The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

That ironically-titled "Thinker" guy actually gave me a headache. I found myself hoping that he was just another of the many shills/sock puppets that have been pushing these things- but I think he's just Head-Fi being Head-Fi. 

It's a shame, as even if they did happen to be semi-decent, these headphones are now are associated with not just skeevy dudes spamming forums, but actual cretins. Doesn't make sending $1000 to a random Russian feel any more sane than it did before.

Edited by Kattefjaes

6 hours ago, spritzer said:

Given that any discussion about these has been banned on the Russian forums and king fucktard Thinker is preaching the gospel fervently...I'll take a hard pass. 

Out of curiosity, which Russian forums do you read?

Edited by gepardcv

Seems I made Thinker, aka "person in charge of damaging the reputation and decreasing sales of Perrun" a bit testy.  Ahh joy of joy's...  :lol:

Also funny how people keep going on about me offering up the HE90 frame with Lambda drivers for 6k$.  Anybody want to guess how much two HE90 cups, the headband, cable, box and those insane little plastic gimbal pieces cost?  Yup...more than 6k$...  Ohhh and I got the last of these so no way asking Senn for any more...:ph34r:  I did try to get a HE-1 without the amps and cable but they kindly refused. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, spritzer said:

Seems I made Thinker, aka "person in charge of damaging the reputation and decreasing sales of Perrun" a bit testy.  Ahh joy of joy's...  :lol:

Also funny how people keep going on about me offering up the HE90 frame with Lambda drivers for 6k$.  Anybody want to guess how much two HE90 cups, the headband, cable, box and those insane little plastic gimbal pieces cost?  Yup...more than 6k$...  Ohhh and I got the last of these so no way asking Senn for any more...:ph34r:  I did try to get a HE-1 without the amps and cable but they kindly refused. 

Now, if you can please debunk the Jr. and Voce :D

2 hours ago, spritzer said:

hahaha he basically copy+paste all you guys posted :D seems a bit agitated

i did remembered seeing those though, HE90 frame with lambda drivers but it was long time ago, i forgot where i saw it, who posted it and how much for the asking price

maybe if you could give a few nice words about HE-1, they would reconsider it

On 3/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, Kattefjaes said:

It's a shame, as even if they did happen to be semi-decent, these headphones are now are associated with not just skeevy dudes spamming forums, but actual cretins. Doesn't make sending $1000 to a random Russian feel any more sane than it did before.

they're very brave. considering the waiting time is 2 months now according from the post in that thread. it could be headamp or singlepower case, time will tell

It's entirely academic. The fact that a bunch of skeevy dudes went in hard with forum shilling/sock puppeting for them in lieu of a "launch" or "marketing" makes the whole thing look like a burning clown car. Rewarding that sort of thing with polite interest, let alone currency, is asking to be fucked harder. It's an automatic hard pass from me, even if it didn't involve sending a four digit amount of money to Russia and crossing everything.

Edited by Kattefjaes

I thought linking stuff from here was grounds for gulag time over there? Or are they making a special exception?

This all reminds me of when Audio-GD first appeared and the shilling pretty much took over the entire amp section on HF. I wonder if that hurt or helped AGD in the long run, but I certainly hesitate now when I consider buying something from them, even though by all accounts the products themselves are quite good.

It's too bad, we need more quality electrostatics on the market and preferably not very expensive ones, but we don't need con jobs masquerading as legitimate products.

2 hours ago, catscratch said:

I thought linking stuff from here was grounds for gulag time over there? Or are they making a special exception?

This all reminds me of when Audio-GD first appeared and the shilling pretty much took over the entire amp section on HF. I wonder if that hurt or helped AGD in the long run, but I certainly hesitate now when I consider buying something from them, even though by all accounts the products themselves are quite good.

It's too bad, we need more quality electrostatics on the market and preferably not very expensive ones, but we don't need con jobs masquerading as legitimate products.

technically he is not linking, just quoting some of the post here. i forgot did he also mention this forum name or not. whatever it is, it's apparently allowed by the eye of sauron over there

3 hours ago, catscratch said:

**snip

I agree but I'm conflicted; on one hand affordable stats would be great and I might be able to try one. On the other hand there are several hundred volts on either side of my head and a low price might indicate someone somewhere is cutting corners.

I know, its pretty dumb, "Just because it costs more doesn't mean its built better." but what can you do. Impressions matter.

1 hour ago, penmarker said:

I agree but I'm conflicted; on one hand affordable stats would be great and I might be able to try one. On the other hand there are several hundred volts on either side of my head and a low price might indicate someone somewhere is cutting corners.

I know, its pretty dumb, "Just because it costs more doesn't mean its built better." but what can you do. Impressions matter.

orrrr you could wait, just wait for a bit, don't be a hero. wait until it's reach full maturity or everything become clearer or whatever. think like a pedophile case. if only they could wait, it would be okay i think

• Haha 1

The amp is only putting out about 20ma assuming a KG design, not to sure about stax. Even with all that voltage all you will get is an annoying zap. Just to give you an idea of how little current that is, 20ma is less than we normally use for temporary pacemakers in cardiac surgery and those leads go directly into the myocardium of the heart to regulate the beat. We typically use 50% higher voltage to start and go up from there..

• Thanks 1

With any of our amps (have to put the caveat "when built properly" as I've seen people jumper the safety stuff) and the Stax ones the damage potential would be minimal.  With the bias, sure it is 580V but it's based on a very current limited voltage doubler circuit plus the 4M7 high voltage ballast resistor on the output will prevent any damage. 

The amp section could deliver some real hurt though, +/-400V or upwards power supplies with the amplifiers being able to swing almost from rail to rail meaning you could see ~1500Vpp or more at one output.  This plus generous class A biasing means there is a lot of power at play here, hence the 5.1K output resistors.  If there would be a short to ground (i.e. you) they would take off the worst of it. 

Now look at Woo Audio, Cavalli plus other amps and these protection provisions are just not there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, you directed IFi, and the Ifi ESL Pro also doesn’t have it ? Then I am glad I went with KG and found the correct journey to venture down.  Many thanks to @purk, and the cooks here :D

Thanks @spritzerfor the confirmation about the voltage and the potentials.  I learn more things everyday 

Edited by Whitigir