The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

36 minutes ago, johnwmclean said:

Where’s the best place to buy 009 replacement pads?

I have a feeling I’m this is going to hurt.... a lot.

A couple of years ago I did a detailed search, and only found STAX USA would respond.  

Suggest you get with your Australian Distributor. Don't believe they are a commonly stocked item, so most dealers won't have them.

Expensive. $350 from Yamas at the time. I'm sure he was gouging me as I bought my SR-009s from PJ, and he checked the serial number. 

Edited by Laowei

I just discovered that this exists: https://www.staxaudio.com/

Must be the new US distributor? Maybe @justin knows more?

009 pads listed for $150. No clue if shipping to Australia is possible from this seller, or how much it would cost. Prices for other products significantly lower than the defunct staxusa.com.

Edited by gepardcv

STAX SR-009

The SR-009 is the product of repeated research trip to techology and material search without deviating from our stance to return to live sound and music always with refined sensitivity.

looks like it says its woo audio on the about page.

7 hours ago, spritzer said:

Can't use 007 pads but it would probably be cheaper to just have some pads made than fork over 350$ for them... 

Going to try that for my next pair. Have the first pair of pads to take apart the leather and use as templates. The foam will be more of a challenge to reproduce. 

So after four months of ownership my 009's have developed a low level buzz and an intermittent low level whine in the right diaphragm, stays at the same level regardless of volume setting on the KGSS Carbon. When I switch off the amp it continues for a minute or so before stopping. Any ideas of a cure or is back to Stax with them?

If they are covered by warranty then take them back to Stax.  If they are not covered and you don't want to spend 100KYen on new drivers, you can open them up and try to get the dust out of there.  Be warned though that you can't see the dust particle causing this as it is minuscule.  The space between the diaphragm and the stators is 0.5mm (500um) on either side so the piece is much smaller than that. 

• Like 1

Yes and no.  There are solid dust covers on both sides of the drivers ever since the SR-Omega in 1993 (only on the front before that) so the drivers should be sealed but...the plastic is thin and tears easily so stuff can get in.  Also something could be in there from when they were assembled as even though they have a clean room, shit happens. 

Phones such as the old HE Audio stuff, King Sound, Sennheiser HE60 and HE90 all have porous dust covers so crap will get in there over time. 

• Like 1

About clean room. My sr007 had developed an imbalance and when I inspected the drivers I found grey hair under the dustcovers. Not only one piece, was it human hair or from the brush of the Stax technician I do not know. The headphones came from PJ but Stax repaired them after some effort they had replaced both driver. I am not sure either the hair was the cause of the imbalance.  I have the picture of a piece of hair somewhere.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...