The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Any suggestions for how to adjust the headband of of a SR-404LE so that it will hang just a bit higher on my ear? At it's most compressed level, the SR-404LE's I recently bought fit decent but always feel like they are just a tad low on my ear and so I'm always wanting to push them up a bit or otherwise try and further tighten the fit/hang. There's simply no more room to adjust them any tighter/shorter.

I've thought about using some sort of non-permanent/non adhering foam under the leather headband to bring them a bit further up on my ear but still not sure how that might work.

Edited by s1rrah

Yes, it might not be the most elegant solution but it works fine. I used a similar method on the Qualia which has its headband on an almost fully fixed position and I use the Lambda on the lowest setting as well.

If the padding material is 'black enough', it might not even be noticeable visually.

Edited by padam

Thanks guys,

how do I tell difference between Mk2 and 2.5. Another question, any reason not to purchase these from say Pricejapan. Or for that matter an import. I know

re warranty but these should be good out of the box.

Local prices for a 007 Mk2 are ridiculously high here in NZ.

Les

I was looking for a simple straight forward answer just to wet my appetite. Re the T2 don't worry ive had more hot dinners

and dealt with electronics more than you've seen if your age listed in your profile is correct.

So if someone else could give me some input also it would be appreciated.

Les

I'm reivisting the imbalance issue in one of my pairs of mk1s, I can momentarily restore the levels if I press the earcup against my head while it's playing. Does that imply some kind of leak/pressure in/on the dust cover? Do I need to fiddle around with that junk?

re: the post above, I didn't know what good treble sounded like until I listened to the 007s. might be interested in some cheaper stax alternatives though, like the $1k sigma pro that popped up on audiogon.

That's odd behavior but don't mess with the dust covers.  Damage them and the drivers are totaled...  The most plausible explanation would be the charge leaking to the stators which stops when you force the parts.  Could also be a cable issue or the contacts inside the earcups. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that my repeated pressing of the earpads seems to have fixed the balance issues for the time being. If they start acting up again I'll probably take a stab at cleaning the area around the driver but for the moment I'm quite pleased. 

I'm also getting a lot of mileage out of my Adcom and SRM-323S at the office, perfectly fine for low-level listening. Also appropriate for shorter periods of time when it's late and I can crank up the volume.

I don't think I'm as bad as other forum-goers but to each his own. Who needs a new car anyway? I will gripe a bit about how I bought the spectral and all the music I've been downloading lately has been 24/96

I also don't think I'm necessarily in the minority if AKG had to slap a filter onto the headphones to flatten out the response.

Heh, a man wants what a man wants, I'm with you on that. The idea is that they added the filter in so that it wouldn't sound strident. :) Of course you can bring up phase issues and impedance curves and all that. Yes, I have read reports of people removing it and claiming it sounds better but I'm also sure it's hogwash. There are simply compromises to be had in any approach, and AKG chose to go way out there with pretty much minimal open baffle so no impedance coupling or enclosure frequency tuning, some back wave cancellation, etc. Possibly the frequencies the notch filter is used on are the free air resonance of the driver. Personally I thought the treble with filter was fairly linear with a very slight euphonic rolloff. Another thing to consider is your serial number, mine was around 7000 so I was never sure if it was the bass heavy or bass light version. It sounded bass normal to me, other than the severe drop-off under 45Hz.

I think many of us here tend to spend too much on this hobby, especially as we only have 1 set of ears ^-^ 

I have both the supposed bass heavy and normal K1000's and there is no getting away from it they can be bright. I think they are just as difficult to get right as the Sen 800's  

Wow you spend a lot on audio gear... btw since you like the SR007 treble I can see why the K1000 sounds strident to you