The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

Nope, nothing aside from the purchase date and even that can be unreliable as dealers might have old stock sitting around. 

So thats a bit of a bummer then, especially if you buy a new set and find they are old stock using the old drivers.  So the SZ3- prefix is no guarantee then.

So if I decide to replace my existing Mk2 with another, how sonically will I know if I've got the newest version?  

Edited by complin

Well which Mk2 is that?  :)  If it is the post 2010 version then the biggest difference is the midrange as those has this "honk" to it which the latest one doesn't have.  That and the bass port is more refined on the new ones which is a non issue if they are port modded but worth a mention. 

11 hours ago, Tachikoma said:

So, wait a minute. Looks like he changed the Shure plug to a 5-pin Stax pro plug, but how does that make the KSE1500, designed for a 200V bias supply, compatible with Stax pro bias (i.e. 580 volts). Magic?

Edited by JimL

1 minute ago, JimL said:

So, wait a minute. Looks like he changed the Shure plug to a 5-pin Stax pro plug, but how does that make the headphones compatible with Stax pro bias (i.e. 580 volts). Magic?

Yeah I was surprised as well, when I saw the FS post on Head Fi it's magic (should have needed time to mod it to 200 volts). But the downside is that the amp (Kingsound M03) can't be used to drive STAX or Kingsound H series electrostats. 

14 minutes ago, Lord_Rexter said:

Yeah I was surprised as well, when I saw the FS post on Head Fi it's magic (should have needed time to mod it to 200 volts). But the downside is that the amp (Kingsound M03) can't be used to drive STAX or Kingsound H series electrostats. 

No biggie, as apparently the M03 is a POS anyway. And I'm guessing that if someone should accidentally plug that modded KSE1500 into  third party amp (AFAIK they are all Pro bias only these days)  that didn't have the appropriate bias safety resistor, the current dump would zap the diaphragms. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.

Edited by JimL

Well isn't this glorious...  ;)

Interieur_2.thumb.jpg.47686068a6d89108134ce94b9216defe.jpg

Interieur_1.thumb.jpg.55714b177a2f0ec835141c903e92f3b5.jpg

Couple of chip amps driving the two blue transformers, real high quality stuff.  One thing I do wonder about, how did the bias drop down to 200V?   Here is a pic of the bias supply:

m0314.jpg.26e2d8c515c2dcc20046a0f6babc2ec8.jpg

This is clearly a voltage doubler driven off the small transformer on the other side.  One quick issue, the ballast resistor is 1M so not a good idea to use this with Stax stuff....  Back on point, if the bias is +580V then there is no easy way to get 200V here unless you fit a voltage divider which could be a real problem with a supply like this. 

18 hours ago, VeryCoolAlan said:

Ouch bro ;D!

Damn didn't know people thought I was THIS dumb!

Lol

9 hours ago, JimL said:

A bit late to the party, aren't we? That post was ONE YEAR ago!

The post is still as relevant today as when I posted it..........?

• Haha 4

On 1/3/2019 at 8:34 PM, wink said:

The post is still as relevant today as when I posted it..........?

Oh, I agree, just commenting on the fact that it took him a year to respond. I just hope it didn't take him an entire year to figure out a response..

After some absence from the game went to stax dealer to listen to the new lambdas and I must say I really enjoyed the L-500 sound, not bright as fuck as the 507(didn't have the L-700). I had the 007 mk1 which I though was too dark but the 007mk2 sn/Z3 on the dealer just sounded pretty spot on. Maybe I'm just aging to prefer this sound and my mind is playing tricks.

Is the L-700 the lambda do get or older versions are still better?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spychedelic Whale said:

After some absence from the game went to stax dealer to listen to the new lambdas and I must say I really enjoyed the L-500 sound, not bright as fuck as the 507(didn't have the L-700). I had the 007 mk1 which I though was too dark but the 007mk2 sn/Z3 on the dealer just sounded pretty spot on. Maybe I'm just aging to prefer this sound and my mind is playing tricks.

Is the L-700 the lambda do get or older versions are still better?

The L-500 are just L-300 with L-500 earpads. You're much better to grab the L-300 with L-700 pads. But of course L-700 are superior if you're willing spend more.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, padam said:

Only partially. If it was a 'full-on' ad, it would be the usual, 'best I've heard, worth every penny, you must upgrade now' rather than 'I think I prefer the SR-007 Mk2 now'.

Speaking of which, in this shop, both the SR-007 Mk2 and the stock SRM-727II (as well as the SR-L700) are available at a significant discont (weirdly, the set price is not discounted), although I don't have any experience with them but these are a lot better than the usual EU prices.

Is this shop legit? Their prices are almost used price. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at Danish trustpilot they seem to be legitimate. I believe I know people who have ordered from their Norwegian branch and got their products as advertised. If we assume their feedback on trustpilot is legitimate then the only thing a few people have been complaining about is somewhat slow delivery. Take it all with a grain of salt of course, I have no first hand experience with them, but they do have a physical store it seems.

Edit: Veterans on a Norwegian Hifi-forum attest to the store's credibility, I'm inclined to believe it is real.

Edited by Scgorg
More information

18 hours ago, Pars said:

They are shown as B stock... not sure if that means much for these or not?

Yeah only the 009 is B-stock it seems. Even if it was it would be killer price compared to what my dealer sells, take a look and run: Price Table

At this prices I'm tempted to just get the 007. What would be a good enough cheap amp just to get by while I get myself an kgsshv built?

• Like 1