The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

16 hours ago, nopants said:

I still appreciate that he came out to say something, even if it didn't amount to much. Certainly a lot more level-headed than when cavalli stopped by to grace everyone with his presence. Maybe I've also been desensitized but I didn't even think people were being too "flame"-y about things either haha

Also Lampizator is some sort of sick joke, all it takes is a quick peek under the hood. But it's magic, has to sound good right? To this day I wonder what the wood is for

lampi_internal_view.jpg

This isn't April 1st, right? Holy carp, the things I built when I was 16 were orders of magnitude neater than that. What a disgraceful pig's breakfast.

^ That really puts to the sword to the notion that the whole is more than the sum of it's parts.

Like Frankenstein's monster, it should have been left segregated in the spare parts bin......   :blink:

20 hours ago, nopants said:

(snip)To this day I wonder what the wood is for

(snip)

That is most assuredly in honor of the panel of so-called high fidelity experts who voted the DAC the best that money could buy.

Wood you believe it...?

How about the fact that it gives the DAC it's organic sound...?

What about as a sacrifcial anode to keep termites from attacking the rest of the DAC...?

OK, it's the secret ingredient that makes the DAC so treemendous....!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sechtdamon said:

I'm also an active member of a Turkish Forum; Techno-fi.

Alright, I'll check that out.  I'll count it towards my language practice time :)

5 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

What a disgraceful pig's breakfast.

Is that better or worse than a dog's dinner?  I need a hierarchy of British animal meals.

1 hour ago, Sherwood said:

Alright, I'll check that out.  I'll count it towards my language practice time :)

Is that better or worse than a dog's dinner?  I need a hierarchy of British animal meals.

You are most welcome sir. :) I use same nickname.

Also soon I'm moving to İstanbul for work. I'm working for a distributor of well known headphone manufacturer. If you want to visit, you are most welcome at there too. We have pretty interesting place for demoing.

1 hour ago, Sechtdamon said:

You are most welcome sir. :) I use same nickname.

Also soon I'm moving to İstanbul for work. I'm working for a distributor of well known headphone manufacturer. If you want to visit, you are most welcome at there too. We have pretty interesting place for demoing.

I'd love to come by.  Send me a message with the address, and I'll be happy to come over.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bjorn said:

What's funny is that Astrofuck PM:d me recently bragging about his expensive shit and mentioned this ^ somewhere also. 

If you recall correctly I was telling you that a Tubed DAC does not necessarily mean treble loss or a tone control fix for the 009 as you were claiming it was.

As you may know the Meridian Director DAC is recognised as a 'bright DAC' and in combo with your 717 amp which I used to own, will give a tipped up treble balance. Possibly why you prefer the 007s?

I started using mine regularly again too, but I there's something amiss with the treble (glare?) that makes it fatiguing to listen for more than an hour or two, also with a T2. I've been pretty curious how they'd sound with some of the newer amplifiers, and now kevin dropped the CFA design in our lap...in any event I guess it's nice that a few meatheads drive up the price.

Also I was a bit unfair with the Lampizator picture so I dug up some recent ones, from here. Still kind of shoddy for something that starts at 10.5k, I think I'm mostly just butthurt that this company has developed a following at all.DcrEqC.jpg

h0PpDB.jpg

1 hour ago, astrostar59 said:

If you recall correctly I was telling you that a Tubed DAC does not necessarily mean treble loss or a tone control fix for the 009 as you were claiming it was.

As you may know the Meridian Director DAC is recognised as a 'bright DAC' and in combo with your 717 amp which I used to own, will give a tipped up treble balance. Possibly why you prefer the 007s?

HEY GUYS LOOK. Genius up here ^ just sent me this: 

Skärmavbild 2016-11-28 kl. 18.38.58.png

Not only does this fucktard have zero clue what he's talking about, he's *actually* referring to the similarly daft jokers at whathifi to make a point. Gosh, and here I was thinking a human being couldn't get any more stupid...

EDIT: Also, mod please feel free to delete some of these comments. This fine thread deserves better. Just had to share that one. 

Edited by Bjorn

On 11/27/2016 at 8:42 AM, spritzer said:

As for the MSB dac...well that is my dac in the pictures and I can safely say that everything he stated is utter bullshit.  This unit was bought directly from a dealer and the only upgrade done to it was replacing the USB input as there was something wrong with the original one.  The rest of it left the factory like that. 

Let's assume for a second @DJS really did design all that hardware, and is not just trolling here. (Given the personal attacks he posted, I'm not convinced — what company allows its staff to behave like this in public, while representing that company? No comms department would allow someone like this off its apron strings.)

The stat amp features a questionable design and shoddy assembly. The DAC shares the same build quality. What about the DAC's design? And does it actually work well?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Not only does this fucktard have zero clue what he's talking about, he's *actually* referring to the similarly daft jokers at whathifi to make a point. Gosh, and here I was thinking a human being couldn't get any more stupid...

EDIT: Also, mod please feel free to delete some of these comments. This fine thread deserves better. Just had to share that one. 

I really do not know what you people think about sharing private messages to public, but, no matter what, It is wrong for me. Even if it's about someone does not makes any sense. And tbh I and most probably anyone else don't need some proof for his ignorance and arrogance.

Edited by Sechtdamon
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

Let's assume for a second @DJS really did design all that hardware, and is not just trolling here. (Given the personal attacks he posted, I'm not convinced — what company allows its staff to behave like this in public, while representing that company? No comms department would allow someone like this off its apron strings.)

The stat amp features a questionable design and shoddy assembly. The DAC shares the same build quality. What about the DAC's design? And does it actually work well?

The DAC isn't bad but I've modified it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

djs name all over every board in the dac except for one. take a look. So he has been there since at least 2003 and probably a lot longer.

only one other name on one of the boards JLG.

fact is that the holo spring dac probably trounces every single msb product made and only costs $1500 to $2200 and is far better built. The power supply on birgir's dac is a massive hunk of crap.

Edited by kevin gilmore

So I got an SRM-T1W for a deal I couldn't refuse. I thought it would be fun side project to fix up since I've never heard a T1 before. I've never really dealt with STAX tube amps before so I had two questions. First is that this likely still has the original tubes, so is there any easy way without a tube tester to tell if they need replacing? Secondly, I was hoping for a solid state equivalent circuit for the 6CG7 that I could build to try out.

Otherwise, just going to be doing the usual cleaning, adjusting, replacing electrolytic caps etc.

4 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Dude, I haven't sunken to your level of retarded language and generally neanderthal behaviour. I said I wouldn't join the bully club. I have no fucking interest in it. I saw it at school, in night clubs with piss heads, I avoid violence and walk away from moronic behaviour. You obviously can't take any examination in your direction. If you remember you slung a public post at me saying the 'fucktard uses tubes to make his 009s sound good' No reason for that attack (with no logic). 

I PM'd you politely explaining to you that tubes in a decently designed DAC are not designed in as tone controls (as you are trying to say as a fact). Lets see, why do some top DACs use tubes? How many top pre-amplifiers also use tubes as regulated power supply and / or gain stage. I wonder why the T2 and the BHSE uses tubes in the gain stages or part of the gain stage? Are these designs garbage in your eyes?

Clearly when I explained this to you in a shorter and more polite manner, you couldn't take it. So you blow off on one. I obviously had to respond. I sent you that review of your DAC, hoping you may see a bright sounding DAC would naturally make the 009s sound bright to you. The 007s are more forgiving IMO, better for your system I would suggest.

You didn't like this. So here we are, you swearing in front of your mates for support. Lets kick the fuckers head in guys. Fucking wanker, fucking fascist cunt. Yeah kill him.

This forum has some interesting things on it, but I don't join in the bully swearing club and daily character assassinations that seem to surround the positives. It seems to have got worse over the last 12 months. There are too many on here that ruin what could be a great forum of positives about this hobby. Yeah, I get the welcome intro, yes, be passionate, but cyber bullying and ridiculous language over a sound system. It isn't about religion or ISIS, it is about this amp or headphone sounds good, this amp works like that. Sharing DIY skills. Jeeze, WTF? How many times have I seen the word 'retard' on here. I may inform you I have a cousin who had brain damage in a car accident, and he got called a retard at college. I hate that, just like I hate any kind of hate. I won't hate you, I leave and pretend you don't exist, then the loop of hate ends. 

There, I am done. I put the photo in for some humour as someone said no humour. But I am not feeling funny. To those (many) who post great information on here (you know who you are) chill, I am not talking to you. I am talking to the idiots who troll, attack, cyber bully and swear, generally exhibit irrational and aggressive behaviour and go off topic so much to swear and basically assassinate anyone they see as not in 'the club'. so act like a neanderthal. Since when is that a good behaviour in an audio forum for enthusiasts? And when was it a great thing to be 'proud" of. The opportunity to display aggression and bad language remotely is in my mind cyber bullying. It is something to remove from the modern world, not encourage. 

neanderthal.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

This isn't April 1st, right? Holy carp, the things I built when I was 16 were orders of magnitude neater than that. What a disgraceful pig's breakfast.

So, they now have almost everything on circuit boards rather than hard-wired.  Here are some pics from a 6 Moons review and their website of their Golden Gate DAC, a mere 13,000 Euros - note how well the caps fit the PCB.  Or not.

Lampizator 1.jpg

Lampizator 2.jpg

Lampizator 3.jpg

2 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

Dude, I haven't sunken to your level of retarded language and generally neanderthal behaviour. I said I wouldn't join the bully club. I have no fucking interest in it. I saw it at school, in night clubs with piss heads, I avoid violence and walk away from moronic behaviour. You obviously can't take any examination in your direction. If you remember you slung a public post at me saying the 'fucktard uses tubes to make his 009s sound good' No reason for that attack (with no logic). 

I PM'd you politely explaining to you that tubes in a decently designed DAC are not designed in as tone controls (as you are trying to say as a fact). Lets see, why do some top DACs use tubes? How many top pre-amplifiers also use tubes as regulated power supply and / or gain stage. I wonder why the T2 and the BHSE uses tubes in the gain stages or part of the gain stage? Are these designs garbage in your eyes?

Clearly when I explained this to you in a shorter and more polite manner, you couldn't take it. So you blow off on one. I obviously had to respond. I sent you that review of your DAC, hoping you may see a bright sounding DAC would naturally make the 009s sound bright to you. The 007s are more forgiving IMO, better for your system I would suggest.

You didn't like this. So here we are, you swearing in front of your mates for support. Lets kick the fuckers head in guys. Fucking wanker, fucking fascist cunt. Yeah kill him.

This forum has some interesting things on it, but I don't join in the bully swearing club and daily character assassinations that seem to surround the positives. It seems to have got worse over the last 12 months. There are too many on here that ruin what could be a great forum of positives about this hobby. Yeah, I get the welcome intro, yes, be passionate, but cyber bullying and ridiculous language over a sound system. It isn't about religion or ISIS, it is about this amp or headphone sounds good, this amp works like that. Sharing DIY skills. Jeeze, WTF? How many times have I seen the word 'retard' on here. I may inform you I have a cousin who had brain damage in a car accident, and he got called a retard at college. I hate that, just like I hate any kind of hate. I won't hate you, I leave and pretend you don't exist, then the loop of hate ends. 

There, I am done. I put the photo in for some humour as someone said no humour. But I am not feeling funny. To those (many) who post great information on here (you know who you are) chill, I am not talking to you. I am talking to the idiots who troll, attack, cyber bully and swear, generally exhibit irrational and aggressive behaviour and go off topic so much to swear and basically assassinate anyone they see as not in 'the club'. so act like a neanderthal. Since when is that a good behaviour in an audio forum for enthusiasts? And when was it a great thing to be 'proud" of. The opportunity to display aggression and bad language remotely is in my mind cyber bullying. It is something to remove from the modern world, not encourage. 

Really, all you got out of all of that was the tone, and not the content?  Learn to read, man.  There have been some plenty legitimate criticisms of your posts amongst as many which, admittedly, said nothing.  You need to be able to read past the language and see if there are any legitimate criticisms that pertain to you.  Do you not understand the dynamic?  There's only one of you, there's more than one of the rest of us.  All of us -- all of us that post, that is -- have this disease that says, "I think I can explain it better to this guy than anyone else on here", so you're always -- always -- going to get multiple posts to every one of yours.

I'm not going to deny that it can be deemed cyber-bullying, but this isn't high school, you aren't required to attend.  If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

And to the rest of you complaining about the state of this thread -- fuck you.  Quit contributing to this shitstain in an otherwise great thread -- quit being part of the problem.

• Like 7

In other words, apply some astrolube to your butthurt and either move on to a more civilized forum (in your opinion) or deal with the tone and content of this place. We are very clear that we are here for ourselves and not to pander to every audiofool on the Web.  

EDIT:  I realized after the fact that I inadvertently proved Dusty's point about multiple responses...ha.

Back on topic, I'm sitting here enjoy the fuck out of my SR-OMEGA out of my DIY T2 fed by a DAC with no toobs in it.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 9