The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

That's probably the mesh stator but I have very little enthusiasm for this.  All of the Stax prices are now nuts so this is probably going to be 10k$ or more. 

10k$ or MOAR you mean...🤪

I must admit between this and the CRBN there seems to be interesting stuff happening from the more serious players in the business.

It's always great to have new sets to play with but the recent Stax sets have just been such a massive letdown.  The 009BK is the only one of the recent sets I've actually kept but that's more down to me needing to have a set of 009's rather than using them for fun.  The 009S is such a disappointment... 

Speaking of the CRBN... I'll be posting about that soon as I have them sitting on my head right now...  ;) Ohhh and teardown pictures as well. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, spritzer said:

It's always great to have new sets to play with but the recent Stax sets have just been such a massive letdown.  The 009BK is the only one of the recent sets I've actually kept but that's more down to me needing to have a set of 009's rather than using them for fun.  The 009S is such a disappointment... 

Speaking of the CRBN... I'll be posting about that soon as I have them sitting on my head right now...  ;) Ohhh and teardown pictures as well. 

Spritzer,

I recall that you were disappointed with the SR-009S bass response in comparison with the SR-007MkII, though you found the bright treble response to not be as objectionable as the SR-009.  Do I have this correct as your main concern?

Much appreciate your insights on this, thanks!

ORB

46 minutes ago, Orb said:

Spritzer,

I recall that you were disappointed with the SR-009S bass response in comparison with the SR-007MkII, though you found the bright treble response to not be as objectionable as the SR-009.  Do I have this correct as your main concern?

ORB

The hot treble was fixed but there is a massive hole in the bass response and I don't know how they could ship something like that. 

1 hour ago, Orb said:

Spritzer,

ORB

The later production 009 (around sz9-4xxx) should be similar to 009s and 009bk in terms of treble. Stax changed something there. Also slightly different earpads, headband, leather headpad(both side made from leather at some point).

On 11/14/2018 at 11:48 PM, spritzer said:

We could do a portable amp but there are some issues there such as the PSU, custom chassis perhaps and stuff like that.  I'm not really interested in portable amps as I find them a silly novelty for open phones that bleed as much as Stax do but we could do something for the Shure's.  The stock amps are pretty good but could be improved upon... 

sorry to raise this from so long ago, but did a portable amp for the Shure's ever happen?

On 9/10/2021 at 10:38 PM, spritzer said:

That's probably the mesh stator but I have very little enthusiasm for this.  All of the Stax prices are now nuts so this is probably going to be 10k$ or more. 

Won't be that expensive.

It is not another headphone priced at HE-1 or Shangri-La level.

Price will be revealed very soon anyway.

SR-X9000 (flagship model with new fixed electrode MLER-3) officially announced in Japan
- MSRP 693,000 yen
- Official release date 8th of October, 2021
- Mesh stators (used in SR-X Mk1 and SR-Omega), diaphragm area 20% larger than SR-009S
- Lighter aluminium housing with tilt guard mesh structure, 434g weight (excluding cable)
- Stainless steel arc assembly
- Detachable cable (2.5m and 1.5m length supplied)
- Paulownia storage box

https://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/202109/16/22761_2.htmls06.jpg
s08.jpg

Looks like a modernised SR-Omega, cheapest domestic price 623,700 yen here:

https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/shop/g/g200000060690/

US price 6200$

EU price 6850€

Edited by padam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 9/16/2021 at 4:37 AM, Hugo said:

The reviewer mentioned bass strength/realism. Result of the 20% larger drivers?

Yes, that's something that the SR-Omega has over the SR-009 as well, even shows up in measurements. A comparison against an SR-Omega is in order, probably in a few months' time when / if I'm given the chance 😉

Fujiya Avic video

[Full English translation amongst the comments]

Edited by padam
  • Like 3