Yet more TV advice sought

jp11801

I currently have a 37 inch viewsonic LCD tv that to my eye kinda sucks it was bought about 2.5 years ago and from memory was about $800. My sole use for the tv is as a monitor for my mac mini. My mini video use primarily is as a dvd player and netflix video streamer.

I am thinking about upgrading to a better set as the picture from the viewsonic is mediocre but I want to keep it under $1000, preferably in the $600 range. Im thinking about a 42 or 46 inch model. Since it wont be used for sports or high res cable/blueray is 720p enough. Viewing distance is about 9-10 feet away.

The viewing room is low light so plasma would be an option, any recomendations from those in the know?

Is that good or bad? I've liked the Sharp Aquos that I've seen, but admittedly, that was a couple (2-ish) years ago at this point.

I've never really liked most CCFL backlit LCDs in low-light conditions.

Last I checked, Panasonic had some plasmas in the sub $1000 range. There are many lines with varying feature sets that scale pretty quickly, but you should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Yeah, my recommendation would be for whatever the current entry-level Panasonic plasma is. Given the type of usage and the size/distance involved here, there's really little benefit as you move up Panny's plasma line.

I've never really liked most CCFL backlit LCDs in low-light conditions.

Yeah, my recommendation would be for whatever the current entry-level Panasonic plasma is. Given the type of usage and the size/distance involved here, there's really little benefit as you move up Panny's plasma line.

I agree with the panasonic plasma displays, I have a 42inch older 720p that upscales to 1080I in my bedroom,You can get closeouts of earliar models under $ 600 for a 42inch under $700 for a 50 inch

My plasma is 720p, looks great, and I haven't bothered with Blu Ray so it doesn't much matter. Thing is that I bought it years ago and I just wouldn't buy an outdated item when given the choice. I can't imagine the 1080p options are that much different in price because most new sets have it.

Panny is still known for having the best blacks in plasma, right? I agree with Dan that store calibration is generally all fucked up, so I wouldn't put too much stock in how a particular panel looks at Target.

OK, I don't know much about TVs, but why does everybody only talk about resolution vs distance? If you're sitting far enough, shouldn't all performance parameters be less noticeable? Contrast, speed, color.... maybe not black levels. In that case, shouldn't the main concerns turn to cost and reliability, as opposed to image quality issues?

OK, I don't know much about TVs, but why does everybody only talk about resolution vs distance? If you're sitting far enough, shouldn't all performance parameters be less noticeable? Contrast, speed, color.... maybe not black levels. In that case, shouldn't the main concerns turn to cost and reliability, as opposed to image quality issues?

...and how good of a space heater they will make.

Because resolution is the one factor that is strongly affected by distance, too close and you get the screen door effect, too far and you lose the ability to distinguish a certain level of detail. Color, contrast ratio, etc stay the same, and for me it's actually easier to get a feel for the overall performance at a greater distance, because I can see more of the display at one time.

I am thinking about upgrading to a better set as the picture from the viewsonic is mediocre but I want to keep it under $1000, preferably in the $600 range. Im thinking about a 42 or 46 inch model. Since it wont be used for sports or high res cable/blueray is 720p enough. Viewing distance is about 9-10 feet away.

The viewing room is low light so plasma would be an option, any recomendations from those in the know?

In my opinion and experience, Plasma beats LCD hands down in terms of colour, even the new LED TVs (which may have a wider colour gamut, but since all TV is sRGB there's little point to having that wide gamut). I recently did some research/shopping for a new HDTV during the Boxing Day sales we have in Canada, and had narrowed my choice down to Panasonic S-series, due to the 1080p resolution (I was looking at a 50") and the anti-glare filter (helps with reflections but still not as good as LCD). Samsung was also on the list but a number of comments about "buzzing" emanating from the particular 50" model I was eyeing (550 series) gave me pause.

Mind you, when the sale prices actually came out I decided the price wasn't right, so I don't actually own anything beyond my 32" 3-year old LCD, and my comments above and below come only from looking at the TV's online and in stores for a week prior to Boxing Day (our equivalent of Black Friday). Please take them with a grain of salt!

Consider also the Panasonic X series - it's one up from the entry-level (C series) and adds an anti-glare coating to the screen. I noticed a significant improvement from casual observations at the Best Buy (with their harsh overhead lamps). Both are 720p, which I think is enough for your viewing distance/TV size.

I wouldn't worry about going beyond 720p in your situation. As to which to get, don't trust the displays in stores, they're NEVER set up right.

I found this useful:

1080p charted: Viewing distance to screen size -- Engadget HD

Also, not only would I not trust the displays in the stores, but I would urge colour calibration after you buy the TV - it makes a difference (I say this from personal experience using my Spyder 3). The displays at one store I went to were all showing the same feed - while it was HD it was analog and horribly crappy due to signal degradation.