The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Hey guys,

I remember reading a post by birgir a long time ago on how there were changes made to the 009's sometime in the last 2 years. Does anyone know which year is it or where that post is?

I've been looking for that post for ages, but cant seem to find it, as im wondering if mine is the old batch or new.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, JonChoivo said:

Hey guys,

I remember reading a post by birgir a long time ago on how there were changes made to the 009's sometime in the last 2 years. Does anyone know which year is it or where that post is?

I've been looking for that post for ages, but cant seem to find it, as im wondering if mine is the old batch or new.

Thanks.

Check page 384 or discussions in early March of 2015 of this thread about changes to the 007 which is basically what happened to the 009 as well. 

For me it boils down to the same evils that Quad was fighting back in the day, the 009 sounds like hifi while the 007/Omega sound like music.  With the 009 there is the "look at this HF, isn't it lovely!!  Look at it!!!  All that detail!!"  With the 007 and SR-Omega they have even more detail but never throw it in your face. 

A BHSE is north of 5K$.  My KGSSHV's are all around 3k$ but I will probably be throwing a moving sale soon for some of them.  Just to try and thin the heard a bit before I have to move the entire lab to the other peninsula here.  :) 

The KGSSHV Carbon is the latest development of these circuits and for Kevin and I it matches or even surpasses the BH.  We have a tube version too but I prefer to build solid state amps. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EdipisReks said:

I can build a CMOY, but I can't build that

There's certainly more to a KGSSHV than to the cmoy, but as long as you can make clean solder joints, clean flux off finished boards, take basic precautions for working with high voltage, and understand the wiring (which people here on HC are really helpful with), you can build it.

If you like tubes, the KGST is a bit simpler to make, and I think sounds quite nice. Electronic parts are inexpensive, it's the casework that kills you (but I like mine really nice).

Of course you have to discount labor costs to 0, but DIY is fun. :)

Spritzer, there's 007 mk2.5 outthere people say. so I have another question: you often mention 007 mk2.9, is it a mod based on mk2.5 or mk2?

unfortunately I have another querstion: what's the famous ports plugged? I ain't google nothing.

3 hours ago, mtoc said:

Spritzer, there's 007 mk2.5 outthere people say. so I have another question: you often mention 007 mk2.9, is it a mod based on mk2.5 or mk2?

unfortunately I have another querstion: what's the famous ports plugged? I ain't google nothing.

http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/3722-stax-sr-007mk2sr-007a-port-mod/ (Googled: Stax 007 port mod)

7 hours ago, sorenb said:

I'm really sorry, that thread was posted at Posted 11 Jun 2008, and I read it before I posted, now is 20xx, time flowed and many things changed, actually now we have to make clear the first question firstly: 007 mk2.9 is the cruciality of the question, cos 007 mk2.9 is our Mr. spritzer's favorite HPs on Earth. So, how to get a 007 ver.Right to mod it into a mk2.9 is the question of this silly questional question.

From that Spritzer told about the mod,to compensate the overblown bass, I thought the opposite.  I will try the mod later but I am curious. Now I am listening to my new ( almost sure it is really new :) ) 007, I need a few weeks usually to decide I like the new toy or not.

Edited by judo

5 hours ago, mtoc said:

I'm really sorry, that thread was posted at Posted 11 Jun 2008, and I read it before I posted, now is 20xx, time flowed and many things changed, actually now we have to make clear the first question firstly: 007 mk2.9 is the cruciality of the question, cos 007 mk2.9 is our Mr. spritzer's favorite HPs on Earth. So, how to get a 007 ver.Right to mod it into a mk2.9 is the question of this silly questional question.

You should read a few pages back in the thread you find answers if you were really interested.