The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Pipe-dreaming is the closest I'll get to a T2 (that or if Andy decides he doesn't like his any more). BH and KGST/HV seem to be the only procurable options. 

A number of people are in the middle of a group buy and constructing the new KGSSHV Carbon. You might keep a look out for one of those that come up for sale. 

A number of people are in the middle of a group buy and constructing the new KGSSHV Carbon. You might keep a look out for one of those that come up for sale. 

(My very first post.)

This is interesting since I would love to experience the true potential of my newly acquired 009. Unfortunately these will probably be out of my reach for now as well.

I finally part of the club and found my way here (you guys are stuck with me now, lol). And thanks to some of you that personally congratulated me on my purchase, even though the amp I have started out with is only the 323S but I have been listening to these almost every day since receiving them and I am really enjoying them. I almost worked out a deal on a KGSSHV but it fell through at the very very end, which only makes settling for the 323S for the time being THAT much harder (even though I am still happy with it).

Every single picture of the Stax SRD-7 I can find online has the little bix you clip speaker wires into cut off.

I can't find a single picture of the connector box I am having issues with still attached to the device.

It seems everyone who owns one has cut it off?

I really don't want to because this is an unharmed, original Stax product.

But god damn that connector terminal is a pain in the ASS! even if i don't move it a wire falls out occasionally... i touch it to try and put it back in and the rest fall out! horrible!

It's this miserable bugger...

iRzgm1P.jpg

P.S. velour pads on Stax rule! :D

The SRD-7 never shipped with that crappy connector and velour pads on Stax are pretty high on the stupid scale.  Go read a bit about how an infinite baffle works on dipoles... 

Wow, I'm glad to hear that. I'm getting rid of this P.O.S. connector ASAP then.

I'm implying from what you're saying that the firmness of leather pads works as part of the enclosure? I do have Audiocubes pads  for the SR-X as well but they seemed to me just the same as the velour ones I sourced except obviously being flat and leather instead of cushy.

I will apply the official Audiocubes pads, do some A/B testing and take back my earlier claim .

Now, velour on something like 007/009/Lambda, that just sounds completely stupid. They aren't on-ear like the SR-X though.

The bass becomes almost non-existent if you go from vinyl to velour pads on the Stax.

Wow, ok, it's true.

I assumed because the SR-X had the thick aluminum base the pad sits on it wouldn't really make a difference what pad I used, but it certainly does. I heard Stax used to sell cloth pads so I thought it would be okay.

Yeah, the Stax thread over there is just an endless stream of bullshit.  Most of the advise given is inaccurate or just flat out false.  Stupidity is the new norm.... 

It seems always the norm at that forum, and that thread.

Still, it's good for a laugh and the bunfights can be entertaining.

SR-??? with the new "Lambda" driver, probably. 

Ali

I would buy a model using the Lambda driver with a new shell in a second. I got rid of my Lambda Spirits because the midrange strangeness and sibilance were too much for me. I'm too sensitive to high frequencies and it drove me crazy. More detailed than my SR-X MKIII though for sure. I miss them for that.

Going to get started on my KGSSHV  boards sometime when I can find the time...

Every single picture of the Stax SRD-7 I can find online has the little bix you clip speaker wires into cut off.

I can't find a single picture of the connector box I am having issues with still attached to the device.

It seems everyone who owns one has cut it off?

I really don't want to because this is an unharmed, original Stax product.

But god damn that connector terminal is a pain in the ASS! even if i don't move it a wire falls out occasionally... i touch it to try and put it back in and the rest fall out! horrible!

It's this miserable bugger...

iRzgm1P.jpg

P.S. velour pads on Stax rule! :D

Maybe remove the box and install these:

Energizer.JPG

i just got a kgst that geoff built for me...and i now realize that my 007A has a slight channel imbalance. vocals are focused at around 1:00 instead of 12:00. i heard this imbalance w/the previously damaged 717 i had, but wasn't sure if it was the headphones or the amp. as i bought the 007A second-hand, what are my options to get these repaired?  thanks...