The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

7 hours ago, soundwave said:

Thanks again for these comments. Pursuing the DIY path would allow me to build the amp into a case of my liking, if there are small enough circuit boards available?? 

Depending on how small is small. You can consider Kevin's current feedback design which is the smallest desktop electrostatic amp I have built to date. All parts are current, simplistic power supply and very good sounding to my ears. Even though money saving isn't the main reason for me to go the DIY route, this current feedback amp is also the cheapest to build. 

The amp board (per channel) measured 184mm x 64mm. 

There is a thread in the DIY forum dedicated to this amp. 

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, jose said:

Headphones are "cheaper" than speakers

I used to think that. Then I built a C-Note set. ?

On 9/11/2019 at 11:34 PM, soundwave said:

Has the Stax 007A been measured and did you apply the EQ based on those measurements, or did you apply the EQ just be ear?

I am aware of no reliable measurements of the later revisions of 007A, but I started with @Tyll Hertsens's measurements of the 007Mk2 from back in the day, adjusted by ear where I think they diverge, and then used AutoEq to find a 5-band PEQ adjustment suitable for the ADI-2. Then I toned it way down, because the Harman target and oratory1990's adjustments can be excessive.

FWIW, here's the 007A equalization set I use now:

band 1: shelf filter, +2.5dB, 75Hz, Q 1.0
band 2: peak, +2.5dB, 100Hz, Q 1.0
band 3: peak, +0dB, 1.0kHz, Q 1.0
band 4: peak, +2.5dB, 2.5kHz, Q 1.5
band 5: shelf, +0dB, 10.0kHz, Q 1.0

Fairly subtle, but IMO a significant improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

"...The design is based on the Megatron by Kevin Gilmore but is heavily revised to be a truly tube amp, straight from the power supply to the amp section."

It's fascinating to see how the people say they have "improved" Kevin's designs. I hope this guy shares those improvements with the DIY community too.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from a new member :)

Bit of a story as to how i found you, or why i wanted to ask here specifically, but i won't bore you with my oddities (of which i have many)! Suffice it to say for now that i wanted to ask here and -as it's of import-, that from your collective perhaps perspective i am new to all this; think terminology, technical apsects, esoterics and so on. Not new to listening though!

Now was recently handed a pair of SRΛ Pro Classics, which blew me away.. just, no words.. i have since been rediscovering my favourite and not so favourite as it turns out tracks.

What i wanted to ask you folks, should you be so inclined, is to help me understand where i 'stand' in terms of recent Stax products. Put differently, should i be considering an upgrade (note the hypothesis here, purely theoretical mind you! I could not care less, really), which of the current Stax models -think from there and upwards- would i be aiming at? Been a few decades since these particular Λάμδας, might be i don't need four grand for an upgrade; such is the hope anyway.

Any further clarification, what and why, would of course be mostly welcome.

Much obliged for your time. Hope it's not an issue, first post here coming in with a question.

The Pro Classic (Lambda Spirit in Japan and some other names in different markets) was the first "budget" Lambda and precursor to the L300 we have today.  The new Lambdas will give you some improvements but over all it is just different and not a major step forward. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much, both of you; G.A.S. huh? I liked that one. I've gas with my 200K Scoville rated Tabasco, but minus a trip or two to the throne room, it doesn't cost me anything..

2 hours ago, spritzer said:

The new Lambdas will give you some improvements but over all it is just different and not a major step forward. 

Left it vague on purpose, but i asked because they need a new headband and earpads. On top of them two that i cannot avoid ordering (and honestly, it's fine), the cable has seen better days; still fine, but you can tell even with a passing glance that, yeah..

This latter i cannot do anything about, though am sure others would. As i'm also not exactly well off, i have to consider longevity as well. I've got no idea how long this pair will last me.

I asked so i could 'weigh' what would be best for me, give 300 now just for the parts, probably more given the new EU customs regs, or keep that on top of what else i have, wait a bit more and buy the SR-L700MK2s (i will admit i cannot afford better, that would be my ceiling).

On top of this all, and it's my only complaint thus far, i do need to say that i've had 500ish€ headphones that felt better, having them on. These ones are.. loose; can't make them sit tight on me -you dirty bastards, focus please- no matter what i do; i saw they've since "improved" their headbands, only they aren't compatible with mine; so that too is a factor.

Decisions decisions.

Anyway, my thanks once again :)

* I wanted to get this "part" out of the way, so i can have some guarantee i'll always have something to listen with; if the phones die on me, i will cry if i need go back to the crap i was using. Because after having sorted all this it's easy, i know my way i think; need me a KGSSHV Carbon. That i also cannot afford.... Yet.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:13 PM, gepardcv said:

I used to think that. Then I built a C-Note set. ?

I am aware of no reliable measurements of the later revisions of 007A, but I started with @Tyll Hertsens's measurements of the 007Mk2 from back in the day, adjusted by ear where I think they diverge, and then used AutoEq to find a 5-band PEQ adjustment suitable for the ADI-2. Then I toned it way down, because the Harman target and oratory1990's adjustments can be excessive.

FWIW, here's the 007A equalization set I use now:

band 1: shelf filter, +2.5dB, 75Hz, Q 1.0
band 2: peak, +2.5dB, 100Hz, Q 1.0
band 3: peak, +0dB, 1.0kHz, Q 1.0
band 4: peak, +2.5dB, 2.5kHz, Q 1.5
band 5: shelf, +0dB, 10.0kHz, Q 1.0

Fairly subtle, but IMO a significant improvement.

I was looking for a L700 equalization  but my internet did not show me any source therefore to adjust my adi2

Here you go these are by metal571:

Youtube video link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zHolzGUTw

EqualizerAPO EQ Preset:

Channel: all

Preamp: -7 dB

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 1.41

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 70 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 1500 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 2

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 1.41

Filter 11: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2

Filter 12: ON HS Fc 10000 Hz Gain -2 dB

MiniDSP EARS HPN Compensated Measurements:

https://imgur.com/bus7TCF

• Thanks 2

On 9/12/2019 at 4:19 PM, soundwave said:

For example the L300 Limited has a nasty +7dB bump at 1300Hz which needs to be corrected.

If you listen to a sine sweep, it won't be there. Some people try to appear smart by listening through a FR graph.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I recently got my second pair of SR-007A, about a year apart from each-other. And the serial number is only slightly higher, both in the SZ2-23xx range. And I noticed that the new set had slightly different pads. Thicker, material feels a bit different. I of course did the blutak mod and I threw it on to measure and noticed that the pad resonant frequency is now at 70~hz and smaller than on my initial set. Can anyone else confirm that STAX changed the pads again?

Sample 2 is my new 007.

007 2.9 sample 2.jpg

0072.9 23xx.jpgEdit Note: Even if I get the seal perfect the bump is in the same spot, and the bass is almost completely flat sans a 2~db bump around 70~80hz rather than a 5~db bump at 50hz.
I do not have my first 007 here anymore so this is all based off memory and old measurements.

From the sound, I'm fairly certain that this is still a 2.9, My last pads from memory were slightly shallower though. Face contacting leather/pleather/synthetic leather was tensioned more and pulled tight to the foam `smooth`. The surface of this one seems to have the pad material pulled less tightly around the foam. Bass character is what I feel is particularly different. Lacking a slight bit of grunt in the midbass but subbass still intact. And as everyone here can attest to, shallow pads with Estats are your friends.

Also note: I'm driving this set with a temporary rig atm which is kinda shit for lack of a better word... Birgir's Transformer and a vintage speaker amp. And I'm sure that this could very well be the difference I'm hearing or quite simply it could be a compound of both.

• 2 weeks later...

While saving for the 700MK2 (i wish i knew people that bother with all this, i'd opt for used Staxes but.. whom from? Dare not risk it), i'm trying to see what i can do with my current pair, given their age.

I found a mention of SoCas, was wondering if anyone's bought anything from them?

They have these custom plates for dirt cheap, am thinking if i could fit those in mine, i could then use newer design earpads from Stax. Only problem is i don't know how much it affects the sound? Anyone ever tried this?

* /rhetorical, but Jeesus almighty, lol, who in the world wanted this.. i'd say go full sandwich next. Stax pad + round pad + second Stax pad for the ultimate sound eXXXperience.

whatever.jpg

There are quite a few issues with using the SoCas adapters to fit the modern stax pads on an old set. First and foremost these headphones are designed to have angled pads while the Lx00-series Have the driver itself angled.

If you want to use conventional pads on stax that is a VERY bad idea. The volume of the pads is significantly larger than what the driver is intended for and you'll end up with a boomy mess. I'd say you should just stick to the type of pads that are meant for your headphone, or at least close. Stax still sells the EP234 pads which is what you are looking for if your old pads are worn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It has been a few weeks since I have had time to sit down and listen to my system. 

Innuos mkii > YGGY > Mjolnir BHSE > 007 

Most of my listening has been in my car or BT buds at work. 

The difference is startling. 

Makes me think of the republic (if my memory is accurate) where Plato describes people viewing the world via shadows VS the actual objects. 

• Like 2