The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Talking about the pads: Given the price for Stax earspeakers, I was shocked to learn that the pads are affixed using adhesive sheets. I expected something more “mechanical” than adhesion. One pad is already peeling away a little bit.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hi-Fi-Anatomia said:

@spritzer

How does the OG SR-Omega compare to the modern Omega II 2.9?

Given the SR-Omega is in 100% working condition (which isn't given at their current age) the Omega is warmer, with looser bass, more rolled off top end and the imaging is far less precise.  A lot of this though depends on the earpads which were always an issue with the Omega. 

Out of curiosity, where is the dust cover of the 007 located? In the modern lambdas I can see it from the outside (the thin plastic outside of the stator, right?) but I don't see it on 007 even when zooming in on the pictures @spritzer took of port modding 007. Does it just not have dust covers?

So, I just received a Stax SR-X MK3 normal bias today which is in absolutely immaculate condition. It's at least 40 years old at this point but for all I know it could have been opened a week ago. It also sounds really, really good to my ears considering the very low price I paid for them, easily beating out anything I've heard at sub 600-700 dollars. I've seen that the pro bias version of these is apparently all the rage, how do they differ, sound wise?

So I've had my SR-007 for a few weeks now and I've noticed that despite it being cool in my room 64F (17.7C)  and dry hair my ears get really hot and the black metal part with the holes (baffle?) has condensation on it. While I didn't notice this with my Nova Signature i have seen it in several of my other dynamics namely all of my Pioneers where i could see Moisture directly on the baffle and diaphragm.That being said I can probably assume this means moisture is on the moisture guard of the 007. I guess i just wanted to find out why this is happening is it extremely bad and if so is it better I just Shelve my 007s so I don't damage them? For reference I have an SR-007mk1 72xxx serial and I use them to listen to music around 4 hours a day during the week and about 12-16 hours a day on the weekends. Is it just the fact that I have such long listening sessions this happens or something else? Sorry for the rambling post I'm just worried About the headphones I just fell in love with.