The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Are you talking about the feedback mod? That  is the only mod that I know that can be done to 727.

Do you mind giving me a source on that please? I need it to save my awful sounding 727 :-[

Feedback mod is easy and cheap. The other mod would probably cost a few hundred $ to get someone to do it for you.

Picked up a new 007A off PJ. Birgir doesn't lie, it's a good one. Next to the Mk1 it's kinda like a young whiskey next to an aged whiskey, not quite as refined or mild mannered but with more punch and bite. The highs seem more present, the mids are close to the Mk1 if not quite as lush, and the dynamics seem a bit improved if anything, though maybe it's the highs. I haven't done the bass port mod so I can't comment on the bass, save that in stock form it's a tad uneven but quite good already.

It's a keeper.

Maybe if I completely lose my mind I'll get a 009 and compare, but for now I'm talking myself out of it. Now I just need to fix up the Mk1.

The 007A is super enjoyable out of the KGST.  Listening to Earnest Ranglin - Surfin' off of Below the Bassline at the moment....tasty.  

Sadly I had a channel imbalance incident with the first 007A, but FromJapan made it right with some shoving.  

HS

I have spent a lot of time with a 400v KGST and the 007A.  Great combination.  I think 350v would be fine, but if it's being built than see if you can do the upgrade.

HS

there's one FS on HF at 350V that i was looking at...so wondering if that might be ok or if i should wait. still undecided...

there's one FS on HF at 350V that i was looking at...so wondering if that might be ok or if i should wait. still undecided...

That amp is very attractive in person.  I have another one just like it and it sounds very good.  I still prefer the full-size KGSSHV obviously.  The builder is S_r here on head-case.  He is quite an outstanding guy.  His built quality and attention to details are top notch!

That amp is very attractive in person.  I have another one just like it and it sounds very good.  I still prefer the full-size KGSSHV obviously.  The builder is S_r here on head-case.  He is quite an outstanding guy.  His built quality and attention to details are top notch!

If it's a nicely built one for a fair price, I believe it will do you a great job with the 007A's.

HS

thanks for the input, guys.

so, i'm not a huge fan of tubes in general b/c they require a bit more work...i'm lazy and i like SS b/c i can just turn it on/off on a whim. how careful does one need to be with the kgst...can i be as reckless as i am with my SS equipment? 

That's a tough one and I don't think I could honestly say yes.  What I can offer is mine dissipates heat very well and I have left in one for 12 hours at a time w/o issue.  I've never let it run much longer than that at one go, but after 12 hours I could comfortably lay my hand on top of the case.  I think heat management and tube longevity are the two variables in the equation.  Different executions of the same basic design so I'd start by asking about how hot it gets.

That's my simple two bits.  Best of luck with your search.

HS

thanks for the input, guys.

so, i'm not a huge fan of tubes in general b/c they require a bit more work...i'm lazy and i like SS b/c i can just turn it on/off on a whim. how careful does one need to be with the kgst...can i be as reckless as i am with my SS equipment? 

I have one of Tony's other KGST -- it runs quite cool and is about as trustworthy and robust as tube gear gets. But maybe don't turn it on/off 10 times a day because tubes -- but then if you're doing that I'd suggest you re-evaluate your life choices :)

• Like 2

Oddly, I find my KGST ready to play faster than my KGSSHV. The HV's transistors don't work very well with the heatsinks cold, and warming them up easily takes 20 minutes. The offset changes considerably during this period. The KGST is ready to go in a minute or so.

That said, I don't recommend forgetting to turn off any tube amplifier, or being careless with it in general. To be honest, my HV runs pretty warm, too (mini stereo board), so I try not to neglect that one, either.

Edited by gepardcv

Amps with tubes in them should never be left unattended.  The KGST shouldn't suffer any damage if something like the filament breaks or the tube just stops working but it could be worse than that.  T2/BHSE it could be very bad if the tubes were to fail. 

• Like 1