The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

12 hours ago, Rossliew said:

You don't really need to go straight to the BHSE/009. Even a regular lambda/kgsshv combo sounds good. Or an 007/kgsshv combo to give u top tier sound.

The SR-007 even with just a KGSS sounds more transparent to me than any non electrostatic headphone (and I have owned the Audeze LCD-4, LFF Code-6, and other high end planars for reference).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, catscratch said:

People have been spreading the idea that driver/ear distance with Lambdas doesn't matter and you can use whatever pads you want, and it's become common knowledge. I guess 10db of midbass hump and nothing below 50hz qualifies as great bass to people.

That is quite shocking level of technical ignorance...  :palm:

9 hours ago, JimL said:

BHSE/007 MkII w/ port mod is somewhat less of a financial jump, and some of us prefer it to the 009.

So what is consider the ultimate jump combo would be, T2 DIY with SR-Omega or the T2 DIY with the new SR-009s?

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

What the actual fuck is up with that??  :blink:

Looks like either a SR-202 or SR-207 with the following

Modhouse Audio Stax earpad adapter & ZMF lambskin earpads.

https://www.modhouseaudio.com/stax-earpad-adapter/xbd7diflbdflc39z62hgswzxgqship

Hard to compare them directly as we have not yet built the adapter to drive them off normal bias outputs but the KSE1500 is just a tad bright for me.  I fixed it with the EQ with a slight dip at 6khz...  As for the sound, the KSE1500 is pretty good, much more in line with the neutral tonality of the 007's over the 009's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, spritzer said:

Hard to compare them directly as we have not yet built the adapter to drive them off normal bias outputs but the KSE1500 is just a tad bright for me.  I fixed it with the EQ with a slight dip at 6khz...  As for the sound, the KSE1500 is pretty good, much more in line with the neutral tonality of the 007's over the 009's. 

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up driving 20min to pick them up after seeing your response. Offer was too good to pass.

This will keep me busy until my SR-007 MK1 arrives.

Edited by Mach3
  • Like 1

Time for some more musings on the 009S...  After a week in NYC I got back to new EP-007's earpads and they are on the phones now.  Not the improvement I was looking for to be honest and now the bass issues bother me even more.  It's one of those things, when you notice the lack of impact it starts to eat at you.  You hear it in every offending track and it really detracts from the listening experience.  This is not a seal issue as they are clearly airtight.  Over all though, the 009S is an improvement over the 009 but this one part just bothers me a lot.... 

Interesting to compare the earpads of the 009 to the 009S.  The former are about 8mm less tall in the front and much softer.  The back is the same height but again, the actual volume of the earpads is clearly different due to how much they compress.  Last mod I'm going to try are the 009 earpads on the 009S before they are put away into the collection. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Few days ago one channel of my he60 started to lose volume and now even the balance knob cant fix it completely........Does anyone has a single or a pair of he60 spare driver for sale? I have put wrinkled mylar on the driver to keep dust away since I have the he60 on my hand so I guess the dust was already there when its made.......

34 minutes ago, bwck2000 said:

Few days ago one channel of my he60 started to lose volume and now even the balance knob cant fix it completely........Does anyone has a single or a pair of he60 spare driver for sale? I have put wrinkled mylar on the driver to keep dust away since I have the he60 on my hand so I guess the dust was already there when its made.......

Have you tried resolder all the joints?

If nothing helps, you might want to try recoating the diaphragm.  

Edited by chinsettawong

Im sure it is not the joint's fault. When I vary the earcup's pressure by pressing the headphone towards my ear it occassionally gets louder. 

I have the diaphragm recoated this morning. The coating seems to be too thick, i.e. , the whole driver is fxxked up.?

On 7/14/2018 at 6:55 AM, spritzer said:

Time for some more musings on the 009S...  After a week in NYC I got back to new EP-007's earpads and they are on the phones now.  Not the improvement I was looking for to be honest and now the bass issues bother me even more.  It's one of those things, when you notice the lack of impact it starts to eat at you.  You hear it in every offending track and it really detracts from the listening experience.  This is not a seal issue as they are clearly airtight.  Over all though, the 009S is an improvement over the 009 but this one part just bothers me a lot.... 

Interesting to compare the earpads of the 009 to the 009S.  The former are about 8mm less tall in the front and much softer.  The back is the same height but again, the actual volume of the earpads is clearly different due to how much they compress.  Last mod I'm going to try are the 009 earpads on the 009S before they are put away into the collection. 

That's how I felt about the Sonoma stat headphones. Except they also had too much treble too.  :(