HDTV Suggestions

tkam

It depends on how far back you are -- I actually have no problem telling the difference between 720p and 1080p, so will be going with 1080p myself (I'm actually 1600p at home). That's one thing that you will be able to tell in stores. If you have no problem (from the appropriate viewing distance, not with your nose pressed up against the glass) with 720p in the store, then you won't have a problem with it at home.

But I don't see the point. Practically everything is 1080p these days. Spend the extra cash. 720p is so...2009.

But I don't see the point. Practically everything is 1080p these days. Spend the extra cash. 720p is so...2009.

Depends on your sources , netflix HD is 720p , apple TV , Hulu etc. OTA HD is 720p or 1080i

its not just the resolution but the bitrate

anyway

resolution_chart.png

Home Theater Calculator: Viewing Distance, Screen Size | CarltonBale.com

maybe worth future proofing , or removing that niggling doubt

...and DVD's (my primary visual sources, I will admit).

I don't have a whole lot of experience with 720p, I actually have more experience with 720p upscaled to 1080p (or higher -- but actually, didn't like the higher, which just means that I prefer the upscaler built into the Oppo than I did the one built into my Dell 30" 1600p screen. Which of course makes sense. That said, my statement was about 720p, not 720p upscaled to 1080p. I haven't liked any 720p large screen tv I've seen in any store, even correcting for difference. Heck, I can tell that they change the scale between the time-filler material they project on the screen in theaters digitally, and when they switch to the trailers.

I'll be honest -- I sit pretty close to my screen at home -- maybe 4 feet. 30", but I have it set so that it doesn't upscale, so 1080p only takes up 1080/1600 of it (vertically, and whatever the corresponding equivalent horizontally).

At Hirsch's, I sit maybe 10-15 feet away from his...52"? 1080p Panny Plasma.

At Dave's, I sit maybe 20-25 feet away from his screen which is...I don't know, huge (4'? ~half the wall high), 1080p, upscaled by...uh...I don't know, now that I think about it...projected by a JVC D-ILA something projector.

But I'll agree with that last statement about future-proofing and niggling-doubt -- If you can, get it for the psychology of getting it. If you really don't think you can tell the difference, then by all means, stop looking, and brainwash yourself into not seeing it, and get the 720p set. You'll only convince yourself you can see the difference, given enough time. Whether or not you can really tell the difference.

Anyone who has bought a plasma or any HDTV through amazon or other online retailer, would love to hear your thoughts on the process. The idea of amazon shipping something like a plasma tv to me seems frightening but would be comforting to hear that it may actually be a smooth safe and no hassle process.

Best Buy's "sale" prices on the TVs I've looked at are so close to Amazon pricing it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Your state's sales tax may change your opinion.

Anyone who has bought a plasma or any HDTV through amazon or other online retailer, would love to hear your thoughts on the process. The idea of amazon shipping something like a plasma tv to me seems frightening but would be comforting to hear that it may actually be a smooth safe and no hassle process.

I have no personal experience buying a TV from Amazon, but they are hugely popular over at avsforum. I've heard nothing but good things about their shipping, and 30 day return policy. Just have to make sure you are actually buying from amazon and not from a third party seller through amazon. I know it seems weird having a TV shipped to your house, but hey, that thing is coming off a truck somewhere, might as well be your house. :) I did order my lawnmower from amazon, and its kick ass.

I'm actually planning on buying my TV from amazon next weekend. That will put the delivery timeframe when my GF is on vacation and will be home to sign for it. However this also gives me time to pricewatch amazon, best buy, and walmart. The price of the model I want has risen on amazon so we'll see.

I'm also in the market for a LED-LCD TV. I'm willing to spend up to $2,000. There's no urgency, but does anyone think it'd be worth holding off until after Christmas? There are supposedly good sales kicking off on Black Friday, but there are usually better deals after Boxing Day. I could bite after Thanksgiving, but would it be worth waiting to knock a few hundred off a 55"?

I'm also in the market for a LED-LCD TV. I'm willing to spend up to $2,000. There's no urgency, but does anyone think it'd be worth holding off until after Christmas? There are supposedly good sales kicking off on Black Friday, but there are usually better deals after Boxing Day. I could bite after Thanksgiving, but would it be worth waiting to knock a few hundred off a 55"?

i think this is where I will end up and im looking at the Samsung UN55C7000, or UN46C8000 if 46" is the right size. too bad LCD jumps 46" to 55". i think 50" is perfect but thats plasma only.

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. I'VE CALLED 911.

Shortly after I made my post praising the plasma television, I blacked out. When I woke up the television was gone, and my left hand smelled funny. Thanks for trying to warn me, but I think its too late. Unless the worst is yet to come... :(

How are the black levels on your s2 postie? I know I shouldn't put too much credence into the instore best buy demos, but the s2 didn't look too hot, whereas the one g25 display they had looked significantly better. Of course the g25 appeared to be on an isolated setup, whereas the s2 was setup along a wall with doZens of other tvs.

How are the black levels on your s2 postie? I know I shouldn't put too much credence into the instore best buy demos, but the s2 didn't look too hot, whereas the one g25 display they had looked significantly better. Of course the g25 appeared to be on an isolated setup, whereas the s2 was setup along a wall with doZens of other tvs.

black levels look great to me, but keep in mind i'm coming from a 4 year old 32" Westinghouse, and I am most definitely NOT super experienced in lots of high end televisions. Having said that, the scenes I am mostly in awe of are the night time scenes. We are watching season 6 of Lost right now on DVD, and the night scenes around a campfire are just glorious. the darkness and the light from the flames are just awesome.