The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I don't mean to make this post as a slam on the 007a but once upon a time I heard a brand new pair pretty much straight out of the box and it was one of the worst Stax experiences that I have ever had, terrible fitment (I suspect this was the major problem?) and something about the bass was a mess.  That said, I would totally give them another try if I could but at the same time I have had maybe 3 pairs of o2mk1 in my life and never an issue.

Hi Boss,

Do you mean the latest one is better than the "early" mk II?

The one I listened recently is most probably the latest revision which I find not bad at all. My eyes opened after I switched from 009/L700 to 007 mkii thought it will be the worst according to many forumers but in fact it has totally different sounding which leads to another great experience.

Sometimes I wonder why 009 alone not 007+L700 together for best of both worlds and still have some pocket changes for something else haha. 

On 18 Apr 2016 at 4:40 AM, microCuts said:

Hi Spritzer,

May I know what is the potential issue that I may face from a SZ1?

This is the Serial number that seller offering me. SZ1-1089. Not sure if you guys has any idea on this batch. Thanks.

I had actually auditioned SR009, SR007 mkII, and SRL700 from a SRM007tii.

L700 is a baby version of SR009 but the bass is abit soft and lack of extension that I always enjoy of. SR009 is perfect for me but its so pricey that holding me back. SR007 mkII is warm and thicked sound which is quite enjoyable in certain gerne especially vocal.  

I owned a SRM007tii too due to great used price but do not have a stax headphone with me now. I know its a mediorce amp but I can mod it to use 6A4S tubes. I have two matched pairs 6A4S I planned to mod in future.

SR007 mk1 is the only one I have not listened to before therefore buying a used pair is almost like betting blindly. Need some advice from experts here.

40% Rocks (Post Rock / Alternative Rock)
30% Vocals (Pop / Acoustic)
15% Jazz
15% Electronica + some weird stuff.

Get the current production 007A, it is the best 007 I have heard, really close to the MK1. The MK1 is now too old IMO to make a sensible purchase as a main phone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spritzer said:

You can't do any comparisons on the 007t, it's just crap....utter crap.  Anything with a flat response will sound bad on it and anything with hyped treble will sound ok. 

But everyone at HF thinks it's SUCH a great amp, 009 + 007t ooh lala. (tons of sarcasm implied!!!)   ;)

Edited by Mr.Sneis

Well that's because HF hasn't had any serious Stax discussion for years.  I actually checked out the Stax thread over there this morning (replying to PM's is the only reason to go there) and seeing the discussion about diaphragm thickness just cracked me up.  All of that info is in the old threads or stuck in the heads of us the old timers.  As one of the mafia members said, "we've forgotten more about Stax than those fools will ever know".  He isn't far off.. 

• Like 5

That's exactly it, they are too flat and the foam won't last. 

The ep007 opening is smaller and I think that contributes to a bit of boominess in the bass, which is why I end up sticking with the 009 pads. Much more even presentation. Too bad those things cost an arm and a leg...

Maybe I'll try the sr omega pads on the 007 one of these days

Speaking of the elastic giving out in the old Mk I headbands, I have to shorten the elastic in mine about once every two months to get it back to spec. But then I use them practically every day and they rest on a stand when they're not being used with a dust cover on top of that weighing them down. Is that pretty similar to the rest of you guys? One of the reasons I haven't bought a new headband is that I'll be ticked if I have to do the same adjustment no matter what.

The elastic is much stronger in the new units so this is no longer an issue. 

8 hours ago, nopants said:

The ep007 opening is smaller and I think that contributes to a bit of boominess in the bass, which is why I end up sticking with the 009 pads. Much more even presentation. Too bad those things cost an arm and a leg...

Maybe I'll try the sr omega pads on the 007 one of these days

Bass bloom is much more a factor of the earpad height than anything else.  Also the smaller hole on the 007 pads will lead to less issues as a larger opening is always a terrible idea. 

15 hours ago, spritzer said:

Well that's because HF hasn't had any serious Stax discussion for years.  I actually checked out the Stax thread over there this morning (replying to PM's is the only reason to go there) and seeing the discussion about diaphragm thickness just cracked me up.  All of that info is in the old threads or stuck in the heads of us the old timers.  As one of the mafia members said, "we've forgotten more about Stax than those fools will ever know".  He isn't far off.. 

I've been banned from HF's Stax thread for making fun of edstrelow's and richard51's dynamat modding exploits. The thread has been cleaned up more than somewhat.

Imagine using dynamat resulting in changing the performance of a solid state amp enough for chalk and cheese difference, and you get the idea of what was being posted.

Well the whole sorbothane and dynamat stuff is simply retarded.  Same as the headband resonance where I saw it investigated once by Hifi News.  The "test" was so horribly flawed that it wasn't even funny and clear that the tester simply got the results he wanted. 

Indeed, PM me for the delivery address... 

In other news, never buy a 4070 that has had the earpads replaced...  :angry:  Do it wrong and they sound incredibly bad, next to no bass and just treble.  Now I have to buy some new pads and try to get them retuned. 

I did get a nice package yesterday, the aforementioned 4070, Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature, Nova Signature, 404 (in rough shape though so full resto on them), SR-SC1, 404LE and a mint Alpha Pro which will not be killed. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, spritzer said:

In other news, never buy a 4070 that has had the earpads replaced...  :angry:  Do it wrong and they sound incredibly bad, next to no bass and just treble.  Now I have to buy some new pads and try to get them retuned. 

I did get a nice package yesterday, the aforementioned 4070, Lambda Pro, Lambda Signature, Nova Signature, 404 (in rough shape though so full resto on them), SR-SC1, 404LE and a mint Alpha Pro which will not be killed. 

now thats a fun care package.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:36 AM, wink said:

I've been banned from HF's Stax thread for making fun of edstrelow's and richard51's dynamat modding exploits. ...

Hey, me too, but for unrelated pricejapan stupidity. Though flappy bird said he would let me post again if i gave him a good teabagging - didn't think it was worth it.

5 hours ago, spritzer said:

There is just something about the Alpha Pro which is really excellent. That is the only headphone I can think of that I'd care to buy these days, and I don't listen to headphones really. 

What gets messed up on the SR4070?