The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

57 minutes ago, spritzer said:

While on the subject of crappy dac's... I was sent some internal pics of the R2R Lampazitor dac today (Golden Gate I believe but who gives a fuck).  Well let's put it this way, Single Power was better built than this pile of fail but what makes this utterly glorious is the actual dac...  So this is a multi thousand $ dac and what does the actual conversion... a Soekris DAM1021 diy module.  Yup... output directly off the end of that, fed into a relay volume control (again a DIY off the shelf module) and into what ever the fuck those tubes do.  I'm waiting for permission to post the pics but this is utterly retarded... 

What about a discrete DAC?  Does anyone make one of those?  And would it even sound good?

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

What about a discrete DAC?  Does anyone make one of those?  And would it even sound good?

http://soekris.com/products/audio-products/dam1021.html (module)

This is the module. But I do not know how it sounds. (sorry, if I misunderstood, I'll find the manufacturer and add here asap)

Found the manufacturer:

http://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/a5952b51-0edc-b170-4f94-648d4a9dec86 (Dac based on soekris)

Edited by Sechtdamon

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

I'm waiting for permission to post the pics but this is utterly retarded... 

Don't have to wait.  See my post from last Monday for some published internal pics of the Golden Gate taken from the 6 Moons review website and from Lampizator's own website.  I especially love the way they bypassed the big capacitor with a smaller capacitor - is that electrical tape they are using, or duct tape?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by JimL
Sorry for the duplication.

300 $ is just for the d/a pcb Birgir. The cheapest commmercial I've seen is the one I shared. I've seen shitty diy dacs based on it for 600-1000 dollars. 

Well It's same story I guess... Rising of Multibit, and people hyping it cuz it is discreet. But tbh I want to listen to it.

I've seen something weird pricing on ebay and amazon... 2170 system for 1,5k? Wtf? Srm-252s still on sale for 350$, so 207 worths 1200$ now?

2 hours ago, nopants said:

Innards aside I like those copper coppers for the lampizator golden gate, I'm wondering where I can get a set of those done for my T2. What kind of finish is that? 

Pretty sure it's just "golden" anodized aluminum or maybe copper washed? My sinks I'm using for my carbon circlotron build have the same finish, but it's just regular old aluminum underneath.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spork said:

Maybe the wood improves the timbre of the sound...

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think we should leaf this alone as it is a case of barking up the wrong tree, as the root of the problem is to be found in another branch of the hyperbole surrounding this general topic.

if you are inclined to bore into it, you will get to the heart of the matter in which many pithy statements are to be unearthed, and other facts that may stump you.

• Like 6

I just attached these as the world has to see this garbage.  The list price is 19000$ plus the dac's which are 2000$.  Yup...2k$ for two ~200$ modules.  File_001 (2).jpegFile_005.jpeg

A few highlights for me are the mains transformer glued upside down into the wood with exposed mains wiring.  Other parts glued into the bottom plate and almost no connectors used anywhere.  I really think that is the best sign of a hack, shit is just tacked together with no care and they hope for the best. 

I think we have a new Single Power on our hands or Mikhail moved to Poland. 

• Like 9

But, but,  this is the bleeding edge of "state of the art" technology where mere mortals just don't understand the synergy involved in the creation of this technological and artistic combination which transcends the mere composition of the individual elements and propels it up to stratospheric heights whereupon it gathers momentum on it's downward trajectory with the aid of gravity to once again transmutate into a melange of ill fitting and contrary juxtapositions of it's components as it attempts to occupy the same space as the hard ground as it comes into contact with the same thus forever altering it's configuration and even surpassing the meagre and mediocre parameters of it's design and acheiving true artisan status worthy of display in any establishment of the finer arts, and moreso, perhaps being worthy of the ultimate accolade which could be garnered by such a contraption, that being a ceremonial procession by a suitable vehicle for this journey, a dumpster, to it's permanent home at a local tip where the local denizens do heap voluminous offerings of their refuse and undesirable matter to venerate the presence of this worthy recipient of their homage.

• Like 3

Yep, Lampizator is the shit... Literally.
I've been seeing examples of the quality work this guy puts out for a number of years. Most have been a masterclass in how not to do something. Can't believe how many 'phools buy into this guys crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the lampizator site clearly states that the tube stage does the I/v conversion.

but the pictures clearly show the voltage output of the soekris dac (there is no current output) going directly to the attenuator modules, there are 2 because its balanced.

there seems to be no discussion of the actual tube output stage, and rarely have I seen cathode followers done as dht, so its probably a low gain plate output stage likely with a plate resistor. Also the pictures would otherwise show 4 separate filament windings (well 5 counting the diode rectifier) if it was cathode follower.

even Mikhail would have a hard time building a piece of crap like this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wink said:

But, but,  this is the bleeding edge of "state of the art" technology where mere mortals just don't understand the synergy involved in the creation of this technological and artistic combination which transcends the mere composition of the individual elements and propels it up to stratospheric heights whereupon it gathers momentum on it's downward trajectory with the aid of gravity to once again transmutate into a melange of ill fitting and contrary juxtapositions of it's components as it attempts to occupy the same space as the hard ground as it comes into contact with the same thus forever altering it's configuration and even surpassing the meagre and mediocre parameters of it's design and acheiving true artisan status worthy of display in any establishment of the finer arts, and moreso, perhaps being worthy of the ultimate accolade which could be garnered by such a contraption, that being a ceremonial procession by a suitable vehicle for this journey, a dumpster, to it's permanent home at a local tip where the local denizens do heap voluminous offerings of their refuse and undesirable matter to venerate the presence of this worthy recipient of their homage.

You should write reviews for 6MOONS! :P

• Like 3

9 hours ago, complin said:

You should write reviews for 6MOONS! :P

Thay would be in severe contravention of my unbiased and amateur status....   :o

Becoming a professional reviewer would counter and negate any vestiges of veracity and factual reporting I may have ever possessed or had thought to have acquired in my long and tumultuous journey in the realm of high fidelity and the acquisition thereof.....   :wacko:

• Like 1

On December 2, 2016 at 3:22 AM, spritzer said:

I just attached these as the world has to see this garbage.  The list price is 19000$ plus the dac's which are 2000$.  Yup...2k$ for two ~200$ modules.  File_001 (2).jpegFile_005.jpeg

A few highlights for me are the mains transformer glued upside down into the wood with exposed mains wiring.  Other parts glued into the bottom plate and almost no connectors used anywhere.  I really think that is the best sign of a hack, shit is just tacked together with no care and they hope for the best. 

I think we have a new Single Power on our hands or Mikhail moved to Poland. 

Ah, Old World Craftsmanship! :palm:

This stuff has just way too many similarities to Single Power for me to be comfortable. 

As for the mafia dac, Kevin and I were inspired by the Lampi crap so we are going to do just that.  Hell why not use 845's for the tube output?  Throw some caps on them and it will be alright!!! 

Edited by spritzer