The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Is there anyone who opened recent STAX amps (727A, 323S, 353X.. etc) and tried to change its voltage?

I heard that some 727A amp do not support voltage change. (You need to get a transformer)

Is there anyone who know if STAX started to prevent individual customers from changing their amp's voltage?

How about SRM-353X? I'm now currently in consideration to move from 727A to 353X, and I don't want to use transformer. (220V to 100V)

1 hour ago, spritzer said:

I've heard that they use 100V only transformers on the Japanese gear but haven't verified it.  On the cheaper amps it was usually just a matter of missing leads but on the 007/727 they cut the actual winding's. 

Yes! That's what I heard about voltage change of 727A.

Then as 353X is cheaper than 727A, is it possible that they use voltage-changeable transformers?

On 07/02/2016 at 7:22 AM, spritzer said:

That will be fun to watch.  :)  I'll tackle Accuphase in the near future as I want one of their Class A  integrateds but I believe that they are multi winding as a standard.  

Some of the Accuphases (depending on region purchased and the preamp and amp I had) have multi windings but no wires are soldered to the taps. Something akin to the older Stax Bando transformers.

Yep, for the models I had the transformers were mounted in a fashion where the windings was not very accessible (unlike Stax amps they are on the top) and there is a white plastic clip in compartment box where the windings are soldered to the taps secured to the trafo then a wire comes out to the mains. The Japanese companies really like to stop grey imports and people taking advantage of buying cheap from Japan then changing the primary to suit their country, obviously most cases there is a work around.

I will post some pictures when I get back. I wanted to get some extra current capability though for a new output stage, so all is well. Also, the next model up markets a toroid as an "upgrade". It's the K-07x which I can tell you is a completely different beast from the K-07. Once I drop in the new transformer, then I will plan where and how to integrate the output stage in, which should be fun.

The new APL in the making here :)

Hello another question here about STAX headband.

I wonder which tool should be used to remove small pins that hold 'case holder' to arc assembly.

I know that I should push it to other side, replace case holder and replace those pins... but I think that these pins don't want to get away from their place.

Is there specific tool size that can remove these small pins?

DgITOX6.jpg

After using my srm717 for years, on a hot humid (35* 90+% humidity) day when powering down I noticed arcing and minor smoke from near Q34. After powering down for several days I tested it again, the amp seems to be working correctly but powering on or off will reproduce the arcing. A close inspection noticed the fault between the two traces (see the attached picture). 

I've been told told to clean between the traces with a scalpel / hobby knife, clean the board with cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and then resurface with circuit board lacquer. What I am unsure of is if this is likely to be a freak occurrence or if I have some kind of underlying issue with the amp.

I've been dumbing down my Stax rig and this week I received a pair of "very nice" conditioned Lambda Nova Sigs with 507 pads.  Unfortunately they arrived somewhat damaged and their age is not helping.  Tried calling Yamas/Accutech but no answer.

The case holder for one side came broken in transit; luckily the seller is offering to pay to replace this (https://www.staxusa.com/stax-case-holder.html).  Is there a certain tool and size of tool I need to be able to remove the securing pin?  Tugging by hand has been fruitless though I don't want to break it.

The outer facing foam WAS intact prior to the shipping; seems the same side's driver has come unglued from the frame, this agitated the foam and it's now flaking everywhere.  I believe standard op. procedure is to remove the foam and call it a day but I will also need to secure the driver back to the frame.  Is there a certain glue or adhesive I should be using here?

Kinda bummed to get them like this but since the LNS is unobtanium now I want to make sure I can put it back together proper, thanks!

Edited by Mr.Sneis