The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

soz:

"Nonsensical internet slang term for "sorry", used by illiterate morons who for some reason substitute a “z” for “rry”, the latter of which would take an entire quarter of a second to type out."

"OMG, soz about that."

"Shut the fuck up."

Fuck this site,full of gimps

You more than likely won't see this post, but just in case you do Hifi Nutter, I've found on Head-Case a lot more honest opinion is given, without shills, unlike a certain other site.

I am auditioning SR009's with a Headamp KGSS.  The phones don't sound quite like I expected.  The bass is a bit lean and the overall sound is detailed, but somewhat dull.  Would a KGSSHV or a similar amp make a big difference or should I go back to the drawing board?

Thanks

Compared to...? It is easy to feel that they are bass shy if you are used to bass heavy headphones. It takes a while to adjust.

After listening to headphones with various dips and bumps in the frequency response, it is easy to feel that another headphones is dull, not having those isses.

Besides, the source can also make a big difference. But in the end they just might not be to your taste (plenty of others to choose from anyway)

Edited by padam

Have owned a number of older Stax phones over the years so I am quite used to the Stax sound.  Mostly listen to Classical, Jazz, Blues, and Classic Rock on a good quality high end SACD player.

Do the SR009's just need more peak to peak to make them sing (analogous to Magnepans needing lot's of wattage) in the conventional speaker world?

Based on my experience, going for a HV over a lower end amp like the 717 will have better bass control and soundstage, but won't cause a fundamental change in the sound (probably most important with an SR007 Mk1).

If you prefer an older Stax (which can be had for much less), then it is all the better for you.

Edited by padam
  • Like 1

soz:

"Nonsensical internet slang term for "sorry", used by illiterate morons who for some reason substitute a “z” for “rry”, the latter of which would take an entire quarter of a second to type out."

"OMG, soz about that."

"Shut the fuck up."

soz:

"OMG, soz about that."

"Shut the fuck up."

soz:

"OMG, soz about that."

"Shut the fuck up."

So your the gimp that texts laugh out loud rather than lol because Your not illiterate and can be arsed to put the augh ut oud every time lol,gimp

So your the gimp that texts laugh out loud rather than lol because Your not illiterate and can be arsed to put the augh ut oud every time lol,gimp

damn triple quotes and a cry of hypocrisy? we've got a professional in the building

you're butthurt is delectable