Jump to content
thrice

The Headcase Stax thread

Recommended Posts

On 2/11/2018 at 10:02 AM, DefQon said:

I like the design, driver housing and gimble slider with cup rods similar to the old angled Audeze LCD-2/3 headphones. I bet they are heavy. I know Spritzer is the only here who owns a pair.

I own a pilot prototype Libratum 2 that has been upgraded with v3 driver and new pads by Dima in the end of last year. Yes, they are kind of heavy, similar to the 009. The design is nice in the way that one can set the pressure of the headbands, but I don't like the esthetic of the headband design and the housing design (with the protruding screw heads). Also, the sliders are not very smooth to move. However, configurability is way better than any other headphone housing.

They measure almost exactly like the Stax 009 except in the high mids and treble where the Libratum is more linear and smoother, slightly creamier but not slower. The sound of v3 is more dynamic and more fluid than the 009,  about similar transparency and speed, no treble issues, about 6 dB lower sensitivity. The 009 is much higher execution quality, but my sample is basically a prototype in titanium like the one in the picture.

The stock pads are of very high quality and comfortable but were not the optimal sounding ones. I modded a new pair of Stax 009 pads for them and it made a qualitative jump in realism and effortless dynamics. Driver stability is good so far (only 3 months though for v3). So far highly recommended.

The Canorum 3 has similar sound character as the Libratum 3, with small differences, but harder to mod the pads.

I liked both Phenomenon headphones more than the Perun, but the Perun held its ground well - they have a rather protruded midrange in a good sense, like old Sennheisers (but sound much better). I think many people will like them, I am not really among them, as I am sensitive to accentuated mids. I would choose nearly any non-bright Stax over them. BTW this (at lesser extent, paired with less bass) was the problem with the Libratum v2 driver + pads that Spritzer owned as well.

If I understand right, new Phenomenon diaphragms are under development, plus some of the pilot feedback might be implemented as well, so Phenomenon will likely get even better with time. I am very much pleased how this exercise went so far.

On the subjective part, I am prepared to be stoned, but I still say the Libratum 3 with the modded 009 pads are best transducers I have heard so far (including all major Stax models, and the old and new Orpheus). That's always a good experience :). They are also the only headphones that effortlessly beat my modded TH900 in the bass impact and depth department, without being overblown in the slightest way. Who thought that was possible. They are on a whole different level of resolving/playing music, bass included. Cello and saxophone are just more real and rich, wind instruments sound more natural, piano attack, sustain and decay have a lot of details, like one would slow down time during the playback and discover fluid texture details other headphones usually mask because they sound coarse. Even watching movies have a new dimension nowadays, since this level of dynamic resolution and bass transparency paired with effortless fluidity is simply not there in the movie theaters (this also applies to the 009+BHSE btw). Somehow even realistic rumble, rattle, after-waves and fine ripples of explosions come through, although not as physical but deeper and far more discerned than in theaters and that creates an effect like the sound just heard was more real and physical than it should be given the physical limitations of a headphone. This is an area the Libratum 3 bests even the Stax 009. Of course they still don't approach the sound of real instruments heard in a real concert hall, but nothing can.

Longer term impressions might come later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with these newcomer headphones is that they are always the "best" thing... until the next "version" comes along, where that one suddenly becomes so much better than the last one. Just look at how much time it took to progress from the LCD-2 (which was still not the first one from Audeze) to the LCD-4. It was about 6 years I think, and even with the latter there are still sample variations involved.

So where does this stop?

And I would like to add that our mind is very "clever" in that it can adjust relatively well to any "not-completely-crap" sound signature, so in the long-term there is always a better chance of becoming the "best" as opposed to just auditioning something else. So maybe the real question about the "best" is: "is there actually such a thing" and maybe the "current personal favourite" is a much better description.

Edited by padam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 8:30 AM, padam said:

And I would like to add that our mind is very "clever" in that it can adjust relatively well to any "not-completely-crap" sound signature, so in the long-term there is always a better chance of becoming the "best" as opposed to just auditioning something else. So maybe the real question about the "best" is: "is there actually such a thing" and maybe the "current personal favourite" is a much better description.

My mind is definitely really good at that.  Well said.

And “flavor of the month” is the expression we use around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electret drivers are back. Brilliant idea. Are they coming with a velvet cloth to recharge the drivers? :palm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HemiSam said:

It takes a special kind of audiophile to find some crap on Alibaba and rebadge it...  inu2it or what ever they are really called. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Last time i did sell Stax Omega1 for close to 10K,now i have a mint Canorum V3 for sell ,asking price is 12K , Paypal fees and shipping is included.Just drop PM if you are interested.

I have good 100% score on Ebay.This is definitely the better phone than the Stax Lambda wich was crushed inside HE-90 casing and wich Spritzer sold for 6K.

I never sold my HE90's...  ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spritzer said:

It takes a special kind of audiophile to find some crap on Alibaba and rebadge it...  inu2it or what ever they are really called. 

I never sold my HE90's...  ;) 

Definitely not HE-90 but i mean the HE-90 with the Lambda driver inside wich you sold for 6K ,bad memory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.2.2018 at 3:30 PM, padam said:

The problem with these newcomer headphones is that they are always the "best" thing... until the next "version" comes along, where that one suddenly becomes so much better than the last one. Just look at how much time it took to progress from the LCD-2 (which was still not the first one from Audeze) to the LCD-4. It was about 6 years I think, and even with the latter there are still sample variations involved.

So where does this stop?

And I would like to add that our mind is very "clever" in that it can adjust relatively well to any "not-completely-crap" sound signature, so in the long-term there is always a better chance of becoming the "best" as opposed to just auditioning something else. So maybe the real question about the "best" is: "is there actually such a thing" and maybe the "current personal favourite" is a much better description.

Good answer ,i had the opportunity to hear LCD-2-LCD-4 in row at the Munich High-End show,still liking most the first torture device LCD-2 with the cracking wood and drivers.Nothing against Audeze guys but if you can collect money for progress wich goes backwards,just hats off .Fang takes everything to another level,he is asking 50K for something wich is not above Lambda level.My offer for Canorum it's quite cheap only 12K and it's above "not-completely-crap" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rico said:

Definitely not HE-90 but i mean the HE-90 with the Lambda driver inside wich you sold for 6K ,bad memory?

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rico said:

Last time i did sell Stax Omega1 for close to 10K,now i have a mint Canorum V3 for sell ,asking price is 12K , Paypal fees and shipping is included.Just drop PM if you are interested.

I have good 100% score on Ebay.This is definitely the better phone than the Stax Lambda wich was crushed inside HE-90 casing and wich Spritzer sold for 6K.

So, how much did the Canorum V3 cost you, and, if they're so good, why are you selling them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno. According to the XE currency converter website, 12k rubles = $211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps, the 12K is in Tanzanian Shillings which would reflect the sale rather more properly than dollars or roubles....;)

Edited by wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Massdrop it's only US$199 down from US$299 or 12,975.97 Rupees. 4,007.96 Argentine Pesos, and, 20,057.50 Icelandic Krona.......  Bargain..:)

,

Seeing we can get a monopo;y game in Australia for AU$25, which is circa US$20,

And, seeing there is $20,580 in Monopoly money in each game, and you can purchase 10 Monopoly games for US200...

That means the headphones are $205,800 dollars in Monopoly money.....  :rolleyes:

Edited by wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US$199 equals ZAR 2,369.74..   be happy...  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×