The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

3 hours ago, aldavey said:

OK, serious apologies if this is a repeat. My Birgir Carbon is superb. Who can build me a T2? I've really gone down the rabbit hole without any diy skills.

You could start by joining in the T2 chassis group buy - would certainly make it easier for a builder to deliver a finished product to you.

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/12929-diy-stax-srm-t2-chassis-group-buy/

I've noticed myself increasingly listening to my HD650 out of the GS-1 with Dynalo+ boards versus my 007A MkII out of my KGSSHV Carbon.  For whatever reason the TH900 hasn't received much love at all but I figure it's the peaky treble.....anyhoo.  

It dawned on me.  It's the damn spring in the 007A up against my ears that's figuratively a pain in my arse...fricken uncomfortable.

Those damn springs are coming out.  Undecided on the port mod.

HS

9 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

definitely the t8000 is dc coupled.  but it has a servo, so the frequency response low limit is .1hz

This is what Suzuki-san was saying in his video I think: DC coupled not strictly because of the use of servo. 

55 minutes ago, spritzer said:

Have you tried simply turning the spring inside the earpads?  :)

I have not, Birgir.  It's so firmly planted up against my ear as my ear mostly fits inside the pad that I doubt it will make much difference, but that's an easy test I'll try tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

HS

10 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I have not, Birgir.  It's so firmly planted up against my ear as my ear mostly fits inside the pad that I doubt it will make much difference, but that's an easy test I'll try tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

HS

You can also adjust the spring to give it a bit more lift.  Some nice pliers and you are good to go. 

• Like 1

Picked up a Stax Talent BD dac board that was used by the previous buyer. Thing is I can't find a single picture online, service manual or any evidence of what the power supplies are to this thing but I'm guessing from rough glance there should be a +/- 3/5, 9 and/or 12/24v rails to the dac board. Any suggestions?

@spritzer

@kevin gilmore

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

Edited by DefQon

I've seen that and that is indeed the DAC in question. The big box underneath is the battery circuit coupled with the transformer in the black box. The battery unit utilises 6x6v batteries, has an autocharge function from what I've read.

But I need some internal pictures or schematics for the whole unit to work out the power supply needed for the DAC board.

On 12/16/2016 at 11:36 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

OK - I have filed a report with Action Fraud. I spoke to someone rather than do it on-line because I needed to know how to do this under the circumstances of a UK criminal preying on US victims. 

The way this all works nationally (copied from their website) is:

City of London Police
The City of London Police is the national lead police force on fraud. It provides a central resource for counter-fraud policing and runs the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) and Action Fraud.

National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB)
The NFIB is where cases of fraud are reported to and was created by the police to help them catch fraudsters. All confirmed reports of fraud from Action Fraud are passed on to the NFIB.

I have a case number. NFRC 161 201 671 640, against which victims can report their particular circumstances. So we need to encourage as many of those to go on-line and enter their data.

The process for adding victim data is as follows:

1. Generate a new fraud report http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud-including-online-crime-questions

2. Use the reference number NFRC 161 201 671 640 (not sure where that is added, but I assume it is obvious at some point in the process)

3. The data entered by the victim will be associated with the data I supplied them

Way back in December I set the UK police system on the trail of this scam merchant, who was targetting US and other nationality buyers for high ticket audio items, getting the money, and sending no goods. He seemed to have been operating for years.

Anyhow, I have just had a call from West Mercia Police asking me to confirm what my recollection was of his modus operandum. We chatted for a while, and I wished her good luck in finding the guy. "Oh - we know precisely who he is"

So the system works - they have the bastard!

• Like 6