The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Fuck the multi quote,Dave r you have had an head injury so it wasn't aimed at you,you can't help it being tapped in the head,let's face it you must be to like this site it's a joke seriously laugh out loud

I've come back to head-case ( after being banned ) because no bull-shit is written about audio gear here.

Yes I have had an head injury from a motorcycle accident, but I bet you're more tapped in the head than I am. Sorry only joking.

I fear posting in here after that entertaining head-on collision and the fact that this will be boring as hell after that comedy, but...I've had my South American coffee so here goes. Please be gentle...

I've been listening to the Schitt ygg DAC into a KGST into 007A's purchased not long ago directly from Japan.  Zero mod's on the headphones.  Listening to the chain for weeks now.  Previously I was using a Beresford Caiman MkII DAC which I thought was pretty darn good for the price point and definitely better than the DAC in my Woo WA7 DAC/amp. There is gobs of detail, the highs are definitely there and if the source file is peaky then the sound is that as well.  The bass, holy crap is it there in spades.  It is all good, very good. The one thing I can't help but feel/hear is a bit of veil that resulted from the ygg (I'd likely get hung for suggesting this on the other site so I figured I'd brave this post).  I'm wondering if perhaps the Beresford was "bright" or is it perhaps that the ygg that's supposedly more like "analogue" that is resulting in the veil?  I have the same experience with the ygg into my dynamic rig (Woo WA7 to Fostex TH900's) which is V shaped but a hell of a lot of fun.

It's an extremely enjoyable chain, but it's not altogether what I was expecting.  Thinking about trying 009's with this chain as it might be a nice combination.  I listen to guitar blues / jazz, classic rock, and I like trip hop stuff like Nightmares on Wax and Gramatik, Zero 7, etc...  

Thoughts?  Soz for the rambling post...

HS

• Like 1

HS, I just bought a new pair of SR-007 MK2 from StaxUSA Memorial Sale to complement my SR-009.

Using my Yggy>KGST I have swapped between the two. I prefer the SR-009 to the unmodified ST-007 MK2 most of the time. The SR-009 sounds much more present and open. The SR-007 more resonant but distant. That's about

it for comparing in the week I have had both.

Finally got my parts ordered from Mouser for a KGSSHV Carbon yesterday. I am anxious to hear how that will drive the Staxen.

• Like 1

HS, I just bought a new pair of SR-007 MK2 from StaxUSA Memorial Sale to complement my SR-009.

Using my Yggy>KGST I have swapped between the two. I prefer the SR-009 to the unmodified ST-007 MK2 most of the time. The SR-009 sounds much more present and open. The SR-007 more resonant but distant. That's about

it for comparing in the week I have had both.

Finally got my parts ordered from Mouser for a KGSSHV Carbon yesterday. I am anxious to hear how that will drive the Staxen.

Thank you for sharing Laowei.  I am very curious indeed about the 009's in the ygg > KGST chain and your early reflections are most helpful.  I may just have to break down and purchase a pair so I can see for myself.  Your description as "distant" is likely what I am hearing as well.

HS

HS, I can add that my unmodded SR-007 is a little boring in comparison to the SR-009. I suspect that voicing could be adjusted with interconnects/tube rolling etc. I am using Herbie tube dampeners ATM.

Or you could try one or all of the Ric Shultz bullshit Yggy mods posted over on Head-Fi. I am sure there is a special fuse he would sell us that will do the trick. :D

Edited by Laowei
  • Like 2