The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

48 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

Your distributor and the Spanish one should take a look and learn, this is the EU and there's not much they can do to stop people purchasing from another EU country.

Funny story. Some time ago supersonido had this Rega speakers like half of the price of the Portuguese dealer so I just inquired him if he could do same price as I would prefer to buy from him. His solution ? Call the brand and make threats. Rapidly the prices went back to normal.

Could see same happening if we just showed these to our Stax dealers.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Spychedelic Whale said:

Funny story. Some time ago supersonido had this Rega speakers like half of the price of the Portuguese dealer so I just inquired him if he could do same price as I would prefer to buy from him. His solution ? Call the brand and make threats. Rapidly the prices went back to normal.

They could be in financial trouble and need to liquidate inventory, are they selling other things at steep discount?

13 hours ago, Spychedelic Whale said:

You didn't do it right, when there's some disagreement between importers prices buy from the one offering the best price, if that's not possible, NEVER tell who's offering the good deal. These mofos always complain to the manufacturer who will threaten the one offering good deals, specially if in the same area like it's Portugal and Spain.

As I see it those Danish dealers have met a favorable deal with Stax that allows them to offer generous discounts compared to the crappy dealers in Iberia who don't have large stock. For most of the Stax range they serve in a pre-order policy, you pay half the price, they order to factory, and a few weeks or months later, you get your cans and pay the remaining amount. In this fashion Stax can't offer any favorable discount to such importers, so the prices will always be higher than on "better" dealers.

• Like 1

@Torpedo Yeah always learning. That's exactly how he works.. asked to listen L-700, told me it was too expensive to ask one just to listen unless he needed to make a big order and that could take months, even a year.. also if I were to purchase it I  would need the 50% deposit.. and wait.. to arrive

This dealer crys that so few people buy stax products but like you said they seem to forget we are in European Union and the market its now global,  people will look before buying, no wonder they won't sell with those prices and this kind of service.

Rant off..

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, Spychedelic Whale said:

11 hours ago, Torpedo said:

You didn't do it right, when there's some disagreement between importers prices buy from the one offering the best price, if that's not possible, NEVER tell who's offering the good deal. These mofos always complain to the manufacturer who will threaten the one offering good deals, specially if in the same area like it's Portugal and Spain.

As I see it those Danish dealers have met a favorable deal with Stax that allows them to offer generous discounts compared to the crappy dealers in Iberia who don't have large stock. For most of the Stax range they serve in a pre-order policy, you pay half the price, they order to factory, and a few weeks or months later, you get your cans and pay the remaining amount. In this fashion Stax can't offer any favorable discount to such importers, so the prices will always be higher than on "better" dealers.

Well it isn't fair for a dealer to spend money having a store, stocking products and employing people, having you go there to listen and choose products, and then go buy somewhere else. 

If one wants to do that then they should order the product from the shop with the great price and return it if they don't like it and the shop allows. One shouldn't have a cake and eat it too in this situation. 

I can't understand how supersonido gets away with some of the prices they practice, most brands have some sort of price list that dealers should abide. 

I was mentioning the rega speakers story. I'll tell you another:

I bought a lyngdorf audio amp and speakers about one year ago at the portuguese dealer, who gave me a 15% discount on a brand that has a fixed price list. the prices online are all the same everywhere, so I got a very nice deal.  There are good dealers and bad ones everywhere! :)

• Like 1

The network of stax dealers in the U.S. collapsed.

The distributor (Yama's) was always a PITA.

There's a couple of online dealer's, but most of the brick and

mortar dealers bailed. They really need to make an effort to

get this going again. The Dallas dealer always was well stocked and had

demo headphones out all the time. They currently have one of the best

headphone demo areas I've seen in the US. They have Senns, Grados, 

PSBs, and others out with a decent amp and source. It sold quite a few Stax systems

there and I'm sure they could again .You'd think the new management would be all about

making this happen. 

Edifier CEO talks to KitGuru about STAX OMEGA headphones and more !

Published on Jan 8, 2019

We recently had some time to sit down with Edifier CEO WenDong Zhang and he talked about them buying STAX and their relationship with the iconic headphone maker. He goes over other information on their speakers as well. Its an interesting interview if you are interested in audio.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mach3 said:

Man I hope they don't do a Hifiman. Stax SR-10k. RRP $10,000. Why are they so expensive? Because they sounds so good. ?

From the video it seems quite clear that it is not going to be an SR-009 replacement but a new take on the SR-Omega and it's going to be priced accordingly.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, Mach3 said:

Holy snap, new Omega III or what ever they going to call it (Top secret on expected release date). Wonder if it will knock the SR-009 off the flagship mantel.

Not sure how you can outperform SR-009...even a tweaked up Variant, the 009S isn’t any better.  The 009S is said to be personal preferences things, and from my point of view, it is exactly that.  However, for ultimate performances, I would say 009 is a much more matured version of 009S, and to me, the 009 is clearly the true flagship.

I also think it isn’t funny when people is interviewing about E-stats and not talking about the amplifier which it the Major thing of the technology. 

Edited by Whitigir
  • Like 2