The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's unfortunate that a known high quality amplifier was not used. It looks like lot of time and effort was put into the review, but with the amps being either unknown, stax, or king sound I'm not sure the conclusions and comparisons can be relied on.

The front end of the system is also not mentioned, or I just missed it while scanning the review.

2 hours ago, Kattefjaes said:

So, what the hell is the "VE Enterprise E Lite" in this... peerless "review"?

https://headfonics.com/2018/05/mrspeakers-voce-review/

Has he really been running SR-007mk2 from an Aliexpress special?

The VE Enterprise E-Lite looks to be a modification of the Stax SRM-T1 but with 6SN7 outputs and constant current output loads. Also reported to have a basic regulated PS using zener diodes and MOSFET follower, which sounds like a simplified KGBH power supply. See discussion here:

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/13089-enterprise-e-lite-electrostatic-amp/

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Jim. For some reason, I didn't even bother searching. I'm blaming the fact that it's late.

Seawolf, it's not really a review- it's a Lego site- one that tends to conclude that "everything is awesome" in return for free stuff. There are loads of them out there, it's a minefield.

Edited by Kattefjaes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get a pair of SR-007. Should I be searching for the MK1 or would I be better off getting the MK2 and doing the port mod.

My main concern with the MK1 is the channel imbalance & driver failure. But I hear people say the MK1 offer better sound stage.

It's not just a question of Mk1 or Mk2. If I counted them right in total there are three versions of each (plus the 'Mk2' vs 'A' paint scheme) But generally they all sound like SR-007s, so just get one for a good price which you can resell if you don't like it.

The cable entry can fail on the Mk1, but it's not something that can't be fixed. And if you need replacement head- or earpads, they are only available in black color.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mach3 said:

I'm looking to get a pair of SR-007. Should I be searching for the MK1 or would I be better off getting the MK2 and doing the port mod.

My main concern with the MK1 is the channel imbalance & driver failure. But I hear people say the MK1 offer better sound stage.

Not to mention cable entry durability as padam said. I'd just get an in-production model (MK2 or A, same thing but different colors and prices since the latter is from Japan). Sounds amazing, also less laid back treble response which I say is a good thing (I find it more natural). And it's built to last.

• Thanks 1