The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

15 hours ago, spritzer said:

It's mostly me pushing for this as it is the second to last piece of the house renovation.  It's silly expensive though... the stone countertops are in the 10k$ range... 

thats only the price of two 009's. :)

16 hours ago, spritzer said:

It's mostly me pushing for this as it is the second to last piece of the house renovation.  It's silly expensive though... the stone countertops are in the 10k$ range... 

What kind of stone is it?  I kind of like the lava stone table top.  It should be cheap there in Iceland.  :)

• Haha 1

Nothing is cheap in Iceland...nothing at all.  :)  It is one of those artificial materials, Dekton or something like that.  Most of the cost is installation and cutting it all. 

I've been baking professionally since I was a child so not an interest, more what I was born into.  I can't do it anymore though due to my bum knee so I've been focusing on other things more recently. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 1:40 AM, spritzer said:

Ok, it is official...shit has gone crazy!! 

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u220740177

So that's the super rare SR-2 which Stax never officially made...for 4k$.  There was an epic bidding war right up to the last second.  I felt I overpaid for my set when I paid 250$ for it...  :palm:

Absolute bargain compared to some of the junk that gets pumped out recently. oBravo Ra C-Cu ($9990 USD and heard from multiple source it requires a desktop amp to reach it full potential) Makes a full Stax setup look cheap.

17 hours ago, spritzer said:

New Stax product for the 80th anniversary.... a black SR-009... ::)

https://stax.co.jp/products/sr-009bk/

OMG they only going to make 180 world wide. Santa I've been good this year. Wishlist ticked

Edited by Mach3

And the 009S diaphragm is probably honestly better anyway (leaner, seemingly faster transient decay, if not as "tone appropriate" -whatever that means- and indeed harsh as the original 009). It is just a $ and 'build the brand' side-load, even if a relatively small one. The Committee at Stax, the Japanese operators, Meguro, and Edifier were at odds..., mulling development and the eventual- as in seemingly somewhat up in the air, release of whatever product iteration is to succeed the 009/S.. I should qualify and say the 009 is still good, I simply have preferred given/in time what their 009S (product iteration) brought to market, not that I should say anything there.

Certainly the successor will be better, but how much better will they choose to let on. The 'S' is 'alright' to pretty good already.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:38 AM, purk said:

I'm not going to overpay for the SR009...when I can get them used for around $2500 now.....sadly I paid $3800 for mine a few years back.  Some of us even paid $5500ish back when the US economy was tanking.

Well I'm a sucker who just ordered one. Holidaying in Japan at the moment so got it tax free. Couldn't resist the all black housing.

Who here prefers the SR-009 over the SR-009s?

• Like 1