The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Did you add any new stuff to that mains wiring?  Computers, chargers, that type of thing?  They could be causing the hum. 

There's a new line interactive UPS for a PC that is sharing the same circuit. However, that video was made from a different room which may or may not be in the same circuit as the office. I'll try a mass unplugging of devices including the UPS.

Edit: No joy I'm afraid

Edited by dripf

I really don't see any other reason why the transformer would suddenly start to misbehave unless it is simply failing.  I take it is set to the correct voltage and not say a 100V unit plugged into 117V or something like that?  Polarity of the mains can also be a factor if the plug is reversible. 

I would like a Lambda that doesn't suck, mainly for more casual listening than the 007. The 007 is great but the finnicky fit and comfort aren't ideal. If I can get a Lambda that isn't brighter than a bus full of MIT students and still has that airy open thing going on that would be great. Also provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This is a ridiculous post i know. But after lots of electrostatic listenening I can't stand to hear normal speakers anymore. They're too boring and I need to take a break.

Somehow this doesn't happen with the SR-X MKIII. I just really enjoy listening to them. I put velour pads on my SR-X MKIII and I can happily listen to them all day long now.

I just wish I could find a way to make my speaker cables sit in the shitty SRD-7 wire terminal easier. A speaker wire falls out on occasion. I'm absolutely not going to be one of those people who chops off the cable receptacle...

Anyone who has a SRD-7/SB  they don't want should let me know, It would be nice to have one without a power cord :)

Hands down I'll take a SR-X MK III and SRD-7 over any other Stax I've heard to date...

Edit: Finally worked up the courage to wash off the headband with a damp cloth with shampoo and another damp cloth to wipe away leftover soap. Yeesh, glad I did. These headphones really showed their age on that paper towel :wacko:

Edited by 4tray

Given a choice between an original BH and KGST (400v if it makes much of a difference) is there any consensus on which would play best with the 007/009, SR-Ω & HE60?  Hard enough to find someone who has heard one of the dozen or so Headamp BH's out there, let alone a comparison with any of the subsequent KG amps. 

Edited by ericfarrell85