The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

57 minutes ago, bwck2000 said:

Just sold my SR-007A(sz2) and looking for a new pair of 007.

Is the 007mk1 still the best headphone stax have ever made,or the new 007 mk 2.9?

I prefer a livelier sound ,but i have also heard that the 007mk1 is pretty much like the lambda nova sigature, which i have and like the most among the other lambdas

4 hours ago, catscratch said:

There are pros and cons to both. The Mk2.9 has better dynamics and more treble energy but its midrange tonality isn't quite as spot on as the Mk1. But make sure that your amp is up to par, cause if it's not, you'd be better off with something easier to drive.

currently building a kgst ,and a kgsshv carbon in the future:)

Will there be possibilities that the stocks of 007A in Japan are still the infamous mk 2.5?

I know Pricejapan.com is renowned here but i hv never use a third-party retailer to buy from japan (except auctions)

If the japanese website only ships within Japan, I use a consolidated shipment from third party which charges me about 2.5 USD a pound from japan to Hong Kong. Very convenient:)

don't know is such a service available in yr country tho

Edited by bwck2000

On 1/9/2017 at 0:41 PM, bwck2000 said:

I hv just sold my 007A sz2 for its lack of transparency and smoothness of the sound. which one , 007 mk1 or mk2.9 ,does better in these two aspects?

Mk1 is more open and smoother IMHO. But rumour says there might be a Mk3 coming this year... so you might want to wait :).

Recently picked up a Stax SR-007 MK2 set of headphones (current production).  Using them with a Stax SRM 007tA, they sound very good, and a nice step up from the SR-507's.  It does seem like the SRM 007 runs out of steam with demanding source material.  

Would the KGSSV with the 400 volt power supply be sufficient to drive the SR 007's?  

Also need to look into the port mod as well.   

• Like 1

Recently my SR-009 has developed an intermittent drop out in the left channel. It comes and goes when I wiggle the cable about 1/2 inch below the earpod connector. I am planning to open it up and check the cable for continuity and if OK, will resolder the internal connections. If not I will replace the cable. My only previous experience with disassembling the SR-009 involved only changing out the earpads.

The first question I have is this something I can DIY on my workbench? Or is a clean room required to properly service, requiring these to be shipped to a STAX service center?

Any weird quirks when working on these headphones, or will it be pretty straight forward? 

You only have to worry about dust if you have to open up the actual drivers or if there are holes in the dust covers and dust got in (in which case you probably would have already heard some buzzing or squealing). See the infamous SR009 ant thread on HF for disassembly pics along with some pretty hilarious posts. 

You may get more luck out of Electromods UK than Yama's. Yama's are pretty much tightarses with Stax parts and most of the time will say nada or direct you to contact the Stax distributor in your country. Electromods are a better bunch to deal with as I've ordered some one off Stax parts they had laying around no other distributors I contacted had.

• Like 1

Well, I did pick up a KGSSHV amp for the SR-007's.  Oh My!  What a difference from the stock Stax SR-007tA amp.  The phones sound quite a bit different with the KGSSVHV amp.  Unit I actually heard this setup, could not fully appreciate just how good the SR-007's can sound.  There is a lot more drive and dynamic contrast with the new amp.  

All in all, I'm very satisfied.  Hard to fathom that there is even further improvement that can be had.  :-)

• Like 5