The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The 007's really need a kick up the backside to perform.  :) 

I just got some 007BL's yesterday and they appear to be completely stock so it will be fun to modify them.  Stock they sound just a bit dull to be honest.  The bass has the slight overhang to it and the soundstage is a bit too big.  Treble needs a slight kick up the pants but it can all be fixed with the arcs.  Feels a bit like 2002 to me... when I was messing with the Mk1's for the first time.  ;D 

• Like 5

I'd like to ask for some advise on how to wire a cable to connect a source rca output to an electrostatic amplifier xlr input that have pin one connected to the chassis.

I have male rca and xlr connectors and coaxial cable.

I've read that the amplifier negative input fet must be shorted to ground.

Which of the following two possibilities is correct?

a - Strand two coaxial cables for each channel. Connect one center conductor between the rca + center pin and the xlr + pin two. Connect the other center conductor between the rca outer shell and the xlr - pin 3. Connect both coaxial cable shields to xlr pin 1 only.

b - Use only one coaxial for each channel. Connect one center conductor between the rca + center pin and the xlr + pin two. Connect the coaxial cable shield between the rca outer shell and the xlr - pin 3 and short pin 3 to pin 1.

In both cases, is a resistor between xlr - pin 3 and the rca outer shell (or xlr pin 1) necessary? Which resistance?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

wp_ss_20170129_0001 (2).png

XLR-to-RCA-580x258 (2).png

Thank you for your advice. 

The input is a balanced dual fet LSK-389 and as far as I know it accepts a single ended signal as long as the negative one is tied to ground. 

People are used to insert a neutrik adapter which has (again AFAIK) the rca ground tied to both pin 1 and pin 3 inside the connector.

But there is a paper in which Rane advises that option "a", i.e, the negative input fet of the amplifier is tied to the source ground.

That's why I am still unsure what to do.  

12 hours ago, jgazal said:

Thank you for your advice. 

The input is a balanced dual fet LSK-389 and as far as I know it accepts a single ended signal as long as the negative one is tied to ground. 

People are used to insert a neutrik adapter which has (again AFAIK) the rca ground tied to both pin 1 and pin 3 inside the connector.

But there is a paper in which Rane advises that option "a", i.e, the negative input fet of the amplifier is tied to the source ground.

That's why I am still unsure what to do.  

Standard setup is to connect pin 3 to pin 1.  On my amps everything is grounded together so that way works perfectly. 

3 hours ago, emelius said:

just out of curiosity, what's THE driver unit to pair with the sr-207?...w/o going stupid on cost...

there's a store locally selling the 207s separate from the 2170 set...at not an unreasonable price...

The 252S works perfectly for them but they do scale up nicely.  Used 313 or something like that? 

• Like 1

I just would like to say, got my first Stam setup.

Stax SR007 MK1 and SRM 717 Black Model.

I got it of a headphone enthusiast who explained to me that even though this setup is not current model, its probably better than current.

I hooked it up today and coming from dynamic headphones, this is in a different league.

Why did I spend so much time with Dynamic Headphones.

On 1/19/2017 at 5:05 PM, spritzer said:

Do let us know if they will sell you the bloody cable as...well...they are very stingy with 009 parts. 

Finally found some resolution. 

STAX USA never replied to several calls and emails over 3 weeks. What a fuckhead, as I had bought a SR-007 Mk2 from Yamas earlier. 

ElectroMod did not reply to one email sent. A forum member here wrote to me that Mark there might be on vacation, so I continued to look elsewhere..

ECT out of Hong Kong replied and after much back and forth, Audrey there told me that they could not sell the cable separately. They are still out on the long CNY/Spring Festival holiday there, so nothing more to report.

So I contacted the Canadian STAX dealer, Plurison in Monteal. Great response and communication. After supplying them some requested info (where bought and serial number) and also supplying a video showing where the cable was shorting with a DVM, they contacted STAX in Japan, received a quote back and arranged A&M Enterprise LTD (handles all  STAX export shipments to dealers) to drop ship me a replacement cable from STAX Japan.

FOB cost of the cable was JPY28700 (~$254), EMS shipping was JPY2900 (~$26).  

I forgot how archaic doing business was with Japanese companies..... requiring a bank transfer. $40 added to send and another $40 to receive on their end. Argh! Luckily I did not have to FAX them the info. :lol:

As of today, A&M has received the money, will ship and forward the tracking number as soon they get the cable from the factory. So probably have the cable in hand in a week or so. 

I can highly recommend Douglas Ip at Plurison. Had a first rate experience in dealing with him. Straight forward and no bullshit. 

• Like 6

Used or new?

I got quoted for approx $560 AUD for 009 earpads from my Australian distributor (yes I know insane pricing) years back when I had an 009. 

Placed a bid on the ECR-600's as I will be converting the drivers to Stax style design even if the d/s gap is larger than Stax's standard pro-bias spec. It's useless without the original adapter anyway.

I have a good gut feeling the price of it will go sky high like the ECR-800 as there are serious collectors in Japan.

Edited by DefQon