The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

If the Carbon is said to be near if not on the same level as the BHSE, then the difference should be enough to discern.  Mulveling bought my KGST and he also like his full-sized KGSSHVs better (He has both the Sanyo & IXY versions).  A full-sized KGSSHV just has better resolving ability compared to the KGST that I used to have.

Thank you for that, purk.

HS

Sam,

The difference are not night and day at all and the KGST is still an exceptional sounding amplifier for both the 007 MKI and 009.  BTW, the 450V Sanyo & KGST are made from the same builder who is one of us so parts used should be similar.

Sam,

The difference are not night and day at all and the KGST is still an exceptional sounding amplifier for both the 007 MKI and 009.  BTW, the 450V Sanyo & KGST are made from the same builder who is one of us so parts used should be similar.

That is helpful, purk.  I tried to get my hands on a MkI from the UK but the deal fell through...dip.

The KGST I am using was kindly made for me by Geoff.  He afforded the option to swing 400v and I am glad I signed up for that.  To my ears, although the KGST is a tube amp it's got a lot of hybrid/SS characteristics.  Similar in that regard to the Woo WA7 I use for my TH900's.  I've spent many an hour in the recliner with the 007A/KGST combo and it never seems to fatigue me.

HS

Can confirm everything Purk's said. The KGST has slightly sweeter mids, but the 450V/500V KGSShv implementations I've heard won't be far off that, and they've also got a wider soundstage, more solid bass, and play cleaner louder (I do listen loud at times). Though if your KGST is 400V (mine is 350V), then it may eat into those advantages considerably (though I have no way to confirm myself yet)? That's probably a really nice amp you've got yourself there. 

• Like 1

Can confirm everything Purk's said. The KGST has slightly sweeter mids, but the 450V/500V KGSShv implementations I've heard won't be far off that, and they've also got a wider soundstage, more solid bass, and play cleaner louder (I do listen loud at times). Though if your KGST is 400V (mine is 350V), then it may eat into those advantages considerably (though I have no way to confirm myself yet)? That's probably a really nice amp you've got yourself there. 

Thank you, mulveling.  I would be lying if I said I was anything but pleased as punch with my KGST.  It's a relatively small footprint for one of these beasts and the build quality is exceptional.  Many hours on it with nothing but a smile on my face.  I can get it plenty loud for me, although I'm not the head banger I once was.  Still like to crank the rock and blues guitar tunes at times though...

HS

Thank you, mulveling.  I would be lying if I said I was anything but pleased as punch with my KGST.  It's a relatively small footprint for one of these beasts and the build quality is exceptional.  Many hours on it with nothing but a smile on my face.  I can get it plenty loud for me, although I'm not the head banger I once was.  Still like to crank the rock and blues guitar tunes at times though...

HS

Yup, I was eyeing his amp too but decided against it at the end.  Geoff's builds are pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

I haven't heard a KGST yet, but I do have one of Geoff's compact KGSShv's and love the sound and build quality. I run it with the 009s and will soon hear how it sounds on the 007As I just got from PJ.

Geoff's silver fronted KGST with a silver top plate looks really great IMO. I saw some Cambridge show pics.

I have assembled tubed DAC kits and 300B SET amplifiers but don't have the confidence to do a stat DIY.

Edited by astrostar59

So in goes replacement 2sc1167 for my 12S that I`ve been trying to fix. A new problem distortion kicks in as well as buzzing when I go mid way on the volume dial. Cleaned the pots, dc offset and balance adjusted as close possible to 0v, bias checked after the 4.7mohm is 134vdc and before the 4.7mohm is about 200vdc for normal bias. Haven`t touched anything else, any suggestions spritzer?

Also what is the pot for on the detachable psu card plugged into the main psu board? Any suggestions spritzer?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to find out if my 007MkI is the early or late version. Its S/N is 71194 but it has the faux carbon box. Is there any other differences? That Stax paper that comes with it says "Printed in Japan 98-10-1K MA", don't know if this helps anything. I have read that the arc and headband changed, but wasn't able to see any differences in the photos I found in internet.

Too many possibilities as to what is wrong.  

Where should I start first? Checked all ground points in and out of the amp to be fine (didn't really touch them). I have a feeling the pot is to blame. 

Yep turns it was the pot.

Measured the 4700pf 650v silver mica on the output board, one measures 550vdc, 100vdc. The second output board measures 140vdc, 400vdc. Transistors replaced. Resistors still within rated tolerance, 2sk30 fets borked?

Hmm

Edited by DefQon

Hi all, Its my first post here, so please be gentle. ::)

Coming from LCD's, my Stax setup is very disappointing with the lower bass.

I have the SRM-727II(stock) with SR-507, and for me, the sound is very disappointing. 

Apart from its very fast, detailed sound, the lower bass is very thin and lacking.

Is this the Stax house sound that takes time to get used to?

Sell those 507 and get a wonderful pair of 207. Then sell the 727 and get a 252. It will sound way better. More expensive doesn't mean better most of the times.

I would, but I already spent too much money on the 507. I would love to keep it If i can somehow manage to make it sound better

Or get a 717 and mod it to a lesser powered KGSS.

So the amp makes the difference? I wish I had known a head of time before buying the 727.

Would any mods save 727?

I would, but I already spent too much money on the 507. I would love to keep it If i can somehow manage to make it sound better

How is spending too much money contrary to selling it?  That makes no sense.  You want to put more money into it?  Makes even less sense.

Sell it.  Don't expect to get what you put into it, total, but get what you can and cut your losses

• Like 1

Not really the 507 is pretty bad by itself. A better amp will not automatically make it sound better.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I see, thanks! Going to save up for 007.

Stax are an acquired taste.

Perhaps, a Omega 2 Mk1, or a SR-009  is in your future......  

Or, even a new amp from here........     http://mjolnir-audio.com/

Ha, nice word play humor! I'm probably going to get a 2nd hand KGSS + 007

How is spending too much money contrary to selling it?  That makes no sense.  You want to put more money into it?  Makes even less sense.

Sell it.  Don't expect to get what you put into it, total, but get what you can and cut your losses

Sorry, I didn't clarify. Since I already spent $x on the headphones, selling it would mean I would lose some money(due to being used) vs buying the correct item at first.

Yes, great advice! Probably going to sell it, and never look back. I guess that is the nature of this hobby.