The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Sorry to break the subject a little but what Lambda models to go for if one wants a smooth sound? The Lambda Signature, Lambda Pro and 4/507 are too bright to my ears. I do recall the Nova Signature (Or was it classic? They all look the same) as sounding quite nice. 

Opinions? Spritzer? :)

I agree, the Lambda Nova Signature, SR-Lambda normal bias, and 404LE are my favorite 3 Lambda models for balance and smoothness, without losing any speed or attack, and while avoiding the "etch" many other Lambdas are so famous for.  The LNS were similar enough to my 404 LE that I sold the 404 LE, since I was able to get more cash for them at the time.  But I would have been happy with keeping either.  They all sound well above their pay grade, and easily compete with $1000 planar magnetic headphones, although I do find the bass slightly less controlled than perfect (vs the 007 or 009).

On 18 februari 2016 at 4:43 AM, DefQon said:

Lambda Pro is dark sounding as shit due to a slight recessed treble how do you perceive it as bright?

The 404 LE is pretty smooth.

Weird. Definitely find the Lambda Pro to be a bright headphone. Not as bright as the Signature though. Can't stand that crap :lol:

What about the 202 and 207s?

On 18 februari 2016 at 4:43 AM, DefQon said: Lambda Pro is dark sounding as shit due to a slight recessed treble how do you perceive it as bright?

The 404 LE is pretty smooth.

Weird. Definitely find the Lambda Pro to be a bright headphone. Not as bright as the Signature though. Can't stand that crap :lol:

What about the 202 and 207s?

202 and 207 are leaner and brighter but have good clarity. You might be finding the LP bright due to an upper mid etch.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

brought a second handed 007A SZ2-21XX. When compare in the shop with SZ2-20XX, I found the latter has forward midrange and boomy bass while former has tighter bass. Despite tighter bass it was still A LOT. I bet the 21XX one was so called MK2.9. So I brought it home. It was quiet a bargain for a 007A sell less than $1000, though former owner was a heavy smoker. I hate that fxxking smell.:palm:

For the first week I was trying not to mod it, thinking if I had to sell it again, better to left it stock, and found the total performance was even worse than 407. The boomy upper bass ate all the detail and made the phone intolerable. Than I thought why not give it one more chance?

After the port mod, the phone grown into a lovely beastie. Driven by KGST the phone really shines and became a all rounder. Sorry for my English, I coudn't describe the sound in detail.

Thanks spritzer. All hail the Stax fart!!

Edited by joehpj

Always interesting to see how different folks hear things (read: prefer / dislike) so differently.  I'm no spring chicken and I've found that I don't do well with "bright", especially as my hearing deteriorates with age.  I very much enjoy the new 007A fed by the Ygg and powered by the KGST (although I'm dicking around with pots/attenuators at the moment).  I want a Lambda, but I'm hesitant for fear of it being too bright to my hearing.  No point having yet another headphone just sit there.  For example, I enjoyed by HD650's when I used them more...they've been set aside by my 007A's and the TH900's (the Fostex at times/on a few songs can be a bit peaky on the treble for me but I simply turn down the volume...they're way too fun to part with when powered and fed well).

To each his own...

HS

• Like 1

I've been working on a Lambda Nova Basic that seldom shows noise on left driver.

I managed to open left driver and get rid of the noise, but I lost anti-dust (or moisture) material that covers electrodes and diaphragm.

Is there anyone who changed this super-thin material to other material?

Or is there any idea about its thickness or what is it made from?

On 25/2/2016 at 1:38 PM, mwl168 said:

Just received a pair of SR-009 tonight. Serial No. SZ9-34xx. Running it through my HV Carbon.

This thing sounds different than my 007 MK 2.9.

Not surprising. Totally different animals......:o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spritzer said:

No need to recoat the diaphragms.  Either they will bounce back on their own or try to hit the offending side with a bit of force.  That might fix it. 

so birgir, the recoating will not work at all? i've had them for 7 months and nothing has changed...any chance they will fix themselves in the 8th month...or the 12th month? i'll give it a go with the whack attack as well...thanks.