The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The highs were never the problem with the 007Mk2.5, it was the midrange.  :)

The M22 is a class A amp and heats up a fair bit as it warms up, so if it has nothing to do with the caps, then its most likely a resistor somewhere that's drifting I suppose. Just about everything else (transistors too) was replaced.

Replacing transistors and not the resistors is not a good idea.  This was built in the 70's so still 5% carbon comp resistors which will drift. 

my favorite thing about burn in is it ALWAYS makes things better.  Never once does anyone report that X is good for 1000 hours, then turns to shit.

Ain't that the truth. You would expect 50% of the cases to turn worse...

my favorite thing about burn in is it ALWAYS makes things better.  Never once does anyone report that X is good for 1000 hours, then turns to shit.

Oh, I've experienced that several times with caps and tubes in the same circuit, though not as many as the burn-in improving things.

KGSShv with Sanyo parts vs Ixys. It has been a heated topic on head-fi. Don't think is worth it.

He's asking about classic KGSS (no ccs for the third stage and +/-350V rails) vs. KGSSHV with 2SA1968. 

Speaking of that, do we officially now have a 007Mk3? 8)

I'm not ready to call it just yet but it sure looks like it. 

Ain't that the truth. You would expect 50% of the cases to turn worse...

I've seen the counter argument being that the designer factored this into the component so only used parts that would get better with use.  :palm:

Good point...  ;D

As for the new 007, now that the last BHSE in fully operational condition has been packed up I had to revert to the KGST.  It's not quite as bass crazy as the BHSE so here the effect of the port is minimized.  I have to hand it to Stax how well the port works on this set.  It did take them some 8 years to get this working but still, it does what it is supposed to do with minimal side effects.  Still no way I'll leave them like this...  :) 

OMG now I really want a 007 to complement my 009... Please keep us posted on what you think. Did you get yours form PJ?

Mine came from New Zealand so a proper Mk2 and not an "A". 

Yes that's it. 

Some good news about the SR007 if they fixed the midrange. The treble aren't smooth as the MK1 ?

I've done that comparison countless times.  The HV is more linear, more neutral and clear while the older KGSS is warmer and not as defined.  Can't go wrong with either one but the HV is the superior amp. 

The treble is smooth but there is more of it so they can slide into brightness a bit faster/easier than the Mk1.  This is nowhere near the 009 let alone the horror of the old 009's.  It's a bit like the old SZ2 units, when modified they had a touch more treble than the Mk1's. 

I'm keeping them stock for now and just enjoying them.  They are silly good off the KGST, rocking the new mix of Thick as a Brick... 

Hi Guys,

My cats knocked my SRX Mk3's to the floor. Unfortunately 4 of the six high voltage connector pins sheared off. What is best way for me to repair them.

Thanks

It must be one strong cat. Best way to repair it is a donor cable or new connector. 6 pin normal bias cables are no longer stocked by Stax or its distributors.

Thick as a Brick aye? I know that fit's in line with the vast amount posters in the Stax thread on head-fi.  ;D

So true, the few times I bother to read it these days it just makes my head hurt.  So much ignorance and stupidity... 

Well, it cannot be officially a Mk3 really. Who knows what Stax might do next?

So maybe a 007 Mk2.7 just to be safe? 

Fuck that, this is the Mk3.  ;D

May I ask where you bought it? Was it from a commercial seller?

I got them in a trade. 

On the site of Innerfidelity I came across this information of the SR-007. If this information is correct than it means Spritzer has a "Mk2.5".

SR-007 Mk1 early version - different driver frame plus some minor material changes, older style carbon fiber box.

SR-007 Mk1 late version - the version tested here and the most common of the Mk1's, S/N either 7xxxx or SZ1-xxxx

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ2-xxxx, Stax change the earpads, how they sit and introduce a port to the earcups. Sound is a mixed bag depending on fit but can be fixed to sound pretty much like the Mk1.

SR-007A/SR-007Mk2 - S/N SZ3-xxxx, often called the Mk2.5, Stax supposedly change the diaphragm which results in a much more forward sound signature.

So true, the few times I bother to read it these days it just makes my head hurt.  So much ignorance and stupidity... 

Fuck that, this is the Mk3.  ;D

I got them in a trade. 

That's why you need to show them the path to Stax enlightenment again.  Of course I'm onboard with everything you have to say beside the SR009 issues.  :)