The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

It's possible that the guy is using them to close a real legitimate sale to a third party, so he gets rid of the system. If that set had the same serial number, it'd be a way to find the real identity of this crook. Since the serial number is very important for some fans, asking about it to the shop it wouldn't be weird at all ;)

On 28 Jun 2016 at 8:20 PM, Amar said:

It's no wonder he's not accepting paypal, and it's indeed very much relating to being scammed-  This is the same scumbag who ripped me off 5 years ago thru Audiogon. The same set, I can confirm by the SN# on the SRE-750 box from a pic he sent me then:

Ehm, I'm not saying it's not the same guy but that isn't a serial number but just a GTIN/EAN-code :mellow:. The 499 prefix indicates it's an item that's made in Japan.

Could well be the same and all that, but this unfortunately doesn't prove it.

//UFN

Edited by UFN

23 hours ago, UFN said:

Ehm, I'm not saying it's not the same guy but that isn't a serial number but just a GTIN/EAN-code :mellow:. The 499 prefix indicates it's an item that's made in Japan.

Could well be the same and all that, but this unfortunately doesn't prove it.

//UFN

Thanks for the correction, That motivated me to dig further into my correspondence with Robert-whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is and I dunno how I missed it but thanks to the almighty Outlook servers :

stax_scam_new_listing5.png

stax_scam6.jpg

So it's the same number, correct me if I'm wrong: 71788

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:04 PM, Torpedo said:

It's possible that the guy is using them to close a real legitimate sale to a third party, so he gets rid of the system. If that set had the same serial number, it'd be a way to find the real identity of this crook. Since the serial number is very important for some fans, asking about it to the shop it wouldn't be weird at all ;)

Problem is, as I noted before, I contacted the store that he gave me then, and they'd confirmed his full name as the owner. And given that this name is diefferent from the gas bill your friend got, then all bets are off. He prolly has few more fake ID's lying around.

Good luck on nailing the bad guy. I hope he remains unalerted before he gets his doorknock.

The headband on my 307 just snapped. I was taking them off and felt them go limp. They were never subject to any force.

Is staxusa the best place to get a replacement to Australia?

20160702_140124.jpg

The weak pound certainly doesn't have any effect against our weak AUD.

You can try electromods or get in contact with Nigel from Audio Marketing, Australia's official Stax distributor who does repairs, services for Stax products, I have purchased individual Stax parts through them before and it works out a better deal than going with overseas suppliers:

http://www.audiomarketing.com.au/

You can also get in contact with George from Addicted to Audio and see if he can sort you out with the headband piece as well but he may not be able to.

We had a meet yesterday here in Houston.  Great time and I got to listen to some fun setups.

MrSpeakers had sent their Ether E prototypes so I brought my KGSSHV Carbon along as I'd read they require mo' power.  My chain was 44/16 FLAC files via DEEZER Elite or via iTunes on my MacAir using BitPerfect > Ygg DAC > Carbon.  

Those that posted that the Ether's are power hungry were not kidding.  The Carbon is a beast (thanks George) and uses the GR HV psu with 680uf 500v rated caps and a DACT stepper...it's a GREAT amp and absolutely makes my 007A's sing (thank you for awesome designs Kevin).  Anyhow, I had to turn the knob to say 2 o'clock to get the Ether's to really make music and, as a reference, the 007A's were screaming loud at that point.  The L300's there and a nice pair of 404 Signatures were really screaming at that volume level.

The prototypes clearly need more work, which I figure is to be expected.  If you're sitting next to someone using them, it's like you've got an old school radio playing...they bleed that much sound.  Also, the micro details and that holographic instrument separation and placement are not there compared to the Stax.  I expected them to hit harder down low given what a gent had told me, but with the Carbon the 007A's bass was deeper, more present and impactful IMO.  The Ether's are more treble and upper mid's forward.  A bit sparkly for me, but not terrible.  I like the 007A's because they are what they are and I don't do peaky upper's too well anymore...getting old.

Overall, fun to listen to as I like getting to play with prototype stuff, but a long way from competing with mid to upper tier Stax equipment.  They are going to need one hell of an amp unless they make them more efficient.

On a side note, I got to listen to some Canned Heat out of a Stax 006t with NOS tubes powering a pair of 404 Signatures and was pretty darn impressed with that rig.  Great value for $ IMO.  The L300's were fun, but a bit to bright for me and definitely light on the lower mids and bass front.

HS

IMG_7566.JPG

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, johnwmclean said:

Carbon in a DIY T2 looking chassis - really nice.

Thanks, John.  George put a lot of love into the amp and I'm grateful.  It's built solid as a brick.  Uses that nice DACT stepper you kindly parted with...works great.

HS