The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

5 hours ago, Mach3 said:

Also is it just a simple 6pin female lemo to 6pin stax plug to get a KSE1500 to work off the old normal bias Stax energizer?

Has Shure or someone else published the pin-out for the KSE1500 plug? Without that you can't make an adapter. Not to mention that you need a 6 wire cable to fit the 6 pin lemo jack, although since the voltages are relatively low there is no need to use special HV insulation.

Edited by JimL

4 hours ago, JimL said:

Has Shure or someone else published the pin-out for the KSE1500 plug? Without that you can't make an adapter. Not to mention that you need a 6 wire cable to fit the 6 pin lemo jack, although since the voltages are relatively low there is no need to use special HV insulation.

Anyway to work that out using a multi meter or an oscilloscope to measure the output from the KSA1500 AMP/DAC?

8 hours ago, Mach3 said:

Anyone know what's a top condition SR-007 MK1 with the carbon box is worth these days?

Also is it just a simple 6pin female lemo to 6pin stax plug to get a KSE1500 to work off the old normal bias Stax energizer?

Who knows what the oldest 007's fetch these days.  I for one wouldn't overpay for one as the newest units are the best 007's IMO. 

As for the KSE1500...well no.  There is one pin which senses the headphones being there or not but I haven't looked into what's in there.  The biasing is also not really compatible with the Normal bias standard...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 3:26 AM, spritzer said:

Who knows what the oldest 007's fetch these days.  I for one wouldn't overpay for one as the newest units are the best 007's IMO. 

As for the KSE1500...well no.  There is one pin which senses the headphones being there or not but I haven't looked into what's in there.  The biasing is also not really compatible with the Normal bias standard...

I am new to this site and I have been reading this thread on and off. I have been using a Lambda Pro and SRM 1 Mk2 since I bought the set in 1986 and I started using the setup more and more again in recent years after a longer hiatus.  However, the Lambda Pro was always on the bright side for my taste and I currently use DSP EQ to bring the treble down slightly and the bass up a little.  I decided to upgrade a while ago and have been researching for about a year on how to go about it.

Last April I went to CanJam LA and listened to the 009 and BHSE combo for about an hour.  The conditions at the show where ok, but not great for evaluation. In any case I found that the set sounded quite good, certainly better that my Lambda Pro, but still on the bright side of perfect and therefore for me not worth spending 10k on.  My local Stax dealer here has a sale and I listened to an Sr-007 Mk2 (SZ3...) in the shop for about an hour. I quite like the sound and found that it got me really emotionally involved in the music without annoying me. However, I am also wondering whether it would be better to look for a used good condition Mk1 unit instead?  I am about to pull the trigger on the new Mk2 (dicount ends next Saturday). Before I do maybe Spritzer or others could chime in on the following questions:

1. I gathered from the thread that the SR-007 Mk1 should have the most neutral sound character and least coloration.  However the statement above from Spritzer suggests that the newest units are the best which I think are the SZ3 ... serial numbers?  Is it reasonable to expect that a new Mk2 unit (SZ3...) with the port mod would achive a similar or same sound quality as a Mk1 unit? 

2. I would be using the SR-007 with my SRM1 Mk2 for awhile before upgrading the amp. Before the purchase of teh SR-007 I will bring my amp to the dealer to see how they work together. For an amp upgrade I am contemplating BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon.  Since I won't have a chance to hear at tleast the carbon beforemaking the decision I am wondering about how they would differ from each other with an Sr-007?

3. Regarding the port mod on the Sr-007. I was wondering if it would make sense to produce a fitted piece of plastic to plug the port by 3D printing it, for a cleaner solution compared to the bluetac. I haven't seen the diassembled headphone in detail to determine that. However, if it makes sense I think I would have the ability to model such a piece and I have a 3D printer in the office to produce it.

1. Opinions vary but to me the SR-007 Mk1 is a bit soft, the SR-007 Mk2 with port mod is close to neutral and the SR-009 is on the bright side.

3. The advantage of Blu-Tank over a fitted piece of plastic is that the Blu-Tak can mold to any small irregularities and form an air-tight seal, whereas there may be some small gaps with a printed plastic piece. As the whole idea of the port mod is to seal off the port completely, Blu-Tak should do a better job.

• Like 3

Thank you for your reply. I guess regarding the sound quality of the different 007 versions it will lastly depend on personal opinion and take some time to figure out how the really work out for me.  I think I will make the purchase of the new mk2 as it might be difficult to find a mk1 used in great condition anyway and there is always some risk involved in buying used. I also like the idea of supporting the local dealer. Which model are you currently using?

Good point regarding the port mod. I guess I am looking for an excuse to play around with the 3D printer :).

Stax has made it ultra confusing with the SR-007. From my knowledge there is 4 version.

7xxxx (Earlier one comes with carbon box, later serial number comes with the standard box), SZ1-xxxx (Slight driver changes not sure what's the changes), SZ2-xxxx and the SZ3-xxxx.

Can anyone firm what the changes are between each revision. Also anyone has owned all 4 to evaluate the sound difference?

The doubts about 007 are a classic.

After thinking about it a lot, having many doubts and talking it over and over again (thanks Antonio) I decided to buy an SZ3 because it seems that it sounds "similar" to the original and on the other hand, I did not like to buy an earphone with many years and that probably has had several owners.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jose said:

The doubts about 007 are a classic.

After thinking about it a lot, having many doubts and talking it over and over again (thanks Antonio) I decided to buy an SZ3 because it seems that it sounds "similar" to the original and on the other hand, I did not like to buy an earphone with many years and that probably has had several owners.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I have come to the same conclusion. Are you happy with the SZ3 that you boiught and have you done any mods to it?

Well, I have several amplifiers designed by members of this forum (Dr. Gilmore, Birgir, Jim, Kerry.... thanks guys). You can look up information in the DIY section.

All these amps contribute something but I like the 007 especially with the BH / GG ... but that's just my opinión.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, Mach3 said:

6000 Yen is about that price. Throw in 20-30 buck for international delivery

http://audioon.blog.jp/archives/1073265658.html

Spot on.

Woo just notified they will be in stock in the US in 2 weeks. Cost: $70 shipped.

Wish they would release the .stl files so could just 3D print ‘em, instead of being Jack’ed around.....

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2018 at 12:15 AM, blenheim said:

Good point regarding the port mod. I guess I am looking for an excuse to play around with the 3D printer :).

You could still 3D-print molds and then build plugs from other elastic materials, I was thinking acrylic, sugru or silicone. Not sure if any of those are actually better than Blu-Tac.  I'd buy a pair if you figure out a good material and were able to drop them off in Yaletown...