HDTV Suggestions

tkam

that would be great for the computer/hdtv user, well it will be better then whats out now. still i would guess the only reason why they have not pushed up resolutions in hdtv cause most people would never use the higher spec, most people are not concerned with the high spec, most if not all the tv/movie has a best of only 1080p, and of course you have to figure the extra stuff in hdtv's cost over the bare monitors..

which brings me to my other thought and why i never really cared for computer monitors in general. the cost for what you get is insane, 22 inches at $150 with two connections and no remote or speakers or tuner? reminds me of Audiophile cable makers. this is why i bought my old Vizio 32 inch lcd in 2005 for a computer monitor, everything else at bb and circuit city was $400 for 19/22 inches where the 32 Vizio was $450-500 with any hdtv tuner, remote, speakers, boat loads more connections and umm a much larger screen size. of course like i said before i dont do any gaming or editing to need the higher resolutions..actually for my normal computer use everyday 1080p is way over kill.

once you get used to a larger monitor device you'll never go back to 22 inches..those displays remind of my itsy bitsy net book screen.

Right, but the rise and fall times for computer LCDs is very low compared to those budget TVs. IMO TN panels (probably what the majority of Best Buy/Circuit City B&M stores stock) are just shit all around so I agree with some of your points, but paying extra for an IPS panel is worth it for the extra color accuracy over a budget HDTV.

Edited by deepak

What do you guys feel are good ~65" options? Preferably ones closer to $2k than $3k...

Is this a good one?

Panasonic - VIERA / 65" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV - TC-P65S1

Go for 2010 Panasonic models, they have better black levels (5,000,000:1 Native vs 2,000,000:1 Native) and new anti-glare filters. S1 is good, I have a G10 same panel, but not as good as new G25/G20 models. They don't come in very large sizes though.

I did not see that black increase level issue that is being discussed at AVS forums by the way.

• 1 month later...

Still seems to have the rising blacks issue. I am probably going to go for the LG 50pk550 instead because of that, and I think it is supposed to also have better 24fps handling. I would prefer the Panny, the issues just concern me too much.

• 3 months later...
Finally looking at our first HDTV purchase. Budget of around $1000 and looking at 46 -55 inch. More concerned with picture quality versus random add ons and extras. Sony Bravia 46ex500 seems to be a decent bet at 900. Feel free to throw anything else out there.

Have you considered a Panasonic Plasma? I've been doing a lot of research into televisions the past few months, and though my budget is different then yours ($500-700, 42-46in, 720p or 1080p) I keep being driven back to the plasma by all the reviews I read. Also my friend works at Best Buy and is a huge plasma fan, he thinks they are the only way to go and has for years. Benefits are you have none of the motion blur associated with LCDs because of the high refresh rate (600hz as opposed to 60-120hz in most LCDs) and more realistic blacks.

Actually another friend of mine just bought a 46" 1080p Panny Plasma from amazon delivered for just under a grand. I need to go over to his place and check it out.

The only possible consideration not to get a plasma is if you are going to regularly try to watch it during conditions in which you can't get the room dark enough (e.g. you don't have room-darkening shades and you regularly plan on watching during the daylight or you have a bright neon sign or streetlight immediately outside the window).

Well, alright, there's also the whole black levels thing.

That doesn't sound right. Were they older models? Here's the only two things I can think of:

1. The screen itself does not flicker, it's an interaction pattern with overhead fluorescent lights (although I thought that was more LCD's than plasmas);
  2. Upscaling problem -- this shouldn't be a problem with the 600Hz sets, do you remember the refresh rates of the sets you were looking at?

That doesn't sound right. Were they older models? Here's the only two things I can think of:

1. The screen itself does not flicker, it's an interaction pattern with overhead fluorescent lights (although I thought that was more LCD's than plasmas);
  2. Upscaling problem -- this shouldn't be a problem with the 600Hz sets, do you remember the refresh rates of the sets you were looking at?

i noticed this in 2 places...Best Buy, and the Crutchfield store. They were current models, however it should be noted that these days most plasma buyers are those who want a big screen at cheaper than LCD prices, so most stores don't carry the high-end plasmas. Both stores did have overhead fluorescent lights. Best Buy's sets were hooked up to whatever distribution setup they have, Crutchfield's setup was a bit better. it was very annoying. For me, glare is also going to be a significant issue.

Still waiting on my Pany 65" VT25. It's finally supposed to ship out from Tampa on Tuesday this week, which means that it will arrive by Thursday and with a little luck I'll be able to clear it from Customs by next weekend.

Apparently, the freight forwarder I'm using in Tampa is a small operation and things have been slow of late, so it has been sitting in their warehouse at the port for about 2 weeks. They were going to send it last week, but still didn't have enough other LCL cargo to justify the cost of sending a half empty shipping container.

i noticed this in 2 places...Best Buy, and the Crutchfield store. They were current models, however it should be noted that these days most plasma buyers are those who want a big screen at cheaper than LCD prices, so most stores don't carry the high-end plasmas. Both stores did have overhead fluorescent lights. Best Buy's sets were hooked up to whatever distribution setup they have, Crutchfield's setup was a bit better. it was very annoying. For me, glare is also going to be a significant issue.
There's a local Crutchfield store? (makes a mental note to look it up)

Yeah, I agree with the distribution system theory -- weak link in most stores. Did you try going into the Magnolia section of a Best Buy? Also, Belmont TV. The one in Laurel is better than any of the others, but they might be a little more accommodating if you went to the closest one to you.

There's a local Crutchfield store? (makes a mental note to look it up)

Yeah, I agree with the distribution system theory -- weak link in most stores. Did you try going into the Magnolia section of a Best Buy? Also, Belmont TV. The one in Laurel is better than any of the others, but they might be a little more accommodating if you went to the closest one to you.

They're based here and as far as I know there are only 2 stores. When you return something, it often ends up in the outlet section as an open box, which can be a way to get something at Amazon pricing with no shipping hassles.

Glare is definitely a big issue on my plasma (LG 50PK550), and temporary image retention, which is completely different than burn in, is annoying sometimes. Picture looks great though in a controlled environment/at night.

I'm in the market at the moment, too. Mostly on the advice of friend in the business, the Panny G-25 50" is on the short list. They seem to be going for $1,000 to $1,100 right now. He's a little obsessive so the plan is for him to watch price trends and then grab three of them at the appropriate moment around Black Friday at some local big box. (Which may be over complicating things, but what the heck.) There seems to be no dignified way to buy these things. one of the ones he's buying will actually be used on the floor of his high end shop. His distributors are several hundred dollars higher than the big boxes. So, if you want to look at the random panel he bought to demo HT audio stuff, great, you can go see it at his store. But actually buying from store that has decent audition conditions is out of the economic question. It's like when I worked at a camera store as a teenager and one of my duties was to go to K-Mart and buy Polaroid merch at about half what if cost us wholesale. Screwed up world.

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P46C2 46-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Panny Plasma, 46", 720p, $632.28

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P46S2 46-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

Panny Plasma, 46", 1080p, anti-reflective coating, $768

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P50C2 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics

Panny Plasma, 50", 720p, $698.97

I have free shipping on all with Amazon prime. I'm more seriously considering the two 46" models. If the $768 model was just 1080p, I would probably go with the 720p model instead. But the AR reflective coating, plus 1080, might make it worth the extra $130. I do have two windows behind the couch, and I remember the right window used to have annoying reflections on my old CRT. Really though I could just close the blinds and the reflection was gone, not that big a deal, but still sometimes it is nice to be able to watch TV and still have some natural sunlight in the room. I don't know, its hard to judge the quality of AR coatings in store, since its not "real world" environment with windows and everything.

anyone care to have a 720p vs 1080p discussion? Mentally I'm fine with 720p after extensive reading, discussion, and viewing TVs in stores, but the other model having the AR coating makes me think maybe I should just bite the bullet and spend the extra cash.

Budget is <$800, viewing distance 9-10ft.

Go with 1080p. It sounds like you won't be happy unless you get it. I hate it when I convince myself I don't "need" something and to get something else because in the long run, I always kick myself in the ass for not spending that little bit more.

I might actually get the same one. It's about time I got a tv.