The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The noise varies with the left volume knob and now the left channel is much quieter than the right.  Any way to clear dust without taking it apart and voiding the warranty? It's really disappointing to think they could fault like this so quickly.

Edit: I found a fix somewhere to discharge at the plug and then smack the quiet side.  Tried that and it didn't work unless I'm not discharging it enough. I'm not sure it's the diaphragm getting stuck to the stator because the imbalance started today as soon as I turned the amp on. The buzzing started after I almost knocked the stand over while picking them up.

If the noise changes with the volume knob and appears when you turn on the source (not when you turn on the amp with no input signal), it sounds like your amp’s left channel has a problem and not your headphone. I would stop messing with the new phones and try a different pair of phones on the same amp and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, simmconn said:

If the noise changes with the volume knob and appears when you turn on the source (not when you turn on the amp with no input signal), it sounds like your amp’s left channel has a problem and not your headphone. I would stop messing with the new phones and try a different pair of phones on the same amp and see what happens.

I have the same issue with my 95X on this amp. Could swapping to RCA inputs from balanced fix the issue? My understanding is the balanced input is balanced all the way to the output but I don't understand circuit topology very well.

You won’t be able to swap the channel mapping between the amp and the phone, due to the fixed pin out in the phone cable connector. Since both phones have the same problem with the amp, it’s the amp that’s the culprit. It’s unlikely that the problem can be fixed by feeding single-ended input (RCA). I would get the amp serviced.

51 minutes ago, simmconn said:

You won’t be able to swap the channel mapping between the amp and the phone, due to the fixed pin out in the phone cable connector. Since both phones have the same problem with the amp, it’s the amp that’s the culprit. It’s unlikely that the problem can be fixed by feeding single-ended input (RCA). I would get the amp serviced.

I assumed it was the headphones because the issue wasn't immediate. The Stax were fine when I got them Monday, the next day I heard the noise, today they got the imbalance.

@spritzer

Any thoughts? If I remember correctly the update to the SRM 006t I bought from you was the CCS mod.

Any noise which changes with the volume control points to a source issue as the volume control is at the front of the circuit.  The noise is being amplified and attenuated with the volume control.  Could also be a ground issue as that would tie into the volume control as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Officially eliminated the headphones and the amp as the issue. 

I used another DAC/amp to test and the static and imbalance went away taking out my Audio GD D27's balanced output.  Through the analog outs the left channel still seems slightly quiet but it's not nearly as bad.  That's better news than my SR-007 failing after a couple days but I never thought an AGD product would fail me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pars said:

Yeah, ASR pimps topping hard. I think Amir has a relationship with them. I won't bother reading... I wonder if he measured it correctly given past estat amp history?

The rabid disdain for Audio-GD products over there has me questioning the veracity of any of their opinions. Measurements are useful for verifying manufacturer claims, but this is ultimately a hobby about listening to music. 

17 hours ago, greenpips said:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-estats-amp-eha5-details-updated.39190/

Interesting stuff

I sure hope this Topping EHA5 transformer box turns out to be reliable and good-sounding, not causing harm to 'stats, etc.  The masses need a 'stat transformer box that is readily available from a "big" company.  BTW.  Why the heck did Stax stop making tranformer boxes anyway?

Yeah it has SE and balanced inputs and a volume control.  Could be a simple chip amp feeding some transformers which is very popular in China now. 

As for why Stax stopped making transformer boxes, it doesn't make any sense to do so these days. 

Apologies for pushing the chat in a separate direction, I'm getting really into Vintage E-Stats these days, hoping to pick up a Lambda Classic and I just ordered a 307 and I want to pad roll it 

@spritzerrecommended the 507 genuine leather pads so I'm looking into tho, but has any one else tried anything from Vesper Audio? I really enjoy the pair I got for my 95X [another great recommendation from well Spritzer again] and seeing how labor-intensive the swap might be it seems it might be worthwhile for me to explore all options while I wait for the 307s to ship 

Why do you need to pad roll if you haven't even received it?
I think 'driver roll' would be better, e.g. finding your favourite Lambda, and then maybe try the 507 pads (only to realise that the factory tuning was there for a reason, and you end up with a different sound, that's ultimately not better).
With the Koss the build quality is let's say different, so I am not surprised that it can sound a bit better with other pads.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:47 AM, udurbalanced said:

Officially eliminated the headphones and the amp as the issue. 

I used another DAC/amp to test and the static and imbalance went away taking out my Audio GD D27's balanced output. 

Update:

The left and right channel measured the same on the AGD, and when I swap the XLR the noise doesn't follow. I switched the AGD to DAC only to bypass its volume control and the noise and imbalance remain the same and it still responds to the volume knob. In DAC mode there's also clipping. I'm pretty sure it's the estat amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone remind me what the difference between the all-black 007MK2 and the 007A are- build-wise or sonically? I remember reading that some of the parts aren't swappable but I'm not really sure what there could be that would be incompatible. 

Is there an S/N range that guarantees you're getting a specific revision of the headphones?

They are identical in every way, just the color of the housing and the embossed logo in the headband differentiate them. 

Stax serial numbers are a complete bust, you can have a very early set with almost the same serial number as nearly new one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Topping EHA-5 was released today and I've naturally bought one.  I don't have high hopes for this though as of yet, no good electrostatic amp has come out of China - just different shades mediocrity.  We are currently taking bets as to what's inside, I think it is either a Koss clone or a speaker amp driving a pair of transformers.  That or the SRM-001 circuit (yeah the portable one) is about as it good as it gets from China. 

Speaking of China fucking things up, I've been trying to source some Stax parts recently and everybody has the same story, Edifer has fully taken over Stax and fucked it into the dirt.  Maybe they are just trying to get rid of the old distributors to do it themselves but yeah, nobody is happy with the way Stax is run now.  I fear we may be heading into a very dark time indeed, similar to what happened to Quad back in the day. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5