The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

On 1/22/2018 at 12:01 AM, vvar10ck said:

Good day everyone! Unfortunately Head-fi topic of Perun was deleted and they're requested for a sponsorship, it's from 1K $ per month and too expencive for us. Feel free to contact me via PM or http://perun.prfi.ru mentioned above.

_Image00001.jpg

Is that amp your company's amp?  It doesn't seem to be on your website and says "Flux Lab" on it?

7 hours ago, vvar10ck said:

It's KGBH SE (Analog Edition) made by Flux Lab Acoustics.

http://fluxlab-acoustics.com/Products/18

Does this mean the design is still in flux.....:lol:

I looked at the site, but it was all Greek Russian to me.......:ph34r:

Google Translate to the rescue.......;)

(MODEL DISMISSED / MODEL DISCONTINUED) FLUX LAB KGBH SE Hybrid amplifier for electrostatic headphones

Bodes well......:blink:

Amplifier for true connoisseurs of music! This model is an evolution of development, already well-proven design of the amplifier for electrostatic headphones - KGBH. The author of the circuit solution is a great enthusiast of electrostatic sound - Kevin Gilmour. Inspired by the legendary STAX SRM-T2 amplifier, he used a similar balanced output stage for electron tubes in his development of a semiconductor amplifier. This made it possible to obtain a high amplitude of the output signal with small distortions and a broad band of sound signal.

This model is assembled with two types of volume control. The basic version of the regulator is a relay type attenuator using signal relays of the Japanese company Fujitsu Takamisawa, in the version of "Analog" - a high-quality attenuator of the transformer type is installed. In the design of the amplifier used attenuators of the English company Sowter, and for switching the terminals of the transformer controller uses a precision galette switch Swiss company Elma.

Also in the configuration with a transformer attenuator, it becomes possible to use this model as a passive preamplifier.
Specifications

Band of reproduced frequencies:

5Hz-100kHz -0.1dB

0Hz-180kHz -3dB

10Hz-120kHz -3dB (Analog)

Harmonic distortion: <0.01%

The amplitude of the output signal is 1600V (peak-peak)

Gain: 60dB

Standard bias voltage: 580V (Pro)

Input connectors: XLR (two inputs), RCA (two inputs)

Power supply: AC 230V, 50 / 60Hz

Power Consumption: 180W

Dimensions: 440mm (W), 325mm (D), 180mm (H) Excluding the height of the lamps.

Weight: 16kg

Applied electronic lamps in the amplifier:

4 things. EL34 (6CA7)

Flux Lab Acoustics © 2009-2018

"Kevin Gilmour" this must be the Cyrillic spelling....... " Кевин Гилмор"...... Sounds moar exotic......:)

Also in the configuration with a transformer attenuator, it becomes possible to use this model as a passive preamplifier.

How about that, folks, a 180 Watt Passive pre-amp.................:wub:

Edited by wink

53 minutes ago, wink said:

How about that, folks, a 180 Watt Passive pre-amp.................:wub:

Hey you could get there.. just do a normal passive preamp and stick the Megatrons tube complement on top and run the heaters. I mean it would look pretty? right

Edit:: OMG I just started imagining the tube rolling options..

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Haha 1

First off fuck Jude and head-fi, if you really want a good reception for your electrostats, talk to folks who are very intimate with e-stat gear, Birgir (aka spritzer), Kevin and Wachara, if you pass the test and take on feedback for any constructive criticism (feedback) from them, then I'm sure people will like what they will hear. Before any of this happens, you have to cut the bullshit first followed by facts.

Though I have to be honest, the headphones do look kind of cheaply designed and built.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DefQon said:

Though I have to be honest, the headphones do look kind of cheaply designed and built.

It's an Perun maker's view. Design conseption is very distinctive and pagan as Perun is old slavic 'God of thunder and lightning'. These headphones are totaly handmade of natural materials as ash tree, and natural skin (lambskin) etc. This design  is antipode of modern 'eco-sh*t-leather' imitation and plastic parts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DefQon said:

First off fuck Jude and head-fi, if you really want a good reception for your electrostats, talk to folks who are very intimate with e-stat gear, Birgir (aka spritzer), Kevin and Wachara, if you pass the test and take on feedback for any constructive criticism (feedback) from them, then I'm sure people will like what they will hear. Before any of this happens, you have to cut the bullshit first followed by facts.

Spritzer may seem to be very abrasive at first. But look at what he had to say about the phenomenon libratum on its thread here. He was actually quite complementary about the sound signature. And measured in his criticism of day to day design issues. 

He is less measured when fan boys declare it the best thing since sliced bread. That's more on the fan boys than the headphone but may not come across was such.

Well, because I am credulous and vulnerable to hype trains (and have been peeping pictures of the drivers) I find myself wanting some L300-LE. Any thoughts about the best way to snag a pair in the UK when available?

If it's just a case of telling a friendly dealer to keep an eye out, that's fine- but if there's a better way, I'm mostly ears.

• 2 weeks later...

With the latest batch of SR-009 headphones (SZ9-4xxx), it seems that Stax has changed the wooden box. So far I've spotted only two sets like that out of dozens.

The question is whether they've tweaked them in any way, or they are exactly the same as before.

sr009box.jpg