The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

On 9/6/2018 at 3:49 PM, Whitigir said:

With small frame glasses, not much, but with larger frame, the subbass is stronger and bass overall shift toward sub and lower bass.  Tight sealing gives it a much more balanced and accurate bass.  I have not observed much on the mid to high spectrums, unless the ports are vastly huge, then it becomes muddy

My sr-007 not farts I have not done the port mod I was curious but did not feel it necessary.  The original pads are soft and seal fairly well so I think they are ok with glasses, not much difference. The newer spare pads are harder so no glasses. ? The old Lambda Signatures were noisy and the little sr-003s.

Edited by judo

Hello there, new GG owner here (almost...ordered, still waiting for delivery :-) ), will power a 009

Can I ask how many other GG owners out there, and if they are still happy with the toy after sometime? I don't see so many discussions about the KGHVGG, maybe is that because it's quite new? I have chosen it versus the Carbon because I like more its tubey sound.

I understand GG is an autobias design (right??) so no need to adjust bias, but I expect the usual balance/offset is needed, or will the opto servo do the magic? sorry for the stupid questions, noob here :-)

6 hours ago, phaeton said:

Hello there, new GG owner here (almost...ordered, still waiting for delivery ? ), will power a 009

Can I ask how many other GG owners out there, and if they are still happy with the toy after sometime? I don't see so many discussions about the KGHVGG, maybe is that because it's quite new? I have chosen it versus the Carbon because I like more its tubey sound.

I understand GG is an autobias design (right??) so no need to adjust bias, but I expect the usual balance/offset is needed, or will the opto servo do the magic? sorry for the stupid questions, noob here ?

The servo do it magic once dialed in.  It is a carbon with tubes output, and yes, the GG is newer

2 hours ago, phaeton said:

actually I will use my own tubes, I have two matched EL34 SED =C= quartets, so the builder (Soren) will only check that everything is ok with some other tubes. 

from the above I guess the balance/offset is still something to do after new tubes are installed right?

Nope, just drop in, and enjoy the thing.  The GG is much more tubes friendly than T2.  It took JJ 6CA7, EL34, where as my T2 spit in my face and burn my JJ-6CA7....that plasma and Arcs showed everywhere like a firework display

5 hours ago, Whitigir said:

... and yes, the GG is newer

No that isn't true.  The GG is actually much older than the T2DIY but it was never drawn up until after I finished the first Carbon boards.  The actual design is much, much older.  Stax even did a version of that basic design for one of the T2 prototypes so early 90's. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Nope, just drop in, and enjoy the thing.  The GG is much more tubes friendly than T2.  It took JJ 6CA7, EL34, where as my T2 spit in my face and burn my JJ-6CA7....that plasma and Arcs showed everywhere like a firework display

at 1kv, into cold tubes when the turn on delay is not working, yep lots of plasma

that said, the T2 (both of them) can eat input tubes real easily especially when you put fake siemens tubes in there

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spritzer said:

No that isn't true.  The GG is actually much older than the T2DIY but it was never drawn up until after I finished the first Carbon boards.  The actual design is much, much older.  Stax even did a version of that basic design for one of the T2 prototypes so early 90's. 

There is not much new under the sun.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, spritzer said:

Ok, it is official...shit has gone crazy!! 

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u220740177

So that's the super rare SR-2 which Stax never officially made...for 4k$.  There was an epic bidding war right up to the last second.  I felt I overpaid for my set when I paid 250$ for it...  :palm:

I jumped into the bidding for a bit to see how high it was headed; dropped out after $700, woke up to see it at nearly $4K, but at least it seems to exist, right?

They are rare and that increases Stax prices to silly levels.  That said, not much known about them as my set is very different from the one on Y!.  Mine came from the UK and have the PWB baffle (as he was the distributor back then) which was also used on his own sets.  The drivers are pretty much the same as the SR-3 or late SR-1 but hard to tell if there are any real changes between them. 

• Like 2