the BHSE, with the build time involved, funds should be ready by then. Ill just hang on till then with my trusty momentums.

Jon

Edit:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758322/kerry-blue-hawaii

Is there a difference between this and the headamp's, other than the alps pot and beautiful casing work. It seems like a really nice deal.

Edited by Rotijon

Rotijon, I have never seen Kerry's work in person, but judging from the posts and photos of his work on these forums, I consider him (  I've built electronic equipment myself for 40 years) the finest amp builder in this hobby.  No slight to the commercial version, which is superb, but I would bet his construction sets a quality and artistic standard that can't be pratically duplicated in a commercial product. 

• Like 1

If Kerry's amp is still available buy it. I am the proud owner of a DIYT2 he built for me and it is amazing. If that doesn't work out, and you cannot afford the HeadAmp BHSE, then go to Mjolnir Audio and see what Spritzer is selling or has coming up.

Edited by Voltron

Rotijon, I have never seen Kerry's work in person, but judging from the posts and photos of his work on these forums, I consider him (  I've built electronic equipment myself for 40 years) the finest amp builder in this hobby.  No slight to the commercial version, which is superb, but I would bet his construction sets a quality and artistic standard that can't be pratically duplicated in a commercial product.

This.

I believe it is a similar design to Justin's. I simply modified the current source for the output stage. Otherwise it is identical to the original Blue Hawaii design.

I'm flattered by the post :D

Haha, seeing how it was sold before i can make a decent offer, it must have been pretty amazing.

A six month old KGST just came up locally for 2.7K USD, ill see if i can talk him down a little.

I was recently directed to Birgir's website to look at one of his well-priced prototype-cased KGSSHVs, ended up with the KGSSHV Mini. Have wanted this size stat amp ever since Justin created the short run of smaller KGSS way back when. Along with the Opus 21 I purchased new in '06, I have the small overall footprint (~10"sq) I need. And with the spankin' new 009s,  really exceptional sound. 

When not spinning CDs, this is part of my PC rig; digital-in to Opus, listen to everything from Foobar lossless to watching Netflix to, for the hell of it, a redux of Doom 3 in 3D (devil is truly in the details; extra spooky....). Down the road, this will be a perfect rig for a cottage porch or similar small-area setting.

No runs-hot issues; the top plate gets just a tad warmer than the 727II this little jewel replaced.

post-392-0-75892900-1426702514_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like celebrations might have been a bit too precipitous. After leaving the SR3's on for 24hrs they reverted back to their old state after 10mins of listening this afternoon. They were fine to begin with. Was it a big mistake to use anti-static liquid instead of gel do you suppose, or might something more fundamental be amiss.

D

Try rinse aid. Worked beautifully with my SR-5/NB eventually.

Ali

I was recently directed to Birgir's website to look at one of his well-priced prototype-cased KGSSHVs, ended up with the KGSSHV Mini. Have wanted this size stat amp ever since Justin created the short run of smaller KGSS way back when. Along with the Opus 21 I purchased new in '06, I have the small overall footprint (~10"sq) I need. And with the spankin' new 009s,  really exceptional sound. 

When not spinning CDs, this is part of my PC rig; digital-in to Opus, listen to everything from Foobar lossless to watching Netflix to, for the hell of it, a redux of Doom 3 in 3D (devil is truly in the details; extra spooky....). Down the road, this will be a perfect rig for a cottage porch or similar small-area setting.

No runs-hot issues; the top plate gets just a tad warmer than the 727II this little jewel replaced.

Congrats Dave...The mini is superb looking isn't it?