The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

It seems I’m running out of luck. SR-X9000 was the best headphone I’ve listened to only for a couple of days. You better keep your Omega, Andy.

Today the Stax have a terrible unbalance. Left side is more than 12dB lower then right side. 

It was left side I opened, lifted inner stator and flipped as you see on picture a few posts above, removed plastic ring and easily lifted the diaphragm and gently held (didn't touched the membran) it in hand for a short while before I put it back. Could that be the reason or is just an unfortunate coincidence?

No worry though. It’s a calculated risk and mostly nothing bad happens.

If just had been something cheaper. 😭

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

I was pretty shocked to see these pics of a disassembled unit, takes some courage 😅 These are assembled in a dust free environment so I wouldn’t recommend disassembling these things like one takes an engine apart for cleaning. 

On to the sound, I found these lacking a bit of excitement when fed with T8000 amp and assumed they need oozes of power, like a carbon for starter. The mesh stator appears to drastically damp out the mid / highs (not to the point of having a blanket between the driver and the ear as sometimes seen in planar designs though 😵💫) relative to the 009, which will appeal to many.

Nothing bad should happen.  It could probably be the loosen wire connections.  You might want to try resolder all the soldered joints first.

Well, some small dust could also be a problem.  Check and clean the stators and the diaphragm could solve the problem too.

Edited by chinsettawong
  • Thanks 1

Well…  I’ve finished the work with the new headphone and it ended in a disaster.

I decided to resolder all solder points, so I took the driver package a part. Even removed the small cable connector.  After cleaning all solder points, I connect outer stator and put into its position. It was a bit tricky to arrange the short wire in the connector house. Next was the diaphragm and here I made the disastrous mistake and got a scratch on the membrane when I should solder its wire. I guess I’m getting to old and clumsy for this kind of delicate work. Nowadays I have to wear headband magnifier which also makes it more difficult. Anyhow, I finished the assembly and have one good side and one bad with a small defect on membrane.

After visual inspection with good light and magifier I don’t think the lower loudness had anything with dust or any foreign particles to do nor bad connections. So, I really should had waited for this…

54 minutes ago, spritzer said:

I agree, if this isn't a loose wire then somehow a charge got stuck on the diaphragm.  That should get back to normal over use so I'd just leave them sitting and playing music. 

Thanks a lot, Wachara and Birgir!

• Sad 8

We are getting older and clumsier. You are much more experienced than me so on my level I think the eye is the main problem the hand can do it only slower. You have to think every step twice and this is the hard part. When you ruin something that feels a catastrophe you  should leave it for a time then start again with clear head. I am sorry I have made similar mistakes most long time diy-er do.

13 hours ago, JoaMat said:

Well…  I’ve finished the work with the new headphone and it ended in a disaster.

I decided to resolder all solder points, so I took the driver package a part. Even removed the small cable connector.  After cleaning all solder points, I connect outer stator and put into its position. It was a bit tricky to arrange the short wire in the connector house. Next was the diaphragm and here I made the disastrous mistake and got a scratch on the membrane when I should solder its wire. I guess I’m getting to old and clumsy for this kind of delicate work. Nowadays I have to wear headband magnifier which also makes it more difficult. Anyhow, I finished the assembly and have one good side and one bad with a small defect on membrane.

After visual inspection with good light and magifier I don’t think the lower loudness had anything with dust or any foreign particles to do nor bad connections. So, I really should had waited for this…

Thanks a lot, Wachara and Birgir!

Don't buy a lottery ticket this month, Joachim. Is the membrane ripped, or is it only surface damage? If the latter, the driver may reform. And you can always send it back for repair, then you'll have a mint headphone again (even if the cost hurts).

Reminds me to be extra careful when I change cable on the 007, to be done when my Carbon is finished. Something to look forward to.

It’s a small rip, a couple of millimeters. I guess a return for repair is the only option. But the headphone is not completely useless. I use Roon and its signal processor, -12dB on good side and +6 dB on bad (damaged) side. Playing at low to normal level the headphone sounds really nice. I imagine the small wound will grow larger by time.

Changing the cable on 007 shouldn’t be a problem (knock on wood).

• Sad 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, JoaMat said:

This broke after a couple of years.

2020432359_BZ8A0383(2).thumb.JPG.8ded12970550dd8df38ff4b0be0dee21.JPG

But a piece of aluminum and 2 component epoxy fixed it and a cnc milled small PCB replaced another broken original part.

BZ8A0384 (2).JPG

my 009 broke in the same place

I purchased the 90.00 replacement kit. :(

And thank you for the pics. They are amazing. Hopefully can be fixed.

Edited by eggil

On 11/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, JoaMat said:

It seems I’m running out of luck. SR-X9000 was the best headphone I’ve listened to only for a couple of days. You better keep your Omega, Andy.

Today the Stax have a terrible unbalance. Left side is more than 12dB lower then right side. 

It was left side I opened, lifted inner stator and flipped as you see on picture a few posts above, removed plastic ring and easily lifted the diaphragm and gently held (didn't touched the membran) it in hand for a short while before I put it back. Could that be the reason or is just an unfortunate coincidence?

No worry though. It’s a calculated risk and mostly nothing bad happens.

If just had been something cheaper. 😭

Oof. Given the magnitude of the imbalance, you may have changed (increased) the stator spacing when reassembling the driver. Just try assembling it again, but this time with some gentle pressure on the stators.

A small wound should not induce such a large imbalance, nor will a little foreign matter.

Another possibility is that the diaphragm was installed the wrong way... I'm not sure why it matters, but it sometimes does.

Edited by Tachikoma
  • Like 3

While waiting for the replacement I today brought forward my home-built headphone which has been stoved away for a year or so. It sounds really good, even better than I remembered. Perhaps it ages as a good wine. Wonder what happens if I put it away in our wine cellar for a couple of more years?

470899200_BZ8A0413(2).thumb.jpg.95b82d71e3950419b391aa61ba00bf78.jpg                                              Original home-built                                                         Faulty Stax

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, JoaMat said:

While waiting for the replacement I today brought forward my home-built headphone which has been stoved away for a year or so. It sounds really good, even better than I remembered. Perhaps it ages as a good wine. Wonder what happens if I put it away in our wine cellar for a couple of more years?

470899200_BZ8A0413(2).thumb.jpg.95b82d71e3950419b391aa61ba00bf78.jpg                                              Original home-built                                                         Faulty Stax

A listen now and then might be advantageous. Aren't the bottles supposed to be turned every year or so? About to replace the cable of the 007 when I've got the Carbon together. Gamma will do service meanwhile. Thinking of moving the drivers to a SR-X MkIII, but don't know if it's worth the effort. On-ear not so comfortable.

If the Carbon fulfills expectations the headphone to the right behind may be the next step.

IMG_0746(1).jpg

Edited by mdr30

42 minutes ago, mdr30 said:

Thinking of moving the drivers to a SR-X MkIII, but don't know if it's worth the effort. On-ear not so comfortable.

Depends on your viewpoint on the SR-X MkIII. The SR-X Pro has a bit better bass extension, precision and detail, while the Gamma Pro has slightly more bass, slightly better treble extension and a more open, more musical (mid-focused, warm) sound. Close relatives with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, but both are among my current favourites.
These velour pads that came with the last set solved the comfort issue as well as boosting the bass slightly, I just don't know what they are...

spacer.pngspacer.png

3 hours ago, mdr30 said:

About to replace the cable of the 007 when I've got the Carbon together. 

When you solder the cable joints, make sure to cover the back side of the stators / dust covers with some paper to prevent any spatters from the solder / resin from melting through the dust covers.  I just cut some circles and used a touch of masking tape.

Just passing on some advise from our friendly Icelandic Stax guru :) 

Good luck!

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well my T8000 has one of its relays clicking somewhere inside the machine randomly, maybe once every two to three minutes, even lasts for some time after the machine has been turned off. It still drives the headphones all right but I am afraid of a potential safety hazard. Wondering what's going on after FedEx almost broke the machine with a smashed front corner.

t8000000.jpg

My x9000 arrived after almost three months. The way the two driver housings are connected to the headband using semi-arch metal are frustrating for one with a bigger head. The frame will rub against the earpads easily, producing creaking noise. The earpads have some horrible smell (plastic + glue) and I feel like living in STAX's factory wearing them.🤢

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas about something I have come across using my sr-007 mk2s running from a modified srm-717.

When I listen to some remastered CDs (in particular a Vangelis CD called Spiral) that seem to be recorded with a relatively low recording level I have no problems when using my Shure IEMS (SE846s and KSE1200s) - the recordings sounds fine, linear, normal and clear (albeit a bit quieter so I have to crank the volume up higher than other stuff).

However when I listen with the Stax set-up it sounds almost like it runs out of steam, the sound becomes “harder” and more glassy and frankly “harder to listen to” and I wonder what is causing this or if it makes sense to anyone.

Could the lower recording levels have anything to do with this? I can’t imagine that it should as the input volume into the amp is handled by my DAC and not the amplifier itself (as the volume pot is set on bypass) so the DAC already raised the input level to a similar level as more modern recordings. I am wondered if it makes sense to anyone here. 

Edited by Juansan2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 3:51 AM, Juansan2 said:

I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas about something I have come across using my sr-007 mk2s running from a modified srm-717.

When I listen to some remastered CDs (in particular a Vangelis CD called Spiral) that seem to be recorded with a relatively low recording level I have no problems when using my Shure IEMS (SE846s and KSE1200s) - the recordings sounds fine, linear, normal and clear (albeit a bit quieter so I have to crank the volume up higher than other stuff).

However when I listen with the Stax set-up it sounds almost like it runs out of steam, the sound becomes “harder” and more glassy and frankly “harder to listen to” and I wonder what is causing this or if it makes sense to anyone.

Could the lower recording levels have anything to do with this? I can’t imagine that it should as the input volume into the amp is handled by my DAC and not the amplifier itself (as the volume pot is set on bypass) so the DAC already raised the input level to a similar level as more modern recordings. I am wondered if it makes sense to anyone here. 

it seems very odd,do you mean that the sound of 007 is different after 717 modification? 

for all I know,only 727 negative feedback modification, never heard of 717's(CCS mod?),717 is pretty a kgss and should be no problem driving 007. 

Providing headphone frequency response or some amplifier tests should make it easy to find the cause of the problem.😶

Edited by Kung