The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

"slight defect where the cable was pulled out" LOL.

Hahaha, whoever owns those is going to take Team Fuglyphone to the next level. I, for one, welcome our new Fuglyphone overlord. Of course, one small yank on the cable could end up destroying the driver beyond repair so the strain relief must be fixed in some way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-007MK2-HEADPHONE-STAX-SRM-727II-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-OMEGA-SYSTEM-/271332999049?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f2cb4ff89&nma=true&si=9XU9TFTtAorJFVQ6BWl4iFBx40k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

must have been bought from Yamas, based in serial # it was very recent.

the depreciation....wow. Not sure how much is depreciation, and how much is just ZERO demand in the U.S. for many reasons.

Justin can the BHSE have normal bias output added during production or is it strictly 2 pro-bias outputs due to the circuit design? Also if I place an order now what's the ETA and waiting period if you're still accepting orders? (230v location)

Anyways with the helpful suggestion from wachara, re-coated the membrane of my SR-3N which upon receiving it had pretty much near 0% sound output even if the dial's were on 100% maxed. Now shes rocking but the normal bias connector is completely fucked, exposed wires and all and broken bias connection, need some way of fixing it.

Moving onto the sound, little less mids than my SR-5 which is a tad bit more foward sounding, the 3N is little laid back, slightly less in detail but still above most dynamics and planars out there, little less bass than the SR-5 but little more heft to the lows than my SR-3. Soundstage is bit more concentrated at the front position around the head rather than a nice circumaural staging in the center like my SR-5's. Wachara did mention that depending on the material I'am recoating the diaphragm the sound may be tad bit different to a non touched stock SR-3N, so maybe I should hunt down a stock working SR-3N and compare the differences then. 

Edited by DefQon

Yeh I need one with normal bias but I'll ask them if all sold out. Is there any optional customisation to the BHSE such as different anodized faceplate colour and the alu-rings for the EL34's? I recall seeing a blue faceplate/alu ring hawaii on the other site. I would mind a blue or purple one.

What's the waiting period on a new fresh order?

Edited by DefQon

Seems like a pretty good price just to snag the amplifier and black frame  :laugh: putting the mk1 drivers in that would look fairly hideous though.

But according to ebay, that price implies that the amplifier is essentially free, what a crime

Mk1 drivers won't fit in mk2 frames, at least not properly...  :)  They look identical but the Mk2 units are just slightly smaller. 

It is rather odd that the 007Mk2 gets no respect when the 009's voicing is so similar. 

Yeh I need one with normal bias but I'll ask them if all sold out. Is there any optional customisation to the BHSE such as different anodized faceplate colour and the alu-rings for the EL34's? I recall seeing a blue faceplate/alu ring hawaii on the other site. I would mind a blue or purple one.

What's the waiting period on a new fresh order?

they haven't shipped to them yet so it could still be possible. the issue with normal bias is it means i have to use one of my teflon jacks. only some of the panels were made to fit those jacks, and since all of them have already been anodized, it would be whatever color i have now that accepts those jacks. and i dont think that's a blue or purple one. i made most of them silver or gray where the white teflon wouldn't contrast as much. a completely new order -- which would still have to go through Addicted 2 Audio as we have that agreement -- would be at least 6 months

Mk1 drivers won't fit in mk2 frames, at least not properly...  :)  They look identical but the Mk2 units are just slightly smaller. 

It is rather odd that the 007Mk2 gets no respect when the 009's voicing is so similar. 

So the treble runs hot? Maybe someone will be willing to trade me so I have something at work for low-level listening.

Also black

they haven't shipped to them yet so it could still be possible. the issue with normal bias is it means i have to use one of my teflon jacks. only some of the panels were made to fit those jacks, and since all of them have already been anodized, it would be whatever color i have now that accepts those jacks. and i dont think that's a blue or purple one. i made most of them silver or gray where the white teflon wouldn't contrast as much. a completely new order -- which would still have to go through Addicted 2 Audio as we have that agreement -- would be at least 6 months

Thanks for that, but holy shit at the price A2A has it for.  :-

isnt it just a few hundred more than my price, which wouldnt include shipping?

Well A2A has it for 7.5k and the RK50 is almost 9k, although avoiding shipping and postage together I'm only a 20 minute drive away or can call up George and inquire about it. Isn't the BHSE 5.5k and 6.3k with RK50?

Edited by DefQon

Mk1 drivers won't fit in mk2 frames, at least not properly... :) They look identical but the Mk2 units are just slightly smaller.

So would you consider the Mk2 something like a Frankenstein of the Mk1 and the 009? Not necessarily in a "best of both worlds" sense, but as in some sort of mash-up between the two

AUD, which given how weak the current Australia to US currency is trading at, similar in final cost after currency exchange if I bought direct from Headamp?

Anyway, my SR-3N developed channel imbalance, re-coating the weak channel didn't help much. Pulled the drivers apart and the diaphragm was held down tight to the plastic housing inside which I thought was glued down, well it wasn't underneath there is a big spring which puts tension on the diaphragm (nifty idea Stax), re-coated the otherside of both drivers, little change to my impressions now, sound is forward and about same level as my SR-5 and SR-3 db for db on the volume dial, prior to the double re-coat as I mentioned it sounded little more laid back. 

These things are quite fun to play around with and just for kicks re-coated glad wrap and tensed it across two O rings of the same size as the 45mm diameter surface area of the SR-3N drivers, it produces sound too though bit sluggish. 

Edited by DefQon