The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

If you're only hearing distortion in the bass at high levels that definitely points towards the headphone being the source of failure.  As Pars mentioned, it sounds like the driver is nearing full excursion.  The lower the frequency, the more excursion.  You might also want to make sure that you're getting a proper seal with your headphones, as breaking the seal will lead to an emphasized resonant frequency, which is in the bass region, which will cause even more excursion than in proper operating conditions. 

2 hours ago, justreadingup said:

I think this whole subject is being blown way out of proportion and is totally due to your deafening listening levels and pushing your gear way beyond its limits, as well as your hearing. 

In the example song I posted, it's actually not very "loud" volume wise, but it's definitely a lot of bass. My issue isn't that I listen to everything very loud, but sometimes I hear distortion, and I have doubt in my mind whether or not it's my system or the music, and that leads to decreased enjoyment.

I just want to point out that I think the 007mk1 on the kgsshv is magical. I've heard almost all of the best headphones (ironically not the 009), and I've yet to find one that bests the 007mk1, especially in it's subwoofer-like subbass. It's also incredibly non-fatiguing and neutral. Yes, it's missing a bit of high end sparkle, but I don't find myself wanting more.

2 hours ago, justreadingup said:

7 hours ago, Voltron said:

Didn't you beg to be banned? Are you sticking around just to be cunty?

First off, why is it you told me to try just shutting up? Do you have reason for this? Did I do something personal to you that you should reply to me like this? Second, I didn't beg to be banned, I mentioned it if there was an issue with my reply, which at the time was a misunderstanding due to others thinking I was trolling as another member, did you know this? And third, my post to @powertoold wasn't harming or hurtful in any way, and if he had an issue with my post (which obviously he didn't) he could have said so himself. I'm sure he doesn't need you to defend him. 

Cunty? I'm sticking around to read, not to put up with anyones shit. You have no clue who you're replying to, or what one is capable of doing, and furthermore what one is going through in their lives at any given time, so be smart and don't run your mouth behind a keyboard because it only speaks in volumes as to how weak you are. It's like flipping someone off while doing 60mph in your car because you feel safe. Would you do this outside of your car face to face? Be wise, and use your head when replying. And remember, if you can't take what you dish out, then don't. And also, treat people how you want to be treated because you're definitely not special or better than anyone else, and one day it just may come back to you.

Lighten up and enjoy the rest of your day instead of treating people the way you do...you'll feel better about yourself.

@justfuckingup You're really going to lecture me on posting etiquette when the majority of your whopping 16 posts on this forum involve you sniping at people, defending yourself for your sniping and trolling, or else telling the administrator to go ahead and ban you? I feel quite confident in my understanding of the norms here. It seems like you are the one who would feel better about yourself by fucking off out of here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grawk said:

I don't normally read in this thread or he wouldn't have lasted that long, sorry Al :)

Oops, sorry, my bad.  I was reading it, but thought that Al was delivering the whoopass...kinda like watching a car accident.  Except verbally and legal.  I hope it didn't stress you out too much, and I'll try to be on top of it next time. 

@justreadingup -- decaf.

• Like 1

It’s so fuchsia’ed up, every time I go to the Australian section of any of my local retailers, they’re always out of Mollydooker.  And I’ve pretty much limited myself to Gigglepot, Blue Eyed Boy, and above, but I cannot even find the Boxer or Maitre D’.

Yes, I’m spoilt, I know.

They are good stuff, aren’t they?  Short of maybe Casillero del Diablo, best value for dollar?

Translation:  You're right, of course.

Best bang for the buck, my vote is going to 'Gem Clear'  ..  for those of us too cheap to splurge on 'Everclear' !

Special vote also goes to anything that comes in an unlabeled repurposed gallon of water or milk. BBW 

Well for myself, along with all the very sophisticated people living in small mountain towns across 'merica.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

Best bang for the buck, my vote is going to 'Gem Clear'  ..  for those of us too cheap to splurge on 'Everclear' !

Special vote also goes to anything that comes in an unlabeled repurposed gallon of water or milk. BBW 

Well for myself, along with all the very sophisticated people living in small mountain towns across 'merica.

Well, alright, I meant wine...higher alcohol content liquors are always going to win bigger dick contests as far as alcohol content is going to go...

The alcohol content was meant to part of an overall theme of lack of sophistication about where I live. 

So apparently I swung and missed.

Also believe it or not, even though both are 190 so pretty much pure alcohol. Gem clear is somehow hands down worse to drink.

stax-sr-009s.jpg.22a4da679ab1cac9bb6506495672d469.jpg

"This top model of open-ended electrostatic headphones is a challenge for the most demanding audiophiles, requiring uncompromising sound reproduction quality across the 5 Hz to 42 kHz frequency band. Thanks to the new generation of thinned Electrode Electrode (MLER2) Electrode Membranes (MLER2), the new geometry of air reduction holes and its gilded surface, which with its high specific gravity even further suppresses unwanted vibrations, brings the headphones perfectly balanced reproduction even in the area of the deepest frequencies. All-metal aluminum earbuds basically eliminate undesirable resonances. Headphones are designed exclusively for connection to any STAX desktop power amplifier."

Additional information:

http://www.audiotuning.com/images/Stax/Stax-SR-009S-Pi-UVP-170418.pdf

• Like 1