HDTV Suggestions

tkam

Try to find a Samsung LN-46a950 or Sony 46-XBR8... will take some shopping around at local stores to find either still but both are fantastic sets that will compete with anything out now... they are just not as slim as the 8500 or the new xbr10. Both should be able to be had for $1,500-$2k. The Sony being a tri-luminous LED backlit. Both are fanstastic. The LED edge lit garbage like the Samsung 6000,7000, and 8000 have the same flaws as CCFL with flash lighting and washout with the added bonus of horrible audio if you plan to use the built in speakers.

Can you see a difference between the LED versions and regular LCDs?
If you showed me one and asked me which it was, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you, but from what I could tell in a decent in-store audition was, it was just a little less harsh to my eyes. Could probably have been placebo as well. Plasma > LED > LCD, I think. Hard to say without a rather large budget and being able to audition all three for weeks in-home. I envy those people.

I say go with that plasma. I think Hirsch got his (and I want to say it was a G15 and that the alternative was a G10, but he can pipe in here if he likes) from one of the cheaper online shops (somethingth street?), and he is extremely satisfied with his purchase.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...

So, I have a few questions. I've pretty much decided on the Samsung 46" LED 120 Hz models, but haven't nailed down the exact revision yet. Any recommendation on these?

My second question, is I have a ~50" wide by 2' or so deep alcove that I want to place the TV. Other than restricted viewing angle, which wouldn't be a huge issue, any cons for recessing the TV back into the niche? I would think this would be a benefit in terms of limiting the amount of light that can hit the glass and cause glare and what not.

So, I have a few questions. I've pretty much decided on the Samsung 46" LED 120 Hz models, but haven't nailed down the exact revision yet. Any recommendation on these?

My second question, is I have a ~50" wide by 2' or so deep alcove that I want to place the TV. Other than restricted viewing angle, which wouldn't be a huge issue, any cons for recessing the TV back into the niche? I would think this would be a benefit in terms of limiting the amount of light that can hit the glass and cause glare and what not.

I have an older Sharp LCD TV that I've had in such an alcove. I haven't noticed any issues with it. Of course, I drink a lot too. ;)

The only thing that I'd question is whether or not the man'f has recommended clearances to provide adequate airflow.

I bought the LN46B650 about a month ago and really enjoy it. The 650 has the multimedia capabilities for DLNA and USB media playback which are my favorite features of the TV. With the rosewill dual bay enclosure, it recognizes both 1.5Tb drives and plays back most media (sadly, not FLAC). I have ripped most of my blu-ray and copied the H.264 video stream directly into the mkv container, converted the audio into HQ AAC, and haven't used my blu-ray player in a while. Wish it supported VC1. You can also use SamyGo (custom firmware and apps) to enable some extra features on the TV and more media formats as well.

I'd think as long as you have adequate viewing angles to see it in the alcove, you're fine. Heat might be a concern, but considering the cabinets tvs get put in, I'd imagine airflow is better in the alcove than in a cabinet

I bought the LN46B650 about a month ago and really enjoy it. The 650 has the multimedia capabilities for DLNA and USB media playback which are my favorite features of the TV. With the rosewill dual bay enclosure, it recognizes both 1.5Tb drives and plays back most media (sadly, not FLAC). I have ripped most of my blu-ray and copied the H.264 video stream directly into the mkv container, converted the audio into HQ AAC, and haven't used my blu-ray player in a while. Wish it supported VC1. You can also use SamyGo (custom firmware and apps) to enable some extra features on the TV and more media formats as well.

cool. Those features look very useful. So, is there a LED version? :)

I still don't think the lcd led's have the greatest picture. Other than being very thin they are inferior to good plasma's.

I compared them a few times and found the LED to look better in higher light environments. The edge streaking aside of course, which didn't particularly bother me.